Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Maintenance and Volunteering

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

mental note wrote:

Nice job Lou! Perhaps it's obviously to some,but I don't know much about the why for's and how comes of trail design, what does that bridging do? I understand the swampy areas, but he areas up higher on the ridge. Enjoyed the video, I wanted to hike longer, thanks Brada.
      As I understand it.....the south slope to the trail gets real wet and this entire area is mud when in a wet season. The original puncheon was sliding down hill and deteriorating. We put new stuff in, dug big enough holes for the support logs, to sit them in crushed stone. and stepped the path and made them level so you don't go for a ride when wet or icey.
      We have some pretty talented folks on this crew, and they make sure we all know what where and why we are doing it.
      Cool, good to know, thanks.
    • CoachLou wrote:

mental note wrote:

Nice job Lou! Perhaps it's obviously to some,but I don't know much about the why for's and how comes of trail design, what does that bridging do? I understand the swampy areas, but he areas up higher on the ridge. Enjoyed the video, I wanted to hike longer, thanks Brada.

As I understand it.....the south slope to the trail gets real wet and this entire area is mud when in a wet season. The original puncheon was sliding down hill and deteriorating. We put new stuff in, dug big enough holes for the support logs, to sit them in crushed stone. and stepped the path and made them level so you don't go for a ride when wet or icey.
      We have some pretty talented folks on this crew, and they make sure we all know what where and why we are doing it.

The ones that astonish me are the ones on rafts, because there's no solid bottom anywhere for the footings.
      [IMG:https://c7.staticflickr.com/4/3950/15402044190_8ff1683782_z.jpg]

I really don't like the new ones of dimensioned lumber as well as the old-school puncheon bridges. The broadaxe cuts offered better traction. When the dimensioned planks get algae-covered, they get slippery, and a lot of them are not level. I remember one where I absolutely could not keep my footing, as soon as I tried to stand up on the tilted part, I slid right off again. I eventually managed to pass the tilted area by jamming my poles into the gaps between the planks and stepping on the uphill side of them. It was slow going. It would have been faster just to wade.

Only thing worse are the 'fun-house' bridges. Try crossing this one in heavy rain or sleet.
      [IMG:https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/469/19585046462_a510960221_z.jpg]

And since mental note wants to hike longer, here's another couple of minutes of bog bridge:
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

mental note wrote:

The ones that astonish me are the ones on rafts, because there's no solid bottom anywhere for the footings.
      [IMG:https://c7.staticflickr.com/4/3950/15402044190_8ff1683782_z.jpg]

I really don't like the new ones of dimensioned lumber as well as the old-school puncheon bridges. The broadaxe cuts offered better traction. When the dimensioned planks get algae-covered, they get slippery, and a lot of them are not level. I remember one where I absolutely could not keep my footing, as soon as I tried to stand up on the tilted part, I slid right off again. I eventually managed to pass the tilted area by jamming my poles into the gaps between the planks and stepping on the uphill side of them. It was slow going. It would have been faster just to wade.

Only thing worse are the 'fun-house' bridges. Try crossing this one in heavy rain or sleet.
      [IMG:https://c7.staticflickr.com/1/469/19585046462_a510960221_z.jpg]

And since mental note wants to hike longer, here's another couple of minutes of bog bridge:

thanks, I'll night hike this later. :D
    • CoachLou wrote:

Out on the trail again (...pictures...)
      What's the current project? Still working on hardening the AT in Harriman, or doing the repairs up in the Shawangunks, or what?

It'll be nice when the unexpected urgent stuff dies back enough that the LDTC can work again on making the connection from Wawarsing to Vernooy Kill Falls. The route has been flagged for long enough that the flagging
      will surely have to be refreshed before construction starts. It's just been one thing after another getting in the way.

I've whacked the route and it's nice country - surely a lot nicer than roadwalking ten miles from Port Ben to Riggsville when you could go all the way in state forest!

But I know how thin you guys are stretched, so I'm not really complaining, just wistful. You guys (well, your colleagues - I think this was before you joined LDTC) did an awesome job with the Cross Mountain trail and Warner Ridge. One of these years, LP is going to be an absolute jewel!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • We are in fact hardening the steep gully as the AT nears the top of the climb up West Mtn., nobo before the Blue Blaze to West Mtn. shelter. And next time out, LDTC will be at Sam's Point again. I will miss Sam's Point AGAIN!!!! That weekend my friend and I go on our annual fishing trip to Penns Creek. The work week after that is also at Sam's Point, but Saturday there will be a memorial for Jakob Franke at NY/NJ headquarters. There is talk of a Memorial weekend on the Long Path north of the Catz, but i know no details. I myself would like to fish in the Catz myself, that weekend!!!!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I hate to admit it but Kathy and I haven't gotten out to do our boundary monitoring this spring.
      And the way it looks, it will probably be August until we can get to it.
      We also haven't gotten out for an overnighter in May and we'll probably miss June too.
      I hate it when real life gets in the way of the things I enjoy. :(
    • LIhikers wrote:

I hate to admit it but Kathy and I haven't gotten out to do our boundary monitoring this spring.
      And the way it looks, it will probably be August until we can get to it.
      We also haven't gotten out for an overnighter in May and we'll probably miss June too.
      I hate it when real life gets in the way of the things I enjoy. :(
      There's always the back deck.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • [IMG:https://www.nynjtc.org/sites/default/files/nynj-logo_0.png]

18th Annual Appalachian Trail BBQ, Trail Work & Camp Out at Mile 1,424 Set for July 14-16
      May 05, 2017
      Tim Messerich, Trail Work Crew Leader, RPHCVC
      New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

The Appalachian Trail BBQ and trail work weekend at RPH Shelter in Dutchess County, N.Y., is sponsored by Ralph’s Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteers Club, a Trail Conference maintaining club.

For the last 17 years, even before Ralph’s Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteers Club was a maintaining club of the Trail Conference, we held a BBQ on the second week of July. The food is just bloody GREAT! (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes even into Monday morning. Holy SMORGASBORDS! Need I say more!) We accomplish lots of work on the Appalachian Trail and the RPH Cabin, too.
      RPH Cabin Campout.jpg
      [IMG:https://www.nynjtc.org/sites/default/files/styles/media_default_500px/public/RPH%20Cabin%20Campout.jpg?itok=hZznKFUd]

All trail restoration work is near the cabin site or within 10 miles of it.
      Projects on our schedule this year include:
      1. Cabin ceiling hole needs to be patched up (sheet rock).
      2. Water dam repairs north and south of the cabin.
      3. Vines have moved back in. They need removal again.
      4. Paint cabin floor.
      5. General clean up of cabin grounds and flower garden.
      6. Seth Lyon Memorial Bridge needs a complete paint job (80 percent finished as of May 2016).
      7. Repair/replace steps at Miller Hill Road crossing.
      8. Stone steps project in Fahnestock State Park.
      9. Food preparation and serving for BBQ.
      Tools will be provided, but please email Tim Messerich, RPH Cabin Crew Leader, if you can bring any of your own. Your help would be most appreciated.
      Details of the Day
      Trail Work
      Ralph's Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteers Club mission is to service the RPH Cabin, support Appalachian Trail thru-hikers, and assist A.T. trail maintenance through the method of teaching and training members in necessary skills. All volunteers at all skill levels are more than welcome. For those who don’t have any tools for the projects, we the club members have them. We are more than happy to teach all volunteers.
      Camp Out
      Camping is right on the mowed lawn of RPH Cabin and on tent platforms south of cabin. We have spots for about 20 campers or so. Off site camping is also not a problem. If you need to be picked up from the train station we can work that out all to.
      Address for Google Maps or Mapquest: 753 Hortontown Road, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
      Directions
      Taconic State Parkway to exit for Miller Hill Road. Go west. Turn left on Hortontown Road. The cabin is on the right after the large open field. There is no longer parking allowed on Hortontown Road, near or opposite the cabin. There will be parking available on the cabin grounds for a limited number of vehicles. If you park at the cabin, please leave your name and cell phone number in the window of your vehicle. Additional parking is permissible on Miller Hill Road underneath the Taconic Parkway overpass and at a local church. Call Tim at 845.401.8817 for parking and shuttle information.
      About Ralph’s Peak Hikers Cabin Volunteers Club
      Throughout the season (March through September) RPHCVC does trail restoration projects on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., depending on the weather. But the weather never stops us that much.
      During the nicer weather the club will go on some hikes along the Appalachian Trail. Please see our website for updated details.
      Remember, folks—the Appalachian National Scenic Trail is right in your backyard. We are the club maintaining a national park. Just think how cool that is. Our club, RPH Cabin Volunteers, gives the long-distance hiker, the local hiker, or just the easy-stroll-in-the-park folks the chance to get away from it all.
      Please contact me if interested in joining. Our membership is only 20 bucks for one year! I look forward to hearing from you soon. Come out and meet us July 14-16!
      For more information, contact Tim Messerich at 845.401.8817 or bascomgrillmaster@yahoo.com, or visit http://rphcabin.org.
    • Well I will be there, as this is the weekend that I hooked up with the Crew that I work with. I am now a non-card carrying member of RPH. I now get crews to go off on projects for this weekend, I get the emails and work date schedules.

I can't help thinking that I would have finished this trail by now if I hiked instead of worked these last 4 years!

....it is all good, you folks should get involved locally, it is very rewarding.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Two days of trail maintenance on The Colorado Trail. The first day was a solid 16 mile hike with lots of blow down clearing. The second day was more of a mellow walk through with lopping and similar trimming.

The best part? :)
      Images
      • trail-beer.jpg

137 kB, 800×450, viewed 263 times
    • PaulMags wrote:

Two days of trail maintenance on The Colorado Trail. The first day was a solid 16 mile hike with lots of blow down clearing. The second day was more of a mellow walk through with lopping and similar trimming.

The best part? :)
      What sections were covered? Any appreciable snowpack?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • PaulMags wrote:

Quite a few of us did some trailwork on Segment 12 of the Collegiate East Saturday. A smaller group of us did some work on Segment 14 on Sunday. The Western portion looks snowy. The East is rather nice.
      After reading that letter to the editor you wrote, I'd have thought that you would be working on NH trails. :P Smile019
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Quite a few of us did some trailwork on Segment 12 of the Collegiate East Saturday. A smaller group of us did some work on Segment 14 on Sunday. The Western portion looks snowy. The East is rather nice.
      After reading that letter to the editor you wrote, I'd have thought that you would be working on NH trails. :P Smile019
      Well, apparently I've been backpacking since I was just born, have a husband, and a son, too. :O
    • PaulMags wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Well, apparently I've been backpacking since I was just born, have a husband, and a son, too. :O
      I nearly responded to that one, but it would have bordered on trolling.
      [IMG:https://www.bklynlibrary.org/sites/default/files/styles/eventcal_large/public/images/events/calendar/reading_is_fundamental_8_5.jpg?itok=OmM7aoUL]
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Yesterday, kind of on the spur of the moment kinda thing, I went to "our" section of the AT lands to do some boundary maintenance work.
      Armed with a paint brush and yellow paint, supplied ultimately by the National Park Service through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and then the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference, I went and repainted yellow blazes. Yellow blazes mark the exterior lines of the trail corridor and act as witness marks for the 3 inch metal discs that are implanted in the corridor boundary lines. It took 7 hours to do 2 small parcels since at each location I peeled away any loose bark, then wire brushed the area, and then finally repainted the markings. It was really the wrong season to do this as I had to work my way through heavy brush on a couple of the lines. This is less than 1/2 the area we look after and so I'll be making more trips in the near future. When I was nearly back to the car I ran into 4 SOBOers who were going to stay the night at Graymoor. We had an interesting time talking about their hike and they headed toward the ball field and me to the car. Besides the 7 hours of work I also spent 4.75 hours driving back and fourth, so it was a full day.
      Actually, it was a great way to spend a nice day. :) If you enjoy bushwacking, you'd enjoy doing this.