Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Vinegar based Jerky on Nesco

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Vinegar based Jerky on Nesco

I want to share a little about why you see these thread posts. I love BBQ and Jerky Making, in fact I am a little over the top... I make these one and two pound batches over the years and go up to the local restaurant and bar and about 10-15 guys get to taste these items.. this one stood out as soon as they had their first piece they were asking for more.. About the Wrights Liquid, it was proven in a culinary school folks cannot tell the difference between real smoke and liquid, a shock to me.. and its true. You want to occasionally rotate the trays its 160 at the top its 140 at the bottom of the stack. You stop the process when its soft and leathery. Hard and brittle is too long, I have tried to make this as goof proof as possible and simple in ingredients.

I am also sure you have guessed when I loose a recipe on my computer - I know I can find it here. Only the best get posted here.

Enjoy - Woo...

Vinegar based Jerky on Nesco

2 pound of Top Round London Broil meat marbled is best a shouldered meat – Sliced thin.
      Don’t go over 2 pounds – ya won’t have enough trays.
      1 cup Good Apple Cider Vinegar
      1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
      McCormick's Carolina Rub (entire large packet)
      Table spoon of Carolina Hot Sauce
      Table spoon of Wright’s Hickory Smoke (Do not use any other name brand)
      Blend and stir
      Do not add salt

18 hour soak covered in refrigerator (Overnight)
      Spray trays with Canola Oil Spray (non stick)
      Tray the meat on and keep it close together and add fresh cracked pepper on top.
      Use an electric timer 4-5 hour dry at 160° rotate trays occasionally
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

TrafficJam wrote:

So you didn't convert to the lower temp/longer dry theory? I tried it and my jerky texture was better.

Do you have a recipe without vinegar?

Glad you mentioned it... Yes I have, latest batch was at 160° then reduced to 140° after the first hour... so I am playing around with it... still on the fence about a recommendation.to everyone else because I don't want to be blamed for someone getting sick. Also I took better care to wash and clean the materials & trays in making this production run.

There are several bases in Jerky-Vinegar, Soy, and Worcestershire, that impart flavor while decimating pathogens, its all about acid.

In Alaska they deep freeze meat in small mini storage caves to keep scavengers out. and store lots of fish till ready to thaw and cook.
      Deep freeze the meat (0°F) to destroy parasites such as the trichina worm and the tapeworm.

Freeze meat that is less than 1 inch thick for at
      least one months.

Freeze meat that is thicker than 1 inch for at
      least two months.

Here is a source for further reading and I just found a contradiction to what I posted before in this link.

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/hec/FNH-00262.pdf

I am still considering removing the 1/2 cup of Wine Vinegar - the notes are too strong and replacing it with white on the next batch.

Also thinking it needs a gloss coat... A gloss coat is brushing on BBQ sauces on and throwing back on the dryer for 2 -3 hours giving it a glossy appearance but be careful it will significantly change the flavor. A brown sugar BBQ sauce with without corn syrup or a Apple Butter BBQ comes to mind.