Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

heard on the trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hanging loose in Damascus today. Weather is nice now but getting back into the 20"s tonight.
      Saw LS on a bicycle today, think he is doing it wrong.
      Going to have a big breakfast tomorrow and then keep on trucking north.
      Mileage is picking up slow but sure. Did the 50 miles from Dennis Cove Rd. to here in four days. Arrived a little after 3 PM on the fourth day. Biggest day is around 16 miles so far but hoping to get my average up between 12 and 15 per day. Old legs just don't respond as fast as they used to.
      At any rate I am still enjoying the hike. No special aches and pains except the ones caused by old age. Meeting lots of great people and loosing a little weight, can't get much better than that. Hey HB, catch me if you can. gif.014

Strom, great to see you met up with LS. Sounds like you are having a great time. Keep it up!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • heard on the trail

Hi All,
      Resting my weary feet in Marion today. Those rocks over Mt Rogers and the Highlands really took a toll on my feet. Got some close up encounters with the ponies, just amazing. Going to head north tomorrow and try to get to my next stop before the bad weather comes in Monday and Tuesday.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Just got into the Woods Hole Hostel. What a neat place. Going to get off the trail in a week or so to take care of some personal stuff then plan to jump back on and keep on keeping on. (old fart needs a rest anyway.)

Storm, I stayed there last summer. Neville is very nice (and a good cook). Another week should put you into HM and DH territory, so they should be able to help out if you are interested in that.

You are about to pass me up, so I am sure you will be long gone before I can get back on the trail in July. Have a great break and safe journey back and forth.
    • heard on the trail

Hi All.

Got into Dalesville yesterday. Going to take a zero today and head out again Sunday.
      Pulled a muscle in my right calf coming down from Drangon's tooth and it slowed me down even more. Seems okay now.
      If you get a chance to stay at four pines hostel I would sure say do it. Joe and his wife were super. Don't challenge Joe to a gome of cornhole though, he plays all the time.
      Body is still holding up. Starting to get the Virginia blues and I still have a long way to go in Va. Hoping to find that easy part of Va. that I have heard so much about.
      Will hit DH's area soon. I have a contact number for him but not for HM.
      Guess that's about it for now. Will keep on trucking.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

If you get a chance to stay at four pines hostel I would sure say do it. Joe and his wife were super. Don't challenge Joe to a gome of cornhole though, he plays all the time.

Good to hear from you, and that you're holding up good. G

I wouldn't dream of challenging anyone to a game of cornhole. (Important side note. Do not stand anywhere near me when I'm trying to hang a bearbag!)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hi All.

Got into Dalesville yesterday. Going to take a zero today and head out again Sunday.
      Pulled a muscle in my right calf coming down from Drangon's tooth and it slowed me down even more. Seems okay now.
      Body is still holding up. Starting to get the Virginia blues and I still have a long way to go in Va. Hoping to find that easy part of Va. that I have heard so much about.

Storm, you are already past where I am picking up in July so it looks like I unfortunately will not get to run into you.
      Glad your body is holding up and I know you are having fun!
      Thanks for checking in with us.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hi All.

Keep on truckin'. Don't let the blues get you. Be glad you don't have the bluest blues.
      Just jam to 'em and keep on truckin'.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X9A1xeAOkis
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • heard on the trail

Hi All,
      I am in Buena Vista. Going to give DH a call shortly to let him know I'm in the area.

I am going to call it a hike for this trip. Body has held up well but I am really bored. Was hoping to keep on going but when it stops being fun not much use pushing it. I'll probably regret it as soon as I get home.
      I hiked for two months and covered a little over 500 miles but they were good miles. No use pushing the envelope.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hi All,
      I am in Buena Vista. Going to give DH a call shortly to let him know I'm in the area.

I am going to call it a hike for this trip. Body has held up well but I am really bored. Was hoping to keep on going but when it stops being fun not much use pushing it. I'll probably regret it as soon as I get home.
      I hiked for two months and covered a little over 500 miles but they were good miles. No use pushing the envelope.

You've done great Storm. I can't wait to hear about all your adventures.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hi All,

Storm great to hear from you. Perhaps you should consider resting a day or two before you head home. But if you do, the trail will always still be there when you are ready to go back.
      Tell DH I said hi.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Hi All,

And you'll have plenty left, when you need to get back out. gif.004
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • heard on the trail

TrafficJam wrote:

Greetings from the trail. I'm having fun and loving life. I stayed at a campsite alone last night!!!! Thanks for all the education and helpful advice. It's been a great hike so far. Take care everyone.

Good to hear you are having fun.Take lots of pictures and post them when you get back.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • heard on the trail

TrafficJam wrote:

Greetings from the trail. I'm having fun and loving life. I stayed at a campsite alone last night!!!! Thanks for all the education and helpful advice. It's been a great hike so far. Take care everyone.

That is what we are here for. Enjoy the rest of your hike!
    • Re:Re: heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Try not to get bored.

Are you still hiking storm?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: heard on the trail

Rasty wrote:

Storm wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Try not to get bored.

Are you still hiking storm?

I think he got bored around Daleville (or somewhere in VA) and is calling this section a success until the next one.
    • heard on the trail

Storm wrote:

Yep, called it a hike in Buena Vista Va. Did get to meet DH. Super nice guy. We shot the bull for an hour or so. If you are ever in that area I would sure say to contact him. He has plenty of info about the area.

I totally agree, DeerHunter is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.