Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI Dividend is in, what can I get now?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I was on the REI website today and noticed that a couple weeks ago they increased the cost of a membership from $20 to $30. Of course that doesn't apply to those of us who are already members.

What does affect us is that shipping for members is now free ($50 minimum not required anymore) and we get 20% off on bike repairs and free flat tire repair labor.

When I was a kid I put patches on bike tires all the time. Does anyone still do that? Now I just replace the tube.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

When I was a kid I put patches on bike tires all the time. Does anyone still do that? Now I just replace the tube.
      When i was poor, my tubes had more patches than a typical release of Android software. Now when I get a flat, I buy a new bike.

Just kidding. I keep a spare tube in my underseat bag. And it's always the rear tire that goes flat.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Tying the last few posts together...

I gave my hybrid bike to my daughter so she could use it in a mini-triathalon. Now she's using it to commute to work. On the second day of bike commuting, she got a flat in the rear tire. I talked her through the tube replacement process and she went to REI to get the new tube. Installed, inflated, elated.

I don't think she knew about the free replacement offer but I'm glad she wanted to figure it out for herself. A spare tube or patch kit doesn't do much good if you don't know how to remove and install a tube and tire.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • So, I just got back from REI. Doing a little last minute shopping before a hike. I treated myself well, new trail shoes, new sleep pad, and three pairs of expensive Darn Tough stocks. Normally I would scour the Internet for bargains, or wait for these items to hit the REI discount bins. This time I did not care because the I had over $50 in 'Dividends' coming to help me to ease the pain.

Guy at the cash Register, '$260 sir"
      Smiling, I hand him my dividend cards.
      "There are no dividends left in these accounts, sir. Looks like another family member has used them."

My beautiful bride beat me to it again!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

So, I just got back from REI. Doing a little last minute shopping before a hike. I treated myself well, new trail shoes, new sleep pad, and three pairs of expensive Darn Tough stocks. Normally I would scour the Internet for bargains, or wait for these items to hit the REI discount bins. This time I did not care because the I had over $50 in 'Dividends' coming to help me to ease the pain.

"There are no dividends left in these accounts, sir. Looks like another family member has used them."

If you are still calling her your beautiful bride, everything must be alright. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

So, I just got back from REI. Doing a little last minute shopping before a hike. I treated myself well, new trail shoes, new sleep pad, and three pairs of expensive Darn Tough stocks. Normally I would scour the Internet for bargains, or wait for these items to hit the REI discount bins. This time I did not care because the I had over $50 in 'Dividends' coming to help me to ease the pain.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference