Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Journals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Journals

I hope this thread takes off. I've tried written notes, electronic notes, and voice recorded notes. Everything ends up dirty, wet, muddy, mashed crumpled, lost, or stolen by UFO's. When I get home it takes two days to catch up, two weeks to get my gear dried, cleaned up, and squared away. I end up not writing anything at all about the trip...
      But I have good intentions...
    • Hiking Journals

I only write about the things that made my trip fun. More like a list than a detailed report. I keep a journal at home anyway and that's where I put my 'trip reports'. I'll try to post one of my end-of-the-day entries.

Day3 113 to Russell field

Hard but good. Rained. Ate Lunch at Mollies Ridge. Saw 3 groups of people. There's the Bear! Teriyaki w/ chicken meal good. Fireball whiskey!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Hiking Journals

TrafficJam wrote:

I've seen section hikers writing in little books and want to know what they are. Something from the ATC or just a small journal they use to keep track of mileage?

TJ they are the Rite in the Rain all weather journals. i use the little ones about 3"x4" 24 pages. I take just enough for whatever section I am doing. They also sell all weather pens but anything will work on their special paper. www.RiteintheRain.com I like em.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Hiking Journals

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've seen section hikers writing in little books and want to know what they are. Something from the ATC or just a small journal they use to keep track of mileage?

TJ they are the Rite in the Rain all weather journals. i use the little ones about 3"x4" 24 pages. I take just enough for whatever section I am doing. They also sell all weather pens but anything will work on their special paper. www.RiteintheRain.com I like em.

I use Rite in the Rain journal #1773. Check it out and you will see why. I also use a home made mechanical pencil made by my hiking partner. It is made of a wood that becomes green in color as it ages. Can't remember type of wood.

This is it:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Hiking Journals

max.patch wrote:

i used one of those 3X5 notebooks you can get anywhere for less than a buck. used 4 on my thru. one of these days i intend to convert to a word document. been 26 years so i guess i'm in no rush.

MP, at least you have it captured.
      "been 26 years so i guess i'm in no rush", that is funny!
      Hey, tomorrow is another day.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General