Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI light weight inflatable green pad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:REI light weight inflatable green pad

I had the REI Stratus pad and returned it because the value leaked. I passed on new REI version because it had the same valve. I got the Exped Downlite 5 mat. It's 5 ounces heavier but comes with Exped quality.

http://bit.ly/1iXzP4Q
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

.never tried the rei one.i have a neoair extherm that weighs 12oz, and so far its been indestructible . as i prefer an air mattress to closed cell(im a side sleeper) i dont want a leaky mattress. i had a big agnes air core that developed a leaky valve after only a coupla dozen uses. im sure they would have replaced it if i had sent it to them, but i had no reason to believe it wouldnt do the same thing.the neoair is pricy, but i believe in it.and its not too noisy.
      its all good

Don't have the REI one but do have the blue BA Air Core mat that REI also sell.
      Similar price, and 3/4 inch thicker. Despite the extra 4 ounces, the reviews on REI site that I just read about the green one would have me stay with the blue. 3/4inch is a lot extra under your hip for a side sleeper.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

jimmyjam wrote:

I was in REI and saw their pad. Decent R value, weighs 16 oz, and was I think $99. Pretty similar to the neoair. Anyone got one?

Review the reviews on REI's website for the pad. It has numerous reviews about deflating during the night.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I have a NeoAir that has multiple leaks (the lime green one 25inch by 78inch). It was one of the early ones so maybe they make them better now.
      I also have 3 different BA mats, one had a pinprick that I have repaired and the big insulated (grey) air core has a leak that is so slow that I have not detected it yet.
      I have a standard, lime NeoAir (made in Ireland) a standard NeoAir Trekker and a 78 inch long Trekker.
      For comfort I would resoundingly say get a BA AirCore.
      For durability, I would say get a NeoAir Trekker.
      I would like to point out all the mats with leaks developed them while being used by IM.

As a supplemental piece of information, if you are in a shelter and some experienced looking hiker rolls out his/her trusty closed cell foam mat, put in ear plugs or set up your tent. They are only comfortable for back sleepers and they are the worst snorers. (everyone snores but some make an art form of it).
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • REI light weight inflatable green pad

I've got an Exped 7.5 that weighs 19oz. I quit using it because of the low R value (it would be ok for summer) and I got tired of blowing it up. I currently use a 1/4" CC blue foam pad cut down to about 50 " in 10" sections and folded to make the frame for my pack. To this I add 2 more pcs I strap on top of my pack to make a pad about 68" long and then I add a prolite plus 1-1/2" torso pad. I'm a side sleeper and this works fairly well, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I just can't make myself forkout $155 for the neoair and they sound crinkly.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I've got an Exped 7.5 that weighs 19oz. I quit using it because of the low R value (it would be ok for summer) and I got tired of blowing it up. I currently use a 1/4" CC blue foam pad cut down to about 50 " in 10" sections and folded to make the frame for my pack. To this I add 2 more pcs I strap on top of my pack to make a pad about 68" long and then I add a prolite plus 1-1/2" torso pad. I'm a side sleeper and this works fairly well, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I just can't make myself forkout $155 for the neoair and they sound crinkly.

the extherm isnt that noisy, and although its pricy, it serves me year round.the surface is a bit tacky which prevents the pad from sliding around the tent floor. i do take a closed cell pad in addition to the inflatable for winter trips when the ground is frozen or snowed over,adds extra insulation and helps prevent any excess condensation on the tent floor. i laughed my ass off last year when i heard some hikers had to abandon their tents which had frozen to the ground after they had gotten out of them.
      for the amount of time i spend sleeping on the ground. its worth every penny i paid.
      its all good

I think the Neo Air is worth it- I got the ladies version (no big suprise i suppose(but it is higher R value and one oz lighter).
      The crinkly reduces a bit with use- but most importantly- they don't crinkle when you're sleepin'.

NeoAir is on the 3rd generation now, first gen had some issues(leaks and bad crinkling), second gen was/is better, third gen looks like they just made the shell less opaque so you couldn't see the space blanket inside because of some warrantee issues (the Mylar looked like it was falling apart but seems like a cosmetic not a real issue but they were accepting returns so they changed the outside to avoid any more returns)

hikerboy wrote:

.never tried the rei one.i have a neoair extherm that weighs 12oz, and so far its been indestructible . as i prefer an air mattress to closed cell(im a side sleeper) i dont want a leaky mattress. i had a big agnes air core that developed a leaky valve after only a coupla dozen uses. im sure they would have replaced it if i had sent it to them, but i had no reason to believe it wouldnt do the same thing.the neoair is pricy, but i believe in it.and its not too noisy.

I also have NeoAir (13oz) and I have been very happy with it.
      I have noticed a lot of gear is similar to HB's or at least what he used to use. Reminds me of the old MJ commercials, I guess when I grow up I wan to be like Hiker Boy. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I also have NeoAir (13oz) and I have been very happy with it.
      I have noticed a lot of gear is similar to HB's or at least what he used to use. Reminds me of the old MJ commercials, I guess when I grow up I wan to be like Hiker Boy. :)

ummm.....youre doing it wrong
      its all good

Just Bill wrote:

I think the Neo Air is worth it- I got the ladies version (no big suprise i suppose(but it is higher R value and one oz lighter).
      The crinkly reduces a bit with use- but most importantly- they don't crinkle when you're sleepin'.

NeoAir is on the 3rd generation now, first gen had some issues(leaks and bad crinkling), second gen was/is better, third gen looks like they just made the shell less opaque so you couldn't see the space blanket inside because of some warrantee issues (the Mylar looked like it was falling apart but seems like a cosmetic not a real issue but they were accepting returns so they changed the outside to avoid any more returns)

So about how many breaths do you think it takes to inflate? And do you worry about mold getting in it from condensation?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

So about how many breaths do you think it takes to inflate? And do you worry about mold getting in it from condensation?
      no.id say around 20 breaths.i dont really see that as a big deal, i have to breathe anyway. the condensation i dont worry too much about.ive had infaltables i used for years and never had any health issues from mold or mildew. i do have a very strong immune system, so i dont really worry about it.
      when i pack it i fold it lengthwise in thirds the way it came and get all the air out.
      i may experiment with the compactor bag bellows method this spring. looks like 2 bags of air would do it very quickly.
      its all good

A dozen I suppose- but- finally figured out the key to a perfect night is not to over fill it. If I lean on one fist and it touches the ground that seems about right.

Been a year of a few nights a week (Sadly I often sleep at my office) and no issues or mold growth I can see. No funny odors when deflating it either. I leave it out in the sun every few months with the valve cracked just in case (only drawback to the less opaque newer ones I can think of).

I'm 5'10" (200-220) and a side sleeper too- Ladies pad is 5'6" and just right in length for me- as HB wrongly correctly stated- just back it up with a foamie when it's chilly and the investment translates okey dokey to winter time. I did take it to the thirties on it's own though, the few nights I was out this winter in the teens I used a 1/4" CCF pad under it.

Strongly considering picking up the short version as well for my UL kit, but at 11 ounces for the women's version it's kinda hard for me to wrap my head around the short one at 8 ounces.

Just Bill wrote:

A dozen I suppose- but- finally figured out the key to a perfect night is not to over fill it. If I lean on one fist and it touches the ground that seems about right.

Been a year of a few nights a week (Sadly I often sleep at my office) and no issues or mold growth I can see. No funny odors when deflating it either. I leave it out in the sun every few months with the valve cracked just in case (only drawback to the less opaque newer ones I can think of).

I'm 5'10" (200-220) and a side sleeper too- Ladies pad is 5'6" and just right in length for me- as HB wrongly correctly stated- just back it up with a foamie when it's chilly and the investment translates okey dokey to winter time. I did take it to the thirties on it's own though, the few nights I was out this winter in the teens I used a 1/4" CCF pad under it.

Strongly considering picking up the short version as well for my UL kit, but at 11 ounces for the women's version it's kinda hard for me to wrap my head around the short one at 8 ounces.

Takes a bit of getting to know but with all air mats I fully inflate and then while lying on it I let some air out to sink into it. For a side sleeper ideal setting is with about 1/2 inch under lowest point (i.e.hip).
      If you let out too much you just put a quick puff back in.
      Most people who say they can't get comfortable on an air mat like a neoair or AirCore, are trying to sleep on a fully inflated pad. If you're not sinking into it a bit you're definitely doing it wrong.

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Takes a bit of getting to know but with all air mats I fully inflate and then while lying on it I let some air out to sink into it. For a side sleeper ideal setting is with about 1/2 inch under lowest point (i.e.hip).
      If you let out too much you just put a quick puff back in.
      Most people who say they can't get comfortable on an air mat like a neoair or AirCore, are trying to sleep on a fully inflated pad. If you're not sinking into it a bit you're definitely doing it wrong.
      i do the same. inflate it fully and let a bit out after im lying down. too firm doesnt work and it also makes it more likely to suffer a puncture.
      its all good

Just Bill wrote:

Yar- I am a recovering thermarest over inflator. Too many years of late night hittin the valve on my self inflators. Now I'm on a 12 breath program and doing better.

Next we'll have to work on a program to cure that twist in your mouth....
      :P
      (I find your avatar disconcerting.....)

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Yar- I am a recovering thermarest over inflator. Too many years of late night hittin the valve on my self inflators. Now I'm on a 12 breath program and doing better.

It only twists that way cause you're in Oz- that pic is pleasantly symetrical on this side of the equator.

Just Bill wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

It only twists that way cause you're in Oz- that pic is pleasantly symetrical on this side of the equator.

That explains the eyes too.
      Peering over the equator.

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

That explains the eyes too.
      Peering over the equator.

No the eyes are when I really learned my lesson about over inflating a pad.
      Rectal inflation is a great trick but when you over inflate...backpressure is trouble. :blink:
    • Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

OzJacko wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

I like his avatar
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Does the NeoAir XTherm sleeping pad really roll up to the size they say it will????
      I'm considering a new pad to get one that rolls up smaller than my old Thermarest self inflating pad.
      [IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/mabateda.jpg]my xtherm next to one of my shoes.

Just so you know HB has a size 29 shoe? Or 13?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Does the NeoAir XTherm sleeping pad really roll up to the size they say it will????
      I'm considering a new pad to get one that rolls up smaller than my old Thermarest self inflating pad.
      [IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/mabateda.jpg]my xtherm next to one of my shoes.

its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

HB, has shoe size gone up much with all of the hiking over the years?
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: REI light weight inflatable green pad

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

used to wear 11s
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

used to wear 11s

Yeah.
      Stories about Bigfoot can all be traced back to some old thuhikers yoyoing without shaving or washing.
      They stand 5 10 high and are barefoot because they can't get size 16's anywhere near the trail.
      gif.014

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

used to wear 11s

Yeah.
      Stories about Bigfoot can all be traced back to some old thuhikers yoyoing without shaving or washing.
      They stand 5 10 high and are barefoot because they can't get size 16's anywhere near the trail.
      gif.014

Oz, that is really good! I will have to remember that one. gif.004