Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Leaving a Trace

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Leaving a Trace

I saw that too .It's gross. Climbing Everest has gotten very commercialized.

Have you ever looked at the statistics of how many people get frostbite and lose their ears, nose, fingers and toes? I saw an interview with some guy from the orient who lost his nose, most of his fingers and toes and he was still glad he made the climb-nuts if you ask me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Leaving a Trace

jimmyjam wrote:

Have you ever looked at the statistics of how many people get frostbite and lose their ears, nose, fingers and toes? I saw an interview with some guy from the orient who lost his nose, most of his fingers and toes and he was still glad he made the climb-nuts if you ask me.

Yea met them in person at REI... most lose their nose... don't forget the number of bodies that have been left there since the 50's
      [IMG:http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/gie88/mount-everest-trash-1.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Leaving a Trace

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Yea met them in person at REI... most lose their nose... don't forget the number of bodies that have been left there since the 50's
      [IMG:http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/gie88/mount-everest-trash-1.jpg]

read "left for dead" by beck weathers, whos was really left for dead during the failed '86 expedition written about in krakauer's book into thin air
      its all good
    • Re:Leaving a Trace

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Even though I started this thread I can't help but think of something else when I see the tittle of this thread.

Same here, but I was not going to go there.

I'm thinking about what stoviewander wrote in the poop thread. gif.002

I confess I too found the title suggestive of other things. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I thought I was more or less on topic, even if I did not specifically address winter waste disposal techniques. My posts even got some "likes". Honestly, I found some other posts in that topic over the top offensive, but I prefer free speech to censorship, and feel some kinship with those who prefer this site to that other site (TOS) with its terms of service (TOS).

Unfortunately we cannot all agree on what is offensive vs. humorous. I thought Tipi Walter's post about turtleheads was hilarious. If we all took the utmost care to never offend anyone, much humorous material would never be posted. Ideally, there would be someway to rate topics or posts for specific types of offensive material, and options in the user profile to ignore such. But now I am drifting into the area of another open topic, how to improve this site.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Re:Re: Re:Leaving a Trace

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Even though I started this thread I can't help but think of something else when I see the tittle of this thread.

I confess I too found the title suggestive of other things. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I thought I was more or less on topic, even if I did not specifically address winter waste disposal techniques. My posts even got some "likes". Honestly, I found some other posts in that topic over the top offensive, but I prefer free speech to censorship, and feel some kinship with those who prefer this site to that other site (TOS) with its terms of service (TOS).

Unfortunately we cannot all agree on what is offensive vs. humorous. I thought Tipi Walter's post about turtleheads was hilarious. If we all took the utmost care to never offend anyone, much humorous material would never be posted. Ideally, there would be someway to rate topics or posts for specific types of offensive material, and options in the user profile to ignore such. But now I am drifting into the area of another open topic, how to improve this site.

We've got a few plans in the works in regard to site improvements. An offense-o-meter is an interesting idea.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

We've got a few plans in the works in regard to site improvements. An offense-o-meter is an interesting idea.

I find that idea offensive.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Leaving a Trace

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I said it was an idea. I never said it was a good idea.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I wasn't offended at all! It was all on topic and I took the comment about the trail magic as I thought it was intended...to be humerous. I really did LOL.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I wasn't offended at all! It was all on topic and I took the comment about the trail magic as I thought it was intended...to be humerous. I really did LOL.

It could be worse. It could be the diva cup thread. Now that is offensive.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Leaving a Trace

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I said it was an idea. I never said it was a good idea.

Now you are making me feel bad. Not real bad, mind you. Seriously though, I have never seen you type anything that offends me. You are definitely doing it all wrong.

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I confess I too found the title suggestive of other things. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I thought I was more or less on topic, even if I did not specifically address winter waste disposal techniques. My posts even got some "likes". Honestly, I found some other posts in that topic over the top offensive

I know one of my posts was offensive and I apologized for it. I've never been active on an Internet forum and don't understand the rules. I don't become offended easily but I get upset if I think I've hurt or offended someone else, which I seem to do a lot. I have no history with anyone here, don't get all the inside jokes, and don't know what I need to be careful about. At least I can say I'm doing it all wrong.

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I confess I too found the title suggestive of other things. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I thought I was more or less on topic, even if I did not specifically address winter waste disposal techniques. My posts even got some "likes". Honestly, I found some other posts in that topic over the top offensive

I know one of my posts was offensive and I apologized for it. I've never been active on an Internet forum and don't understand the rules. I don't become offended easily but I get upset if I think I've hurt or offended someone else, which I seem to do a lot. I have no history with anyone here, don't get all the inside jokes, and don't know what I need to be careful about. At least I can say I'm doing it all wrong.

No need to apologize. It is all fun and games.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

No need to apologize. It is all fun and games.

I think I know the one she is referring too. To which I say, there is nothing offensive about the reproduction of God's creatures. I could be wrong. If I am, I must have missed it and therefore was not offended there either.
    • Leaving a Trace

WiseOldOwl wrote:

milkman wrote:

Storm wrote:

If you get the chance read "Into Thin Air". Very good true story about a climb gone bad.

Good book. Good read.

OK Lets continue the thread - what did you like about the book?

I like to multi-task so I've been listening to this on audiobook. After 5 chapters, I was ready to quit listening. Hearing about the lives and families of the characters and knowing the outcome makes it depressing for me. I decided to give it another chance today and was fascinated by the politics and history of mountaineering and climbing Mt. Everest.