Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Maintenance and Volunteering

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Volunteers Donate More than 200,000 Hours in 2014 to Maintaining the Appalachian Trail

Harpers Ferry, WV (Jan. 8, 2015) – The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is pleased to announce that for fiscal year 2014, 5,617 volunteers reported 241,936 hours to maintaining and protecting the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) for hikers to use. Since the ATC began collecting reports in 1983, individuals have contributed more than 5 million hours to the A.T., resulting in a volunteer network that is recognized worldwide.

You can read the rest of the article HERE
    • LIhikers wrote:

Volunteers Donate More than 200,000 Hours in 2014 to Maintaining the Appalachian Trail

Harpers Ferry, WV (Jan. 8, 2015) – The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is pleased to announce that for fiscal year 2014, 5,617 volunteers reported 241,936 hours to maintaining and protecting the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) for hikers to use. Since the ATC began collecting reports in 1983, individuals have contributed more than 5 million hours to the A.T., resulting in a volunteer network that is recognized worldwide.

You can read the rest of the article HERE

Thanks to Coach Lou and the other 5,616! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

For you Metro NY folks who would like to get all dirty, here is our spring project schedule.

LDTC 2015 Spring schedule.pdf

This project is just sobo of 7 lakes parkway @ Bear mtn., climbing West Mountain on the north end.

I am trying to get the key to get in the work camp barracks.

Just checked my calendar and of course everyone of these weekends are "kids" weekends. I would have liked to done a weekend.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

For you Metro NY folks who would like to get all dirty, here is our spring project schedule.

This project is just sobo of 7 lakes parkway @ Bear mtn., climbing West Mountain on the north end.

Just checked my calendar and of course everyone of these weekends are "kids" weekends. I would have liked to done a weekend.

I also have a teen age step......she has a green hard hat :rolleyes: .................................................................................. PooFan
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Lou, how is it that you got involved with trail work in NY instead of CT anyway? Not that I mind either way, just curious.

We hiked in Mass in '13', they had a work weekend, we went. We hiked in Ny in '14', LI Hiker posted the RPH work weekend/ BBQ, we went. I got snagged by that crew that does the building, and it is way cool. And I am getting to know the Hudson Highlands very well. And it is 1.5 hrs from work.
      I have emailed the guy who schedules Connecticut work projects and I have a schedule printed. The repair to the Riga shelter is 16 May, Saturday. I really want to go. Our Ny work crew has been invited to a tour/hike of the ice caves in The Shawangunks, and OV and Mackenzie want to go, and that is on the 17th.
      I have their schedule of projects....I would like to make a cameo, but we have a 3 month project in Harriman, and I really would like to get some miles in this year. Last year I was out alot....untill I got hooked up with this crew and most of my walking was with tools to a work site.
    • We go almost every year. Sometimes for the whole weekend, sometimes just for a day.
      It all depends how much other stuff we have to do on that weekend. I think, but I'm not sure, that it's usually the 3rd weekend of July.

Hey, I'll see if I can find out the date so as many of the AT Café folks as possible can plan ahead.
      Last year it was Coach and OV, me and Kathy, and Rafe if I remember right. Maybe we could make a bigger showing this year.
    • CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Lou, how is it that you got involved with trail work in NY instead of CT anyway? Not that I mind either way, just curious.

We hiked in Mass in '13', they had a work weekend, we went. We hiked in Ny in '14', LI Hiker posted the RPH work weekend/ BBQ, we went. I got snagged by that crew that does the building, and it is way cool. And I am getting to know the Hudson Highlands very well. And it is 1.5 hrs from work.
      I have emailed the guy who schedules Connecticut work projects and I have a schedule printed. The repair to the Riga shelter is 16 May, Saturday. I really want to go. Our Ny work crew has been invited to a tour/hike of the ice caves in The Shawangunks, and OV and Mackenzie want to go, and that is on the 17th.
      I have their schedule of projects....I would like to make a cameo, but we have a 3 month project in Harriman, and I really would like to get some miles in this year. Last year I was out alot....untill I got hooked up with this crew and most of my walking was with tools to a work site.

The ice caves are cool! Especially in the summer.
      RIAP
    • CoachLou wrote:

I am bumping this up again....next week we start a new project.
    • Well, if any of you made it....I hope you had fun working on the trail..............because I didn't.

On Friday morning I put the fish car up in the air to do maintenance, an all day job I figure-d.

No....it is my own car so..........this broke, that was rusted solid, while here I did this and that.

I left @ 9pm Friday nite, more to do Saturday, and I call the crew chief and tell him I won't be there Saturday.

..............Saturday 1 o'clockish, I am wraping it up, I assemble the front brakes, and find MY OWN parts department sent me front rotors for the Spec Gt.......and do you think they have mine in stock?

I was not laughing.............so on Sunday, I did some yard work.

......but, the front end is all rebuilt. It gets new sneakers this week, 4 wheel alignment, tranny flush and oil change.........and she is ready for a road trip!!!

203,000 and racing Caddy CTSs and BMWs this morning :)
    • CoachLou wrote:

Well, if any of you made it....I hope you had fun working on the trail..............because I didn't.

On Friday morning I put the fish car up in the air to do maintenance, an all day job I figure-d.

No....it is my own car so..........this broke, that was rusted solid, while here I did this and that.

I left @ 9pm Friday nite, more to do Saturday, and I call the crew chief and tell him I won't be there Saturday.

..............Saturday 1 o'clockish, I am wraping it up, I assemble the front brakes, and find MY OWN parts department sent me front rotors for the Spec Gt.......and do you think they have mine in stock?

......but, the front end is all rebuilt. It gets new sneakers this week, 4 wheel alignment, tranny flush and oil change.........and she is ready for a road trip!!!

You sound like me when I'm in the kitchen at home!
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • CoachLou wrote:

Well, if any of you made it....I hope you had fun working on the trail..............because I didn't.

That's a Subaru!
      Re trail maintenance - On my recent first aid course were two guys from the area where I am moving to that do trail maintenance. I said I intended to join when I move down. They advised me there is a waiting list to join the crew and "turnover" is slow! Guess I will join the volunteer fire fighters instead....
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Lookin' like a nice weekend......come on down.......git dirty!
    • CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Lookin' like a nice weekend......come on down.......git dirty!
      Would love nothin more...one a deez days, one of these days.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I can't wait for the snow to melt so that Kathy and I can go out and look for surveyors monuments on the boundaries of the AT land we monitor.
      Well, we finally got out to do boundary monitoring of our section.
      It was raining as we drove north to Graymoor Spiritual Life Center.
      Our section runs right through their property as the Nation Park Service has an easement for the trail.
      The corridor of land under park service control is quite narrow, all things considered.
      Our section runs south, down to route 9, and north a little ways past where the shrine to the Virgin Mary used to be.
      The shrine has been taken down because it turned into a party spot for local community.
      It's now a nice blue blazed place to take a break.
      The northern end of our section is where there's an aqueduct to supply water to New York City.
      It's buried so you can't see it but I've been told that is 50 feet of trail that will NEVER be under federal control.
      As we walked the boundaries we found most of the surveyor's monuments, some have been missing since we started doing this.
      We also found 1 monument that seems to have become victim of a snow plow, the monument was sheered right off of the aluminum pole it was mounted on. The only other problem we found is that a neighbor has dumped a huge pile of brush on the land.
      I'll pass the problems up to my supervisor, who lives much closer to the area than we do.
      I finally remembered to bring a camera and I'll post the photos when I get time.
    • Last year there were several of us from the Café that joined in for this work weekend.There's plenty of varied jobs to do during the day and then plenty of down time in the evenings and nights to make new friends and have a good time. I would encourage any A.T. enthusiasts to clear their calendar for that weekend and plan on joining in. Whether it's just 1 day or the entire weekend your participation will be appreciated.Hey, even hard work can be fun when you don't have to worry about being fired!See the "Contact Us" page of their website for a driving map to the cabin.
      RPH Cabin Work Weekend
      Be There & Make This Year's
      Work Weekend a huge success!

July 10 - 12, 2015

• This year's projects:
      • Repair and paint 2 bridges. Both bridges have seen heavy loads this past winter and will need some TLC. In 2008 raised wooden walk ways were constructed at RPH. These structures have seen the test of time. Several feet of the walkway has degraded and will be replaced with new lumber. Pain the inside of RPH Cabin. Build two 8x8 tent platforms behind RPH Cabin. Rebuild 100 feet of washed out trail at the Fahnestock State Park Appalachian Trail rehab project.
      • We need 40-50 people each day in order to complete this year's projects. No matter what your skill level there will be plenty to do for everyone. We will be camping out and working all weekend, bring your tent and ambition. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner served, you will be WELL FED! For the past eight years RPHCabin Volunteers Club have gathered at RPH in July to do something good for the trail. In the past, the crew has painted the shelter, built a new outhouse, raised the trail with a tread way to combat erosion from flooding, built stone steps,installed numerous water control bars on the trail and more. This years projects are the most ambitious yet and we need your help. If you would like to spend the weekend with fellow hikers and give back something to the trail please put this on your calendar. Contact us with any questions. sites.google.com/site/rphcabin/
    • The RPH weekend is fast approaching. They will have two NY/NJ crews on hand........'The Rovers' and LDTC. Should be quite a shindig!
      This past weekend we continued up towards Perkins Drive. It was drizzling most of the weekend, so not many pics.
      Saturday afternoon we were treated to a talk and tour, by Ed the park biologist.
      He gave a wonderful talk on Rattlers, and a good talk on the micro-zone we will be moving thru soon.