Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Solo hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Solo hiking

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

coupla years back i was doing an overnight to fingerboard in harriman. there were reports of an alleged murderer somewhere on the loose in harriman, with this wanted poster pasted on a tree at the long path trailhead. i didnt really concern myself as he was an experienced outdoorsman, i found it highly unlikely he would be anywhere near the main trails.
      i got to fingerboard late in the day and as i was making my dinner, a man who perfectly fit the description comes around the side of the shelter and announces"hello there! First off, i want to tell you i am not the murderer."
      we both laughed as i figured him to be a thru or section hiker by the look of his kit,
      he told me the park police had interviewed him earlier in the day. apparently some kids out dayhiking had reported him to the police.
      they let him go almost immediately when they knew they had the wrong guy.he fit the description to the t.
      nice guy. we talked politics and religion well into the night, and still parted friends the following morn.

Wow ! i totally messed that up!
      Eugene Palmer! Is the murderer... He is like a 75 year old man that killed his daughter in law....They still haven't found him!

You're not helping my quest. :). Maybe we should talk about guns again.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A few years ago, I took my daughter backpacking on North Manitou Island, part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Great trip.

I vacation there every summer with my parents, sister, and whoever in my family can go. We stay on Little Glen Lake. I'm planning on hiking North Manitou this summer. I've read poison ivy is really bad on the island.

I actually came up with a hyper-allergic reaction to poison ivy after my NMI tirp. I went to the doctor and they looked at it and said "that isn't poison ivy", but I assured them it was.

Hiked from Hot Springs to Pearisburg last summer and camped multiple nights by myself. I had planned to go farther, but had to go back to Ashville, NC where my dad was having open heart surgery. So I had a full pack of food plus another resupply box I had to carry in my hands, and it is around 10pm as I am walking a mile or so from the bus station to the motel my sister had reserved for me. Believe me that was much scarier and probably more dangerous than any of my time on the AT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A few years ago, I took my daughter backpacking on North Manitou Island, part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Great trip.

I vacation there every summer with my parents, sister, and whoever in my family can go. We stay on Little Glen Lake. I'm planning on hiking North Manitou this summer. I've read poison ivy is really bad on the island.

I actually came up with a hyper-allergic reaction to poison ivy after my NMI tirp. I went to the doctor and they looked at it and said "that isn't poison ivy", but I assured them it was.

I've never had it. My sister is sensitive though. She would probably be camping with me.

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I've never had it. My sister is sensitive though. She would probably be camping with me.

I never was allergic to it until the last year or so. I guess my 50 year resistance just wore down. :(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Solo hiking

I think I found the perfect sock for ladies hiking solo. The product description on Kmart's website is:
      "This short lightweight loner sock are perfect for wearing to the gym, with your favorite shorts, or just about anytime"

See http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_030B011529020001P?&sid=IMx20120601x002000-Clothing-activeminus
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Solo hiking

stoviewander wrote:

I think I found the perfect sock for ladies hiking solo. The product description on Kmart's website is:
      "This short lightweight loner sock are perfect for wearing to the gym, with your favorite shorts, or just about anytime"

See http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_030B011529020001P?&sid=IMx20120601x002000-Clothing-activeminus

I had to think about that one Stovie...
    • CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

The first time I slept alone in the woods was when I was 12 years old in the Boy Scouts. The Scoutmasters had us do it as an exercise to help quell our fear.
      On our weekend campouts through the summer at our base camp (which was behind the cemetery and added a level of fear itself) we would pitch our tent at a secondary camp about a half mile away. It was definitely a learning experience. Once done I knew I could do it. I'm glad they did that to us. To this day it doesn't bother me in the least and I credit that to that first time at such a young age. I doubt the BSA would allow anything like that today.

Yea we did that - without tents in OA - they picked the peak night of the pleiades meteor shower the night was lit up like crazy.... good memories. (they still do that)

I'm not a feminist but it pisses me off that boys get taught this stuff and girls don't, at least when I was growing up. Have you ever played the game, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what book would you want?" I always say, "Boy Scout Handbook."

My step daughter feels the same way!!!! There is a woman in the neighboring town (on the TOS) that takes girl scouts backpacking. Overload and her daughter are going to hook-up with her this year!

OK, I'm a little late here but.........
      If they do hook up with her they're in good hands.
      Me and Kathy have met her and enjoyed her company.
      Not only is she a nice person but pretty experienced too.
      Come to think of it, we've run into her more than once while out backpacking.