Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Using Smart Phones on the trail.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

Here and now, I would like to fess up to Kevin.

On my walk yesterday......... :whistling: ..........I looked at my eye-gadget map with the little blue dot that tells you where you are! KillMe

I was testing it, and me......I had long site lines and a straight easy course and I would look at my map and the landscape...give a guess, and then look at the blue dot.
      Come over to the dark side. We have cookies!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Here and now, I would like to fess up to Kevin.

On my walk yesterday......... :whistling: ..........I looked at my eye-gadget map with the little blue dot that tells you where you are! KillMe

I was testing it, and me......I had long site lines and a straight easy course and I would look at my map and the landscape...give a guess, and then look at the blue dot.
      Look for Google "tracks" app... tis fun I tell ya - easy to use.
      Which one is it ? I don't see one specifically by Google.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I guess I must be the only one here without a smart phone.
      My old, stupid, flip phone serves my needs just fine.

SandyofPA wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

You are not the only one! I also use a phone that is just for talking to people, yes it is a flip phone.

Don't feel lonely.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I have now updated 3 of my children from flip phones to slide phones (easier to text). The only one who has a smart phone paid for it himself, along with part of the monthly data plan. Philosophy is a phone in today's day and age is a safety tool, where as a smart phone is a luxury item.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I have now updated 3 of my children from flip phones to slide phones (easier to text). The only one who has a smart phone paid for it himself, along with part of the monthly data plan. Philosophy is a phone in today's day and age is a safety tool, where as a smart phone is a luxury item.
      I've just recently transitioned to a smart phone. It became more than a luxury item for me because I'm married to a reference librarian, so a typical dinner conversation will at some point involve a question we don't know the answer to so we look it up (looking up info is exempt from our no-phones-at-the-table rule). As a result I have a reputation of knowing a lot of trivial info. Just last week in the middle of my biochemistry lecture I went off on a diversion about the chemistry of blue pigments used in renaissance paintings, that included art history, geography, politics, king tut, etymology, etc... the students were all kind of shocked and thought I was just making it all up. I assured them it was all true. They wanted to know how I knew all of that. I asked back, considering that they all had a computer in their pockets that is connected to much of the world's information, why is it that the DIDN'T know that?
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

You are not the only one! I also use a phone that is just for talking to people, yes it is a flip phone.
      Don't feel lonely.
      We have professional therapy over at the shelter for this. take a moment and roll out the mummy bag...Dr Ruth is out on leave.... possibly retirement. Dr. Phil is philling in....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: