Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I cleaned up my list, it looks much better.

Looks like I am the heavy weight. I am up to 19 lbs before food and water and am not done entering data. I have a few more tiny items to log. Looks like I have some work to do. 2.gif

It's all those grams adding up
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Looks like I am the heavy weight. I am up to 19 lbs before food and water and am not done entering data. I have a few more tiny items to log. Looks like I have some work to do. 2.gif

I am not your typical gram weenie. I do not believe in sacrificing safety and comfort in the name of grams. I likely take many things others will not. I also lack some of JJ's abilities and I have not got it all figured out yet. I believe my total will be about 20 lbs before food and water. I carry 1.4 lbs of food per day. I am doing okay, but am always looking to improve.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I am not your typical gram weenie. I do not believe in sacrificing safety and comfort in the name of grams. I likely take many things others will not. I also lack some of JJ's abilities and I have not got it all figured out yet. I believe my total will be about 20 lbs before food and water. I carry 1.4 lbs of food per day. I am doing okay, but am always looking to improve.

I don't like a lot of stuff. I'm more of a minimalist than a gram weenie. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to start carrying a hair brush...that's a major decision! :lol:
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I don't like a lot of stuff. I'm more of a minimalist than a gram weenie. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to start carrying a hair brush...that's a major decision! :lol:

Take a longer look at my list. I can make your pack heavier if you study it for a while. As to the brush, you could do what I do... shave most of it off before a hike.

I am posting this over here because I believe I have created a pot stand with about as good of a strength to weight ratio as can be made. It weighs 10 grams and has a heat shield. With the final modification of bending tabs over the legs, this stand became very strong. 3 points of contact is the minimum requirement for a stand and is desirable for even contact. Having a stove sitting in this guarantees proper stove to pot offset. I believe I have a winner.

BirdBrain wrote:

I am posting this over here because I believe I have created a pot stand with about as good of a strength to weight ratio as can be made. It weighs 10 grams and has a heat shield. With the final modification of bending tabs over the legs, this stand became very strong. 3 points of contact is the minimum requirement for a stand and is desirable for even contact. Having a stove sitting in this guarantees proper stove to pot offset. I believe I have a winner.

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! I believe you are the Stove God.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! I believe you are the Stove God.

My stove abilities don't hold a candle to your cuben fiber creations. I save grams with my creations. You save pounds with yours. Ya'... I am little jealous. Thank you for your kind words though.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

Looks like your creating a winning combination of stove and stand.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

BirdBrain wrote:

You could shave some weight if you cut out a circle in the bottom of the can. I think your burner does not contact the center of the can bottom.

I have the wire (0.062" piano wire) and the can, but not the cable tie. I may improvise by overlapping the ends, wrapping with fine wire, and using some JB Weld. Or make the joint at the bottom of the can and save the weight of the cable tie and the overlapping wire.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

I went looking for those wire connectors at the nearest Walmart, but no luck. Availability probably varies from store to store, depending on the size of the store, and local interest. Some Walmart stores have very few tortillas, probably due to lack of interest. I guess I will try Lowe's.

I am going ultralight. I just shaved 43 grams off my head. Oops - now I need protection from the sun and flies - oh well.

stoviewander wrote:

I went looking for those wire connectors at the nearest Walmart, but no luck. Availability probably varies from store to store, depending on the size of the store, and local interest. Some Walmart stores have very few tortillas, probably due to lack of interest. I guess I will try Lowe's.

I am going ultralight. I just shaved 43 grams off my head. Oops - now I need protection from the sun and flies - oh well.

Did you seriously weigh your hair clippings? :lol:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

Doesn't everyone weigh their hair? I get a haircut just before every hiking trip.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

Doesn't everyone weigh their hair? I get a haircut just before every hiking trip.

I'm gonna weigh my clippings the next time I trim my toe nails.

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

I had the scale out to weigh the various versions of the CHS-Unorthodox (8 - 11 grams). The temperature was heading near 80F, so I decided to shave my head. I thought it would be worth a laugh, so I weighed my hair.

TJ - I bet your hair weighs more, based on your avatar. If you cut it short enough you will not need the hairbrush.
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

I had the scale out to weigh the various versions of the CHS-Unorthodox (8 - 11 grams). The temperature was heading near 80F, so I decided to shave my head. I thought it would be worth a laugh, so I weighed my hair.

TJ - I bet your hair weighs more, based on your avatar. If you cut it short enough you will not need the hairbrush.

Ain't gonna happen. I'll put it in gear grams as my luxury item. I've gotta figure out how to weigh it first.

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

Ain't gonna happen. I'll put it in gear grams as my luxury item. I've gotta figure out how to weigh it first.

It was not a serious suggestion. Long hair is a plus for ladies.

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

http://briangreen.net/2013/09/micro-tick-key-hacking-size.html

I might leave my ps4 squirt home.

You know you're a gram weenie when you cut your tick key down.

I was not quite done.

Might be now. :whistle: I am working hard at this reputation. I still look bad compared to your progress though.

OzJacko wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

http://briangreen.net/2013/09/micro-tick-key-hacking-size.html

I have a totally different design.
      Made of plastic.
      :)

Do tell. Is it lighter than 1.5 grams? If it is, I might be willing to spend more money and toss this brick.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I was not quite done.

Might be now. :whistle: I am working hard at this reputation. I still look bad compared to your progress though.

Why two holes?

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I was not quite done.

Why two holes?

The big odd shaped holes is for scraping ticks off. The little hole is for a small piece of cord. The hole in the cut junk is going to be round filed (trashed).

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I was not quite done.

Why two holes?

The big odd shaped holes is for scraping ticks off. The little hole is for a small piece of cord. The hole in the cut junk is going to be round filed (trashed).

I have a Tick Key, but have never had the opportunity to use it. I was thinking the cord could be just as easily tied to the large hole. I doubt one needs the extra leverage of the tab to remove a tick. I think the cord would provide enough leverage to remove thumbtacks from wood, but that no doubt would exceed the strength of the aluminum.

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I was not quite done.

Why two holes?

I have a Tick Key, but have never had the opportunity to use it. I was thinking the cord could be just as easily tied to the large hole. I doubt one needs the extra leverage of the tab to remove a tick. I think the cord would provide enough leverage to remove thumbtacks from wood, but that no doubt would exceed the strength of the aluminum.

Don't make me make this thing lighter! I will if you push too hard.

BirdBrain wrote:

It is quiet in here. Time to make some eyes roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0lB-fhIbM

Pretty cool but at $32 yikes. I can get a whole yard of cuben for that........mmmmmm I haven't made anything in a while.... I think after I finish my yard work I'll go out in the garage and ponder over some gram weenieness over a beer or three....
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Pretty cool but at $32 yikes. I can get a whole yard of cuben for that........mmmmmm I haven't made anything in a while.... I think after I finish my yard work I'll go out in the garage and ponder over some gram weenieness over a beer or three....

I have a suggestion. I will describe it when I get home.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have a suggestion. I will describe it when I get home.

I am open to suggestions. One beer down, a little more yard work, a little more beer, a little more yard work, a little more beer, then the heck with yard work give me beer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I am open to suggestions. One beer down, a little more yard work, a little more beer, a little more yard work, a little more beer, then the heck with yard work give me beer.

Cuben fiber gutter nail pouch. This is a tyvek one. Flat 8.25" long by 1.75" wide would work good for 6 gutter nails. It could have a flap 1.75" long with a piece of shock cord. The flap would be closed over the pouch with the shock cord loop holding it in place. The tyvek would work, but if you are looking for cuben fiber ideas, this would be one. Just an idea.

I did cut .5 oz from my gear today. I decided that my neoair pad did not need a stuff sack. I had some 1/8" flat elastic and tied 2 knots in the end of 2 pieces to make 2 rubber bands to put around the pad. They wouldn't even register on my digital scale.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Cuben fiber gutter nail pouch. This is a tyvek one. Flat 8.25" long by 1.75" wide would work good for 6 gutter nails. It could have a flap 1.75" long with a piece of shock cord. The flap would be closed over the pouch with the shock cord loop holding it in place. The tyvek would work, but if you are looking for cuben fiber ideas, this would be one. Just an idea.

BB- I already have one for my shepard style stakes in cuben. But I'll make you one. I could use some velcro on the flap or I'll use shock cord- let me know which you would prefer. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference