Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Wild Life

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just watched the most amazing movie, well half of it anyway.
      "The Bear" was filmed in 1988, its about a Kodiak bear (Bart the bear) and its cub trying to avoid hunters in British Columbia and the pitfalls and troubles a young cub without its momma can get into. The cimema photography is great, the musical scores are by "the london symphony orchestra" and the interaction between hunting dogs, mountain lion and some magic mushrooms the cub eats (and takes a little "Trip") is done comically well. Liked it so much I found it on the net so I can watch the beginning...enjoy it if you've a mind to.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Socks ().

• Watching PBS. There's a show on about wildlife that uses spy cams to study animal groups. There's spy pup, spy hatchling (crocodile and bird hatchlings) spy prairie dog...

The spy pup was cool, he moves and makes different gestures to fit in with the pack...submissive, playful.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• meat wrote:

Just watched the most amazing movie, well half of it anyway.
      "The Bear" was filmed in 1988, its about a Kodiak bear (Bart the bear) and its cub trying to avoid hunters in British Columbia and the pitfalls and troubles a young cub without its momma can get into. The cimema photography is great, the musical scores are by "the london symphony orchestra" and the interaction between hunting dogs, mountain lion and some magic mushrooms the cub eats (and takes a little "Trip") is done comically well. Liked it so much I found it on the net so I can watch the beginning...enjoy it if you've a mind to.

Ha! I remember seeing that one in the theatre.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • odd man out wrote:

Not sure if this counts, but we had a mouse invade our kitchen drawer and eat an entire bag of Valentine's Day candy. So I emptied the drawer, cleaned it out, put in a mouse trap and exactly 60 minutes later, snap. I put the trap back in to see if he had an accomplice.
      Lovers will always leap for one another, as relayed in this short poem I'm paraphrasing

I'd weep for her
      I'd leap for her
      I'd go without my sleep for her.

I'd fight for her
      I'd bite for her
      I'd walk the streets all night for her.

I'd lie for her
      I'd cry for her
      but damn me if I'll die for her. :D
    • I watched a deer climb up the steep slope on the far side of the C&O canal this morning near Harpers Ferry. Six geese made lots of noise as I approached, and one by one flew off into the Potomac. The swift current carried them downstream until they reached a slower running spot near some rocks. A squirrel crossed the railroad tracks at the H.F. station.
    • I did not see the specific culprit (though the neighbors did). I just walked outside one morning to see the tell-tale signs of a trespasser. It crossed my driveway, walked up my sidewalk, nibbled on the tree by my front door, waded through the front yard back out to the main sidewalk, then cut back down beside my house to stop and chew on each tree and bush along the way.

The picture is really far off because it was super cold, I only had my phone and I had to take off one glove just to get it which wasn't pleasant (I usually commute by foot to and from my job, even when it's below zero because it's just too close to my house to justify driving unless it's pouring rain or blizzard conditions). These are my raven friends. They live in my neighborhood and often visit my workplace as well. I see or hear them every day. They tree hop and follow me to and from work and have a specific vocalization they use when they see me. Out of all the ravens, I always know these two just by their unique sounds. It's pretty cool how smart they are.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I did not see the specific culprit (though the neighbors did). I just walked outside one morning to see the tell-tale signs of a trespasser. It crossed my driveway, walked up my sidewalk, nibbled on the tree by my front door, waded through the front yard back out to the main sidewalk, then cut back down beside my house to stop and chew on each tree and bush along the way.
      save the trees - end that browser session
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I did not see the specific culprit (though the neighbors did). I just walked outside one morning to see the tell-tale signs of a trespasser. It crossed my driveway, walked up my sidewalk, nibbled on the tree by my front door, waded through the front yard back out to the main sidewalk, then cut back down beside my house to stop and chew on each tree and bush along the way.

The picture is really far off because it was super cold, I only had my phone and I had to take off one glove just to get it which wasn't pleasant (I usually commute by foot to and from my job, even when it's below zero because it's just too close to my house to justify driving unless it's pouring rain or blizzard conditions). These are my raven friends. They live in my neighborhood and often visit my workplace as well. I see or hear them every day. They tree hop and follow me to and from work and have a specific vocalization they use when they see me. Out of all the ravens, I always know these two just by their unique sounds. It's pretty cool how smart they are.

Throw out bread crumbs to the ravens and they'll follow along.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I don't even have to throw bread crumbs (which would catch me a $300 fine - minimum for feeding wildlife). They just follow me anyway. To be fair, there was a problem last winter with the main trash compactor inside the store where I usually work. So, on Fridays, I would have to walk outside to the big dumpster in the back to toss out everything, including lots of food. They got mad at me for a while after the compactor was fixed and there was no longer a dumpster full of goodies for them.

The first day there were just the two of them, the next week there were like 20 of them, after that the gulls showed up too (It was getting very Hitchcock-esque). Then I went out there one week and it was quiet and no one was around. Shortly thereafter I realized it was because the eagles had arrived, so everyone else left. :)
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I was sitting in the swing in the back yard yesterday taste testing some Bullit 95 rye whisky I got on my last pilgrimage to TW&S and saw an osprey overhead hunting, it dove several times but don't believe it got anything, if so it was small. Osprey are interesting birds, eagles fly low and swoop up fish, osprey crash into the water, looks like it would kill them, wish I had a slow mo video to see exACXTLY HOW THEY TAKE OFF FROM THE WATER.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.