Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

heard on the couch

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: heard on the couch

Yup prices are up - as a vendor I have clients complaining about me not sticking to prices I quoted in 2009! - gas, overhead, and keeping good employees. We did loose a few due to crusty management practices. Its better to keep them - then to train nubies or others with bad habits. Where do you get your meat?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re:heard on the couch

Buying food has always been a nasty business. Prices change weekly and the salesmen are using every gotcha trick in the book. We use old school bidding on the entire inventory list. It takes forever as it is 600 items times three companies all packing slightly different stuff. We have a purchasing contract with one but it's not worth the paper it's written on because it's % above cost but they play games with how much their cost is and hid rebates they are receiving from manufactures and paying a higher initial cost so they can change more. It is all BS but they all lie and cheat so the only thing that works is weekly bids
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Wow what a serious waste of your time - Is that US Foods? or the smaller purveyors... I don't change my prices that way... just won't do it. Everything I do is based on judging how long the Tech will take to do the job.

I met a guy I known for a couple of years from a company in NJ that vac seals high quality Beef for preservation over 25 days in full competition of Wegman's in house service... they even own the cattle out west. production is in NJ and ships from there, world wide. They deal with restaurants and competitive franchised markets.

http://www.rastellidirect.com/product.aspx?ItemCode=13104&CatID=839&aff_id=gl
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: heard on the couch

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

for rasty and any other potatoes

Did you call me a couch potato?

More like a Futon Hash Brown! So is this the scuttlebutt page for WB?

What is WB? Never heard of it.

I think it stands for Web Browser. There is no other acronym useful to this site that I can think of.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

for rasty and any other potatoes

Did you call me a couch potato?

More like a Futon Hash Brown! So is this the scuttlebutt page for WB?

What is WB? Never heard of it.

I think it stands for Web Browser. There is no other acronym useful to this site that I can think of.

Should have read further. Warner Brothers is useful too.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Hey BB while I have your attention... where is a good light weight pot stand instead of three ti Tent Pegs? The coat hanger sucks!

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/cooking-gear/230-alcohol-stoves.html?start=160#18221

Made from 1/16" stainless steel wire and smashed small stainless steel sleeves (can't remember what they are called). It weighs 10 grams and is very sturdy. It is 2 7/8" high by 4" long with 3/4" feet.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

The only stainless steel wire I have is from antenna's which is unsuitable. That's a great design! I like the extra leg on the hing.

I remembered what the sleeves are called. They are cable ferrules. This stand is made from 2 pieces of wire and 2 ferrules. I tried bending the feet all different directions. This was the most stable setup I could construct.

Rasty wrote:

Buying food has always been a nasty business. Prices change weekly and the salesmen are using every gotcha trick in the book. We use old school bidding on the entire inventory list. It takes forever as it is 600 items times three companies all packing slightly different stuff. We have a purchasing contract with one but it's not worth the paper it's written on because it's % above cost but they play games with how much their cost is and hid rebates they are receiving from manufactures and paying a higher initial cost so they can change more. It is all BS but they all lie and cheat so the only thing that works is weekly bids

What worked for one of my businesses - I sent an email that asked for last months price and guarantee it for 90 days...or I will shop. Its a Grocery Store with the three cups and penny under the cup mentality. but don't send it unless you have the competitors. And don't reply to it for a week. Let them sweat.

We had similar problem last year where our supplier didn't tell us we hadn't paid a bill in three months but we paid the second & third. They suddenly didn't ship one week.We lost business not having a critical supply. We cease all transactions as we had just moved to a larger facility and now had loading docks. A larger supplier was brought in and we cut them out for three months... they came begging. Got better prices for a while and less noise. We are still seeing a small increase over last years pricing. But that is due to gas pricing and Federal Regulation.
    • Re:Re: Re:heard on the couch

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

What worked for one of my businesses - I sent an email that asked for last months price and guarantee it for 90 days...or I will shop. Its a Grocery Store with the three cups and penny under the cup mentality. but don't send it unless you have the competitors. And don't reply to it for a week. Let them sweat.

We had similar problem last year where our supplier didn't tell us we hadn't paid a bill in three months but we paid the second & third. They suddenly didn't ship one week.We lost business not having a critical supply. We cease all transactions as we had just moved to a larger facility and now had loading docks. A larger supplier was brought in and we cut them out for three months... they came begging. Got better prices for a while and less noise. We are still seeing a small increase over last years pricing. But that is due to gas pricing and Federal Regulation.

Restaurant food is more volatile then the grocery food. No one is getting guaranteed pricing anymore. Even McDonald's has lost its guaranteed pricing.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Restaurant food is more volatile then the grocery food. No one is getting guaranteed pricing anymore. Even McDonald's has lost its guaranteed pricing.

Ok here is my take and see if you agree - We drive our cars with enough corn to feed two third world nations. (many thanks to the Global Warming environmentalists) Volatility of gas speculation is 6-7 times higher Corn is up and down and it too is 10 times higher in speculation due to drought over the last two years. Its the feed for cattle and Chicken... Purdue is importing cheap natural corn from Turkey to get a better price. Here is a quote.

For the restaurant business, Unified Foodservice Purchasing Co-op's Kurt Collins noted that beef products will be difficult to manage due to higher prices. “Many in the restaurant industry are promoting fish items and chicken items,” he said. “Beef items are being less promoted.”

McDonalds issues are different...http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-mcdonalds-franchisees-are-simmering

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Ok here is my take and see if you agree - We drive our cars with enough corn to feed two third world nations. (many thanks to the Global Warming environmentalists) Volatility of gas speculation is 6-7 times higher Corn is up and down and it too is 10 times higher in speculation due to drought over the last two years. Its the feed for cattle and Chicken... Purdue is importing cheap natural corn from Turkey to get a better price. Here is a quote.

For the restaurant business, Unified Foodservice Purchasing Co-op's Kurt Collins noted that beef products will be difficult to manage due to higher prices. “Many in the restaurant industry are promoting fish items and chicken items,” he said. “Beef items are being less promoted.”

McDonalds issues are different...http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-mcdonalds-franchisees-are-simmering

You know I have heard that ethanol is 10% less fuel efficient than straight gas. If that is true, then what are we gaining with it? The stuff will ruin your small engine fuel lines and carbs if you let it sit in it too long.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

You know I have heard that ethanol is 10% less fuel efficient than straight gas. If that is true, then what are we gaining with it? The stuff will ruin your small engine fuel lines and carbs if you let it sit in it too long.

The ability to reason has been supplanted with clichés. I could list a pile of useless ones that remove a persons ability to think on their own. In this case the word is biofuel.

Biofuel - a fuel derived directly from living matter.

What the hell do these idiots think crude oil is made of? Rocks? Uranium? I guess matter that was alive and is now dead is somehow evil. Somehow it is smarter to burn our food and rot our fuel delivery systems.

This is what happens when people think politicians are experts. The only thing they are good at is convincing voters that they know more about things than the people whose lives are dependent on getting it right.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The ability to reason has been supplanted with clichés. I could list a pile of useless ones that remove a persons ability to think on their own. In this case the word is biofuel.

Biofuel - a fuel derived directly from living matter.

What the hell do these idiots think crude oil is made of? Rocks? Uranium? I guess matter that was alive and is now dead is somehow evil. Somehow it is smarter to burn our food and rot our fuel delivery systems.

This is what happens when people think politicians are experts. The only thing they are good at is convincing voters that they know more about things than the people whose lives are dependent on getting it right.

We can agree on that...They are jealous of Brazil's Oil independence.

Gratuitous BUMP....

Turns out it's America's Export.... now its starting to make sense - but we are running out of farmers....

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=M_EPOOXE_EEX_NUS-Z00_MBBL&f=M
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:heard on the couch

OzJacko wrote:

A lot of ham and cheese rolls appear to be on my horizon.
      Trying to transfer my love of Hungarian salami to chorizo.
      May not have success until I get there and lose the choice....

I have cheese rolls - wait now what was the question????

Nevermind ask for Arròs negre