Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

My DIY Dirt Bag UL Pillow

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My DIY Dirt Bag UL Pillow

Last time I went hiking, I didn't really plan for a pillow and paid dearly for it. Anything I improvised didn't really work. Having just completely retooled my kit for the future, I rethought my pillow options. I tend to be a side sleeper so I really need something to prop up my head. For my hike this summer, I thought I would use the UL trick of using my clothes bag for a pillow. But unfortunately, in the summer I won't have enough extra clothes to make this work. I shopped around but wasn't too happy with the camping pillow options. They all seemed pretty heavy and pretty expensive. Then I saw someone recommend an inflatable, disposable hospital pillow, available from medical supply stores:

http://www.colonialmedical.com/flexair-pillow-P-2451.html

I ordered three (size large) for $0.95 each. With shipping it came to $2.60 each. You could get up to 5 for the same shipping cost which would bring the price down to $1.94 each. I then went to the fabric store. They have two big bins of fleece scraps. For $4.50 I got a piece of very soft, stretchy forest green fleece that is about 62" long and 23" wide. This is enough to make three pillow cases so the total cost for one pillow and case is $4.10. I cut a piece of fleece 23" by 19", folded it in half with the fuzzier side in, and sewed the ends together (along the 19" length. This gave a flat pillowcase that was 11" by 19" (the same size as the pillow) and open on both ends. The pillow has an internal valve. You insert a plastic drinking straw (comes with the pillow) in a hole in the side of the pillow. It takes about 4 breaths to inflate. When you pull out the straw, the valve seals. To deflate, insert the straw and squeeze. It is about 7" tall when inflated, or if you use it on its side, it's about 9" tall. It seems quite comfy. I'll try it in bed tonight. The pillow weight about 1 oz and the case about 1.5 oz for a total of 2.5 oz.

If you like wine in a box, the bladder inside the box might make the guts of a pillow, but probably not as light as other suggestions here. In 2011, I drank my way through a couple of boxes so I could have a spare. Has anyone used one to hold water?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

stoviewander wrote:

If you like wine in a box, the bladder inside the box might make the guts of a pillow, but probably not as light as other suggestions here. In 2011, I drank my way through a couple of boxes so I could have a spare. Has anyone used one to hold water?

Never used one to hold water but I can tell ya, you can get the good stuff at
      Walmart for $8.97 for 3 liters.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Cool idea. Right now I still use a stuff sack with whatever clothing I'm not wearing, and sleep OK. I'm never wearing every stitch; I always have at least my rainsuit available to stuff the sack. I often have my midlayers available as well, because I generally believe in bringing a sleeping bag that will keep me comfortable while wearing just baselayer, gloves, socks and balaclava or beanie. (If the weather is much colder than forecast, I then have a reserve for safety.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

BirdBrain wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'll try it in bed tonight.

Are you still sleeping. Inquiring weenies need to know. I am embarrassed to say how much my pillow weighs. My hiking partner tried one of those. He said it was too loud to sleep on. If your construction is not, I am about to build one too.

I did get a good night's sleep with it. It's not as comfortable as my big memory foam pillow, but that must weigh 5 lbs. I did notice of noise when I moved sometime. Also, I had to deflate a bit. If it is fully inflated it doesn't cradle my head well enough. Certainly my best option as of now. The few clothes I will have for a summer trip will go in a plastic grocery bag (weight and cost ~0). that would make a very sucky pillow.