Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Solo hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Solo hiking

I have hiked about 1700 miles along the AT, seen Springer Mountain, GA to Carlisle, PA plus NJ, and always solo. But it was never my first time in the woods. I went on a 50 mile canoe trip in northern Wisconsin and saw my first black bears with the BSA. I grew up next to the state forest and took frequent day hikes, bikes, and cross country ski trips through the forest. I cut through my neighbors yard to reach the trails, including the Ice Age Trail, other hiking trails, horse trails, and snowmobile trails.

I have seen 4 venomous snakes on the AT. I prefer rattlesnakes to copperheads. A rattlesnake at least gives you an audible warning, so I consider the rattlesnake to be the gentleman of the venomous snakes. I heard and then saw one rattlesnake right in the middle of the AT in NJ, and stopped in time thanks to the warning. Pretty much the same thing happened on the Great Allegheny Passage near Ohiopyle, PA, but I was trying to stealth camp in a grassy area behind some bushes. I had to turn my head all the way and twist my torso to see the snake.

When I was in NJ, I camped a short way off the trail. After dark, I heard heavy breathing outside my tent. I asked in a loud voice, "Who goes there? Are you a dog?" By the time I got out my light and tiny Gerber folding knife with a 2 inch blade, the source of the noise was gone. Later I head loud music nearby, which I protested loudly and even threw in an obscenity. Later that day I met a guy who told me about a bear who had wandered into his camp, and how he had chased it off with loud music.

Even though I have never had a traveling companion while hiking the AT or biking the GAP, I have very seldom been alone. I have wandered the AT in all 12 months, but January was only a day hike on an unusually warm day. Sometimes I may see the same person on consecutive nights, but it is usually the exception. Many of my hikes are multiday section yoyos, so sometimes people tell me I am going the wrong way. I tell them I will go the right way the next day.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Solo hiking

BirdBrain wrote:

If I was to carry, it would be my NAA-22MC-HG. 8.1 oz loaded with .22 Magnum.

GIve me centerfire any day. If I were to carry, it would be the Browning .25 ACP that my auntie had as a purse gun. I never weighed it.

If I were to carry, that is. Note that when I post a gear list, it always ends with, "and it's none of your business what else is in my pack." It'd be foolhardy to admit to carrying, and equally foolhardy to admit to being unarmed.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Solo hiking

My tips for solo hiking are:
      -always leave your hiking plan with someone
      -check in when you can
      -watch your step
      -trust your gut
      -if not camping at night with a group, try to find a spot a little ways off the trail, a 100 ft is plenty, I've had plenty of people hike right by me at less than that.
      -put in ear plugs if the night sounds bother you
      -take a benedryl if the ear plugs don't work
      -make a small pile of throwing stones and/or sticks near the doorway to your shelter to throw at any wild animals ( if you look at my shelter picture in the Wild Life thread you will see my rock pile next to my crocks)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Solo hiking

My fourth night on the AT was spent under Tinker Cliffs, after missing a turn. I left Campbell Shelter with no water, and it was an unexpectedly warm day. So I was very thankful to find water dripping from the cliff. I made camp in a pile of leaves next to some rocks. In the morning, I retraced my steps and found where I had missed the turn.

Since then, I have walked 10 miles on a cool day without a drink. I do not recommend it, but it caused me no discomfort. I probably walked slow that day, and likely was well hydrated setting out. I built up my leg muscles with long bike rides as a kid. I think that also built up veins, arteries, and capillaries in my legs, and increased the total volume of blood in my circulatory system. So I might have some reserves that others might not be able to rely on.

I have some tips if you find yourself low on water, based on personal experience. Walk slow. If you find yourself breathing hard, rest. You need to keep your heart rate down to minimize water loss to perspiration and respiration. If you are walking up hill in the sun, stop in the shadow of each large tree you pass. Stand with either side towards the sun to minimize exposure. Minimize food intake, as digestion requires water, and indigestion requires a lot of water.
    • Solo hiking

I actually only started soloing recently, because I (and all the rest of my big extended family) were raised on the NEVER HIKE ALONE principle.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to allay the fears of family members who are convinced that a solo hiker is just asking to be eaten by a bear or something? They all have lurid stories to tell of someone who... and I fail to understand how having a companion would have prevented the poor victim from falling off a cliff or having a heart attack on trail.
    • Solo hiking

stoviewander wrote:

My fourth night on the AT was spent under Tinker Cliffs, after missing a turn. I left Campbell Shelter with no water, and it was an unexpectedly warm day. So I was very thankful to find water dripping from the cliff. I made camp in a pile of leaves next to some rocks. In the morning, I retraced my steps and found where I had missed the turn.

Since then, I have walked 10 miles on a cool day without a drink. I do not recommend it, but it caused me no discomfort. I probably walked slow that day, and likely was well hydrated setting out. I built up my leg muscles with long bike rides as a kid. I think that also built up veins, arteries, and capillaries in my legs, and increased the total volume of blood in my circulatory system. So I might have some reserves that others might not be able to rely on.

I have some tips if you find yourself low on water, based on personal experience. Walk slow. If you find yourself breathing hard, rest. You need to keep your heart rate down to minimize water loss to perspiration and respiration. If you are walking up hill in the sun, stop in the shadow of each large tree you pass. Stand with either side towards the sun to minimize exposure. Minimize food intake, as digestion requires water, and indigestion requires a lot of water.

Good tip. Tinker Cliffs is a beautiful spot.The water sources on that part of the trail do tend to dry up in the fall from south of McAfee to the swimming hole at the road (Jones Swimming Hole??).
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Solo hiking

AnotherKevin wrote:

I actually only started soloing recently, because I (and all the rest of my big extended family) were raised on the NEVER HIKE ALONE principle.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to allay the fears of family members who are convinced that a solo hiker is just asking to be eaten by a bear or something? They all have lurid stories to tell of someone who... and I fail to understand how having a companion would have prevented the poor victim from falling off a cliff or having a heart attack on trail.

Tell them about InchWorm. Sorry. I am of the "its wise to have a partner" crowd.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:Solo hiking

BirdBrain wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tell them about InchWorm. Sorry. I am of the "its wise to have a partner" crowd.

It IS wise to have a partner. The reality is that I would never get to hike if I had to hike with someone.
      I'm done with that and I'll do whatever it takes to be a competent solo hiker.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Re:Solo hiking

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

It IS wise to have a partner. The reality is that I would never get to hike if I had to hike with someone.

Pretty much my story too most of the time. You sound determined, you can do it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Pretty much my story too most of the time. You sound determined, you can do it.

I hear ya'. I am a lucky one. I have a hiking partner. If I had no partner, I would likely do the unwise thing. So far it is not an issue.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

its called "sh** happens". much more risk around the house than in the woods, and youve got plenty of experience. you could bring a spot so they could track you.and leaving your agenda behind is a good idea, along with the phone numbers of the proper authorities to call, should they not hear from you by a certain date.
      part of the problem with this plan is if you tell them you'll be out of touch for at least 10 days and as much as 14, if you get hurt the first or second day out, you;ve got a problem. as far as hiking the a.t. goes, i dont worry much at all, i know someone will come along most likely within a few hours.
      its all good

TrafficJam wrote:

I like this attitude.
      I'm gonna have to go into the wayback machine and dig you out a song.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I like this attitude.

I'm begging you, don't post I Am Woman Hear Me Roar.

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I like this attitude.

I'm begging you, don't post I Am Woman Hear Me Roar.

That's just wrong
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • If you are going to hike solo, then there are things you can do to minimize risk. If a first aid book does not meet your weight and space requirements, then at least read through it from time to time. I typically carry white adhesive tape, alcohol wipes, and hand lotion. The tape is mostly for blisters. The wipes are usually for sanitation before eating and after using the privy or a cat hole. The hand lotion improves the effectiveness of my toilet paper.

One time in SNP, I sat on a rock along Skyline Drive. When I got up, I noticed I had been sitting on poison ivy. I wiped my skin with the alcohol wipes, and with hand lotion and toilet paper. I figured the oil in the hand lotion would dissolve or dilute the urushiol. I do not know if it was the alcohol wipes, the hand lotion, or dumb luck, but the poison ivy never bothered me.

One time I tried hiking with different socks, and rubbed my heel raw. I disinfected the area with an alcohol wipe (ouch), and bummed a large adhesive bandage from a better prepared hiker. If you cannot follow the BSA motto "be prepared", at least be prepared to Yogi or improvise. I suppose I could have cut some cloth, boiled it, and taped it in place, but I doubt that would have been as good as the bandage.

To prepare for burns and puncture wounds, I would want gauze, paper tape, and antibiotics in my first aid kit. At times I have carried antifungal medication that treats both foot and crotch fungus.

Know the symptoms of Lyme disease, and if you think you might have it, get treated right away. I hike with long sleeves, and long pants tucked into socks, but I still have found ticks on my skin. I do not use bug repellant, but probably should. I have a bug tent which mostly kept the ticks out in NJ, but I still had to dispose of one that wound up inside the tent.

Know the symptoms and causes of hypothermia. I hiked 8 miles in a cold December rain to the shelter north of Bly Gap. When I got there, my reflexes were slow and I was awkward, so I knew I was facing a dangerous situation. I tried to make hot chocolate, but I could not unscrew the small caps on my water bottles, and could not operate a lighter. I could have fetched water in my pot, or gotten at the water I had quickly with a knife, but the lighter was the real obstacle. An easy to operate pushbutton piezoelectric lighter or stove could save your life some day. All I could do was take off my wet clothes and crawl into my sleeping bag. I take great care to keep my sleeping bag dry, after the bind it got me out of that day.

Practice building fires, even in difficult wet and/or windy conditions. Know how fast you walk, and how to compensate for elevation gain and loss and how tired you feel. Carry a watch and a guidebook so you can estimate time to reach camp, trailheads, town, or water. Carry a compass, in case you get bad directions back to the trail (happened to me, but I bush-wacked back to the AT with my compass).
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Uhm. It's surely riskier to solo at some times than others. My risk tolerance accommodates solo hiking only on popular routes in warmer weather, when I know there will be another hiker along - anywhere I stop - in an hour or so. It does not extend to solo winter trips or solo bushwhacks.

It's wise to have a partner? Surely.

"If you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don't take short hikes either - or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs... Insure every good and chattel you possess against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums half-cripple the present. Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see that all roads are clear for miles... In your wisdom you will probably live to a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time." -Colin Fletcher in the Complete Backpacker

AnotherKevin wrote:

They'll probably always worry because they love you. Come home alive enough times and maybe they'll worry less. That's my strategy at least and it's worked for day hiking.

A few years ago, I took my daughter backpacking on North Manitou Island, part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Great trip.
      Images
      • IMG_3326.jpg

71.3 kB, 800×532, viewed 244 times
      • IMG_3359.jpg

83 kB, 533×800, viewed 226 times
      • IMG_3324.jpg

76.17 kB, 533×800, viewed 229 times

odd man out wrote:

A few years ago, I took my daughter backpacking on North Manitou Island, part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Great trip.

I vacation there every summer with my parents, sister, and whoever in my family can go. We stay on Little Glen Lake. I'm planning on hiking North Manitou this summer. I've read poison ivy is really bad on the island.
    • Solo hiking

coupla years back i was doing an overnight to fingerboard in harriman. there were reports of an alleged murderer somewhere on the loose in harriman, with this wanted poster pasted on a tree at the long path trailhead. i didnt really concern myself as he was an experienced outdoorsman, i found it highly unlikely he would be anywhere near the main trails.
      i got to fingerboard late in the day and as i was making my dinner, a man who perfectly fit the description comes around the side of the shelter and announces"hello there! First off, i want to tell you i am not the murderer."
      we both laughed as i figured him to be a thru or section hiker by the look of his kit,
      he told me the park police had interviewed him earlier in the day. apparently some kids out dayhiking had reported him to the police.
      they let him go almost immediately when they knew they had the wrong guy.he fit the description to the t.
      nice guy. we talked politics and religion well into the night, and still parted friends the following morn.
      its all good
    • This does not really fit the topic, but some of the other posts here touch on fear. If heights make you uneasy, you will probably find that walking along cliffs and high bridges (DWG, HF, and others) will desensitize you to heights. Walking on suspension bridges is another matter, but if you go slow you can minimize the swinging. The bridge and steps north out of Harpers Ferry to the C&O Canal Towpath & AT is also fun, because you can look straight down through the metal grating.

There are some high bridges along the Great Allegheny Passage, especially the one over the gorge near Ohiopyle, PA. One trail at Big South Fork passes along the edge of a cliff. Signs warn cyclists to dismount, which is a damn good idea from what I saw.
    • Solo hiking

CoachLou wrote:

I have no tips, I don't think there are any tricks. It is an experience level. I have been doing this since I was 10, I studied at Parris Island, I have hiked and fished all thru Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I like hooking up with the folks I've meet on these sites over the last few years, but I'm finding that I enjoy the solo trips just as well. And I know that the forest is soooo much safer than the streets of New Haven or New York......even the banjoes playing in the distance!!! And I'm way too tired at the end of the day to have any trouble falling asleep.

Banjoes? Must be a northern thing. :unsure: :evil: I saw all the AT from Springer to the Mason Dixon line, and never heard banjo music.
    • Solo hiking

stoviewander wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I have no tips, I don't think there are any tricks. It is an experience level. I have been doing this since I was 10, I studied at Parris Island, I have hiked and fished all thru Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I like hooking up with the folks I've meet on these sites over the last few years, but I'm finding that I enjoy the solo trips just as well. And I know that the forest is soooo much safer than the streets of New Haven or New York......even the banjoes playing in the distance!!! And I'm way too tired at the end of the day to have any trouble falling asleep.

Banjoes? Must be a northern thing. :unsure: :evil: I saw all the AT from Springer to the Mason Dixon line, and never heard banjo music.

Yes indeed, a yankee fear of walking in the Southern woodland! :)

Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Re:Re: Solo hiking

CoachLou wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Yes indeed, a yankee fear of walking in the Southern woodland! :)

HaHaHa
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

i started hiking solo simply because it wasnt easy to find partners for trips. i would take trips with my cousins from time to time, but living in 3 different states made that somewhat difficult to coordinate. my buddies who i had sarted backpacking with in the 70s had gotten married and both moved to california .
      the logistics of solohiking suck. its either out and back, or you 've gotta figure out how to get back to your car,
      but i find it to be liberating. you follow your own agenda, and dont need to worry about whether you're going too fast or slow for your partner(s).you camp wheever you feel, without discussions or debate.the lack of conversation while you're hiking lets you fall into a zen state quickly as the internal dialogue subsides. you become more aware of your surroundings, and even when moving fast, take notice of everything around you.this is a good thing, as you also need to be prepared for anything, should trouble arise.you need to pay attention, as injuries may be a problem if you're hiking in a remote area or trail.the cool thing is it comes naturally within a few days, and you can fully trust your instincts.
      although i have enjoyed hiking with partners, i still prefer to hike alone.
      its all good
    • Solo hiking

jimmyjam wrote:

One advantage that I've found solo hiking is you will see a bunch more wild life. When hiking with a group I never see anything. They all hear us coming and run off.

no doubt. when my friend teresa started hiking with me, she would keep yeeling at me"when are we going to see some wildlife?"and i would just tell her probably the next trip, as it would be quieter.
      it took about a minute for this to register,she looked at me said"wise guy", but she kept quiet after that and we saw some wild turkeys and a few deer later that afternoon.
      its all good

i was sitting in harriman at a place called bald rocks, eating lunch and had a doe come within a few feet of me like i wasnt even there.
      harriman has quite a bit of wildlife. ive seen dozens of black bear, deer, porkies,opossum, of course chipmunks and squirrels, and i dont know how many birds, the ever present turkey vultures, red tail hawks, peregrines, woodpeckers both small and large pileated, blue jays and gray,mockingbirds,sparrows and finches, countless others.rattlesnakes, black rat snakes, milk snakes and copperheads.
      in maine ive also seen moose and bald eagles,and i saw this moose up near madison hut a few years back

its all good
    • Solo hiking

hikerboy wrote:

coupla years back i was doing an overnight to fingerboard in harriman. there were reports of an alleged murderer somewhere on the loose in harriman, with this wanted poster pasted on a tree at the long path trailhead. i didnt really concern myself as he was an experienced outdoorsman, i found it highly unlikely he would be anywhere near the main trails.
      i got to fingerboard late in the day and as i was making my dinner, a man who perfectly fit the description comes around the side of the shelter and announces"hello there! First off, i want to tell you i am not the murderer."
      we both laughed as i figured him to be a thru or section hiker by the look of his kit,
      he told me the park police had interviewed him earlier in the day. apparently some kids out dayhiking had reported him to the police.
      they let him go almost immediately when they knew they had the wrong guy.he fit the description to the t.
      nice guy. we talked politics and religion well into the night, and still parted friends the following morn.

Wow ! i totally messed that up!
      Eugene Palmer! Is the murderer... He is like a 75 year old man that killed his daughter in law....They still haven't found him!
      RIAP
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Solo hiking

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Eugene Palmer! They still haven't found him!

Who?
      the murderer in harriman. i figure he was out of the park and over the canadian border, had some property upstate somewhere, and only left his truck in harriman for them to find as a ruse

Or he is in the city
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Eugene Palmer! They still haven't found him!

Who?
      the murderer in harriman. i figure he was out of the park and over the canadian border, had some property upstate somewhere, and only left his truck in harriman for them to find as a ruse

I heard his family had been helping him ...they're a local Stony Point family from area and rumor was they helped him ditch the truck in the area to create a ruse. ...or....someone will stumble upon human remains some day somewhere up in them mountains!
      RIAP