Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

A place to post your weight savings or tinkering ideas. This title was suggested by OZ. If others join in perhaps it should be changed to reflect the participation. Like other threads I have created, I hope others contribute. I am selfish and want your ideas.

This can be a polarizing topic, so let me hit a few of the common thoughts up front.

The best way to save weight is on your body. Your legs are carrying you too.

The next best way to save weight is in the big 3 (or 4 depending on how you categorize). At first it may not seem worth the money, but divided over a few thousand miles, that goose down bag pays for itself mile by mile. Not all can afford the best, but get the best and lightest you can and look at it as a long term investment.

If it gives you a headache counting grams, don't do it. This is not for everyone. Some strange minds (like mine) enjoy tinkering, creating, and planning. There can be great personal satisfaction derived from making or scavenging a superior item that weighs less and performs better than something bought at your favorite hiking mecca.

With that redundant rant, let the eyes start rolling. gif.014 gif.014 gif.014 gif.014
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

What to carry your fuel in.

Many have suggested the common water bottle. I do not like that idea (for me) because I don't want to confuse fuel with water.

Many have suggested the bottles designed and built by professionals. I do not like that idea because I did not make or scavenge it, it weighs more, and costs too much.

Many have suggested the 12.5 ounce plastic "mickey" (rum, vodka, etc) bottle. I like this idea because it costs 15 cents at a redemption center, is very durable, and I don't drink alcohol. But alas, it weighs 48 grams with a sports water bottle cap on it.

Many have suggested this little baby:

It weighs 11 or 12 grams and holds 12.5 fluid ounces of fuel. But alas, it is hard to find and kinda' looks like a water bottle.

Last night as I was using a rolling pin to gain remnants of ketchup out of the next item I am about to suggest, I had a brain storm. This might be a good fuel container, I thought.

It holds 10.5 fluid ounces of fuel, is durable, has a small offset spout for easy pouring, and fuel looks nothing like ketchup. And it weighs 11 grams. And it is free (after enjoying the product inside).

An 8 gram chair:

There are tons of places to sit on the trail. However, they are often wet or dirty. A tip I gleaned from Kaboose solves this issue and provides a great door mat to your shelter.

Cheap car windshield sunscreens are sold at many "dollar" type stores across the country. Cut an 18" square out of it. Use it as a shield between your butt and the grungy surface you would like to sit on. Use it as a door mat to your shelter so you don't bring in debris at night and have a place to stick you feet out in the morning to put on your trail runners. Always keep the same side down (the white side).

Fold it in thirds in one direction and then in half the other. Fold it so the dirty side will always be inside. This makes it a bit smaller than your freezer bag cozy. I store it in the mesh pocket on the back of my pack behind said cozy.

And it weighs 8 grams. And it costs a dollar.

[quote="BirdBrain" post=20494

Last night as I was using a rolling pin to gain remnants of ketchup out of the next item I am about to suggest, I had a brain storm. This might be a good fuel container, I thought.

[attach=1094]img_3803.jpg[/attach]
      It holds 10.5 fluid ounces of fuel, is durable, has a small offset spout for easy pouring, and fuel looks nothing like ketchup. And it weighs 11 grams. And it is free (after enjoying the product inside).[/quote]

Great idea. I've never seen ketchup packaged this way. Red/orange is the universal biohazard color too.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

[quote="BirdBrain" post=20494

[attach=1094]img_3803.jpg[/attach]
      It holds 10.5 fluid ounces of fuel, is durable, has a small offset spout for easy pouring, and fuel looks nothing like ketchup. And it weighs 11 grams. And it is free (after enjoying the product inside).

Great idea. I've never seen ketchup packaged this way. Red/orange is the universal biohazard color too.[/quote]

They sell them at WalMart. We buy them this way because of our lifestyle. We picnic as much as we can. These are lightweight containers that pack well.

If you try this concept, use a secondary container such as a freezer bag Ziploc and store it where it won't be subject to crushing forces. I have seen too many spills and leaks on the trail because of lack of care and foresight.

Cook pots:

I will make this short and sweet. Forego expensive titanium. It is a horrible heat conductor. If you buy titanium, you have bought an expensive insulator.

Thermal conductivity of titanium is 21.9 W/mK
      Thermal conductivity of aluminum is 250 W/mK

Ideally you would build a caldera cone out of titanium and have a titanium lid for your aluminum pot. I think an aluminum KMart grease pot for under $10 and a caledra cone made of aluminum roofing flashing is sufficient though.
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

Pretty self explanatory. These are made from clothespins and weigh 5 grams each. I used red high heat silicone for the feet. Ugly build, but serves the purpose. That is shockcord wrapping holding them in place. If you build them this way, you can stand on the canister and the legs will not move. It just takes a little time and a couple of wood files.

BirdBrain wrote:

Pretty self explanatory. These are made from clothespins and weigh 5 grams each. I used red high heat silicone for the feet. Ugly build, but serves the purpose. That is shockcord wrapping holding them in place. If you build them this way, you can stand on the canister and the legs will not move. It just takes a little time and a couple of wood files.

Why???
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Why???

Stability on uneven surfaces. A log. Pile of rocks. Why do they sell the other tripod canister supports. This was an early mod by me. I don't plan on using canisters. Some do. Some buy those expensive tripod versions. This is a lighter and smaller and cheaper alternative. I will find a link to the product it replaces.

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Why???

Stability on uneven surfaces. A log. Pile of rocks. Why do they sell the other tripod canister supports. This was an early mod by me. I don't plan on using canisters. Some do. Some buy those expensive tripod versions. This is a lighter and smaller and cheaper alternative. I will find a link to the product it replaces.

Oh, that's why....I didn't even think that........I just level out a space :silly:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Why???

Oh, that's why....I didn't even think that........I just level out a space :silly:

Yup. That is even lighter. Still... those tripods seem to sell good. I would never buy one. You will likely see me post a few things I would never carry. I just hope to save someone money and weight if they are compelled to carry a certain widget.

Here is some of my gramweenieness:

From left to right: 2 "pill bottles made from soft drink bottles, empty eye dropper for soap or hot sauce or bleach,2 fuel bottles marked in 1 oz increments, smart water bottles for water, and out front are 30 coleman biowipes that have been air dried so that they now weigh 2.4 oz instead of 8oz.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

BirdBrain wrote:

Cook pots:

I will make this short and sweet. Forego expensive titanium. It is a horrible heat conductor. If you buy titanium, you have bought an expensive insulator.

Ideally you would build a caldera cone out of titanium and have a titanium lid for your aluminum pot. I think an aluminum KMart grease pot for under $10 and a caledra cone made of aluminum roofing flashing is sufficient though.
      the only benefit titanium provides is strength. it is almost twice as heavy as aluminum(1.67x, and is a poorer conductor. i attribute its popularity to the simple reason that it sounds so cool.
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Cook pots:

the only benefit titanium provides is strength. it is almost twice as heavy as aluminum(1.67x, and is a poorer conductor. i attribute its popularity to the simple reason that it sounds so cool.

Melting temperature is also a factor with multi fuel Caldera cones. The aluminum cone can't use wood as a fuel.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Cook pots:

Melting temperature is also a factor with multi fuel Caldera cones. The aluminum cone can't use wood as a fuel.

my statement was general. you' re right of course.aluminum has a lower melting point.titanium is also more corrosion resistant than stainless steel or aluminum.
      its all good

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

My door mat/ ground cover for sitting/hitch hiking sign from tyvek:

That sign I like!

Especially if it works!

It hasn't failed me yet. One of my most useful pieces of gear.

I'll vouch for that.
      I had two made out of an old high visibility vest of the kind road workers wear.
      Only dual use was I wrapped metal things like spoon in them so they wouldn't damage mesh pocket of pack. Excellent value. Did have them that colour deliberately for hunter "blaze orange" reasons but never really in any hunting season areas.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I despise metric so I can never be a gram weenie... maybe I can be an Avoirdupois weenie.

I do not think of myself as a lightweight hiker, but if anything I am moving in the direction of minimalist and I've cut out a lot of gear that I didnt use or redundant items that easily creep in.

I have done things like drop the pump in favor of a Sawyer and started using 20oz Dr Pepper bottles for water. Switched to an alcohol stove as well.

Right now my new pack, hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilt come in at 9lbs 6oz and I'm happy with that. Maybe another 2lbs for everthing else except for any extra clothes, fuel, water and food.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Tuckahoe wrote:

I despise metric so I can never be a gram weenie... maybe I can be an Avoirdupois weenie.

I do not think of myself as a lightweight hiker, but if anything I am moving in the direction of minimalist and I've cut out a lot of gear that I didnt use or redundant items that easily creep in.

I have done things like drop the pump in favor of a Sawyer and started using 20oz Dr Pepper bottles for water. Switched to an alcohol stove as well.

Right now my new pack, hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilt come in at 9lbs 6oz and I'm happy with that. Maybe another 2lbs for everthing else except for any extra clothes, fuel, water and food.

mmmmm 1000gms = 1 kilogram = 1 litre
      16 ounces = 1 pint or is that 20 ounces and is that weight or volume and how many pints in a gallon.....
      Yes I can see metric system is confusing.
      And the yards in a mile is a winner too.

I grew up with imperial units which were similar to your units. Changed just after I left school. No problems adapting.

On another note when will you guys dump the penny, sorry cent, and the 1 dollar bill?
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

16 ounces = 1 pint or is that 20 ounces and is that weight or volume and how many pints in a gallon.....

I grew up with imperial units which were similar to your units. Changed just after I left school. No problems adapting.

On another note when will you guys dump the penny, sorry cent, and the 1 dollar bill?

3 teaspoons make a tablespoon.
      2 tablespoons make an ounce.
      8 ounces make a cup
      2 cups make a pint
      2 points make a quart
      4 quarts make a gallon
      256 tablespoons make a gallon

What is confusing?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

8 ounces make a cup
      2 cups make a pint
      2 points make a quart
      4 quarts make a gallon

What is confusing?

I think your pint is making a point in my favour. gif.015
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

8 ounces make a cup
      2 cups make a pint
      2 points make a quart
      4 quarts make a gallon

What is confusing?

I think your pint is making a point in my favour. gif.015

I prefer 96 teaspoons
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I dont remember saying that I found metric confusing.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I dislike metrics because it's too easy. Anyone can count to ten.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Sorry.
      Not trying to have a go at you.
      Just remember all the anti metric stuff before we changed.
      It's not as much of a hassle as you might think.
      The human animal is resistant to change.
      The world turns. You have to learn to turn with it.

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I found your initial statement to be levity and not a serious comment on the merits of either system. I was tempted to weigh with my opinion, but did not want to treat your statement as something it was not. But.... since others are now piling on.... I despise the system we use. I believe it only survives because of our collective arrogance here in the USA. I love the metric system and will be glad when we finally come out of the dark ages and embrace a base 10 system.

Getting back on thread topic.
      I know I have said it elsewhere but make pot cozys for your pots. They save fuel by removing the need for a simmer period.
      Keep pack clean and reduce rattles too.

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I found your initial statement to be levity and not a serious comment on the merits of either system. I was tempted to weigh with my opinion, but did not want to treat your statement as something it was not. But.... since others are now piling on.... I despise the system we use. I believe it only survives because of our collective arrogance here in the USA. I love the metric system and will be glad when we finally come out of the dark ages and embrace a base 10 system.

I use both in my profession. Metric for all nutritional analysis and a mix of metric and English for recipes. They are both easy and effective. Neither is inferior or better.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I use both in my profession. Metric for all nutritional analysis and a mix of metric and English for recipes. They are both easy and effective. Neither is inferior or better.

Much of the opinions and feelings about the systems is based in preference. Preferring one or the other does not make the person superior or inferior. It is just what the person prefers. As a person with OCD, the varying rules and divisions drive me batty. It hurts just measuring things. But, that is because I have an issue with such things.