Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Learn from Our Mistakes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Learn from Our Mistakes

I had a nearly empty quart container of Klean-Strip denatured alcohol. I wanted to dispose of it in an environmentally sound way, and I thought burning off the remaining alcohol would be good. So I punched a hole at the top corner with a church key, and held the flame of a lighter to the opening. In the blink of an eye, the alcohol burned off. A flame shot out like a blow torch and seared about an inch of skin on my right thumb and smaller patches of skin on other fingers. Thank God no permanent damage was done. You cannot tell by looking at my hand that I did this. I poured clear diet soda on the burn, since I did not have clean water. I flexed my fingers frequently. I guess that promotes circulation. The first aid manual did not explain why I should do so. After an hour or so, my screaming nerve endings quieted down to a dull roar. It took some weeks for the skin to grow back.

I have repeated this procedure, but with a long stick dipped in alcohol and lit as my ignition source. I punch more holes and keep my hands and other parts of my body well clear of the holes. Please do not try this at home, or anywhere else.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

The only times I've ever seen an alky stove explode, it's because it's lost pressure and flames have been sucked back into the chamber. Then it over-pressurizes- instantaneously - with combustion gases and blows. I don't think I've ever seen one blow from overpressure just from the boiling alcohol.

That's why, for instance, on the Penny Stove, the fill hole is 3 little holes rather than one big one. Flame could easily burn back into a big hole and light the surface of the fuel in the cup - ka-flooey.

I sometimes get some pretty huge jets from my Penny if I over-prime it. (It's only self-priming down to freezing or so.) But it never seems to build up enough pressure even to shift the press fit, much less to blow.

Of course, the next time I light it could prove me wrong. If I show up with no eyebrows you'll know what happened.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BB, I agree that nothing is more important than taking care of your feet.

Since I've started packing again in '11', I have lost the same toe nail 4 times......it is now about to leave again.....from only 2 days of walking 2 weeks ago! :huh:

I'm missing 5 toe nails right now. Both big toes, 2 others on one foot and 1 on the other. This is from 35 miles under water back in Feb. To tell you the truth I like it better when they're missing. Now I keep filing them down with the board. This slows the re-growth down but eventually they'll come fully back. But for now it sure is nice not to have to worry about 'em.

Yeah, we joke about the ul'ers getting their toenails removed but really, it's so much better when they're gone.

Coming back pretty good. Don't look if you just ate.

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Learn from Our Mistakes

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Since I've started packing again in '11', I have lost the same toe nail 4 times......it is now about to leave again.....from only 2 days of walking 2 weeks ago! :huh:

I'm missing 5 toe nails right now. Both big toes, 2 others on one foot and 1 on the other. This is from 35 miles under water back in Feb. To tell you the truth I like it better when they're missing. Now I keep filing them down with the board. This slows the re-growth down but eventually they'll come fully back. But for now it sure is nice not to have to worry about 'em.

Yeah, we joke about the ul'ers getting their toenails removed but really, it's so much better when they're gone.

When I wear sandals, I paint my toe nails, even the missing ones. It makes them look much better.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

When I wear sandals, I paint my toe nails, even the missing ones. It makes them look much better.

What color do you suggest?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

What color do you suggest?

The brightest red you can find.
      Lost in the right direction.

stoviewander wrote:

I had a nearly empty quart container of Klean-Strip denatured alcohol. I wanted to dispose of it in an environmentally sound way, and I thought burning off the remaining alcohol would be good. So I punched a hole at the top corner with a church key, and held the flame of a lighter to the opening. In the blink of an eye, the alcohol burned off. A flame shot out like a blow torch and seared about an inch of skin on my right thumb and smaller patches of skin on other fingers. Thank God no permanent damage was done. You cannot tell by looking at my hand that I did this. I poured clear diet soda on the burn, since I did not have clean water. I flexed my fingers frequently. I guess that promotes circulation. The first aid manual did not explain why I should do so. After an hour or so, my screaming nerve endings quieted down to a dull roar. It took some weeks for the skin to grow back.

I have repeated this procedure, but with a long stick dipped in alcohol and lit as my ignition source. I punch more holes and keep my hands and other parts of my body well clear of the holes. Please do not try this at home, or anywhere else.

interesting story - had you poured it down stream it would have chemically acquired other water molecules and dissipated in a minute. - It cannot hurt the environment.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

That kinda looks like there might be a fungus amongus. I had some on one of my toenails after a long section hike. I soaked it every night in a white vinegar and water mix and coated it twice a day with vick's vapor rub. The yellow stuff fell off after two weeks and my nail slowly grew back.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

WiseOldOwl wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

interesting story - had you poured it down stream it would have chemically acquired other water molecules and dissipated in a minute. - It cannot hurt the environment.

The product label led me to believe otherwise. Please see http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/Gal%20Denatured%20Alcohol%20GSL26%20C0919.pdf

"DISPOSAL: If container is corroded, rusted or shows signs of deterioration, dispose of product.
      Dispose of empty cans and leftover product at your local household hazardous waste collection
      facility. If one is not available, dispose of in accordance with federal, state and local regulations."
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does