Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

Tuckahoe wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I could start another thread, but think this falls into the spirit of this one. Besides it might not get many responses and therefore would not be worthy of its own thread.

I used 550 paracord for my varmint deterrent food bag hang last year. I was happy with how it performed. It slid on the limbs fine and did not tangle easily. However, I am looking to make that item lighter and more compact this year.

For those that hang their food, what do you use for line and how does it compare to 550 paracord?

I use the 1.44mm orange dyneema slick cord from Zpacks ..65 oz for 50ft 330 lb test. It slides over branches nicely. It is small and slick and could possibly cut into your hands if a little care is not exercised. I used to use the reflective glow cord but it does not and gets hung up easily. I stuck some 3m reflective tape on my food bag so i can find it on those mornings i start before sunrise .

Zingit and dynaglide as well as other light weight cordage used for shelter guy lines, or for food bags are also the same lines that arborists are using as throw lines. Good strong and light weight lines.

wesspur.com/throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html

There may be a good choice on the website TH, but there are too many choices for me to know what is good. If you have a preference and/or experience with one, I will ask specific questions about it.

JJ, does your choice tangle easily or cut into branches more than paracord? Like I said, I like paracord. It is just too bulky. If I can find a line that performs as good as paracord and save weight, I am all over it. What do you think of this stuff?

http://lawsonequipment.com/Dyneema-Ironwire-Cord/Dyneema-Ironwire-50-Lime-Green-p978.html

It is dyneema, but a bit heavier.

I also notice zpacks sells different thicknesses of dyneema.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I could start another thread, but think this falls into the spirit of this one. Besides it might not get many responses and therefore would not be worthy of its own thread.

I used 550 paracord for my varmint deterrent food bag hang last year. I was happy with how it performed. It slid on the limbs fine and did not tangle easily. However, I am looking to make that item lighter and more compact this year.

For those that hang their food, what do you use for line and how does it compare to 550 paracord?

I use the 1.44mm orange dyneema slick cord from Zpacks ..65 oz for 50ft 330 lb test. It slides over branches nicely. It is small and slick and could possibly cut into your hands if a little care is not exercised. I used to use the reflective glow cord but it does not and gets hung up easily. I stuck some 3m reflective tape on my food bag so i can find it on those mornings i start before sunrise .

Zingit and dynaglide as well as other light weight cordage used for shelter guy lines, or for food bags are also the same lines that arborists are using as throw lines. Good strong and light weight lines.

wesspur.com/throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html

There may be a good choice on the website TH, but there are too many choices for me to know what is good. If you have a preference and/or experience with one, I will ask specific questions about it.

JJ, does your choice tangle easily or cut into branches more than paracord? Like I said, I like paracord. It is just too bulky. If I can find a line that performs as good as paracord and save weight, I am all over it. What do you think of this stuff?

http://lawsonequipment.com/Dyneema-Ironwire-Cord/Dyneema-Ironwire-50-Lime-Green-p978.html

It is dyneema, but a bit heavier.

I also notice zpacks sells different thicknesses of dyneema.

BB,

It slides right over the branches, it does not cut into the limbs like the reflective cord. The cord is actually kind of waxy and slippery. lawson sells good stuff too.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Okay, this is good information.

I have another question though: You air dry your bio wipes. Do you lose some of the cleaning ability via drying? Is there alcohol loss? Do the perform as well dried and dipped in water? I assume you rehydrate them when you use them.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

Okay, this is good information.

I have another question though: You air dry your bio wipes. Do you lose some of the cleaning ability via drying? Is there alcohol loss? Do the perform as well dried and dipped in water? I assume you rehydrate them when you use them.

I do not think the Coleman have alcohol on them. I put one or two in a baggy and add a little water. Great for cleaning up at the end of the day or after #2.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

jimmyjam wrote:

I walked thru a lot of wet grass last year in Virginia as i like to start walking right at sunrise and my feet would get wet when they might not otherwise

I am not sure you are going to stop that. I took Vivobarefoot water shoes on my walk last year. Maine has a few places you get your feet wet. I saw a few people trudge right through. I questioned one person about it. He said after a while it is not worth the time or effort and that you feet are going to get wet anyways. He advised having a setup on your feet that can withstand being wet (not fall apart or give you blisters). I consider all views. I trudged through a few spots. I see his logic now. I am not sure it is totally for me, but he is right about one thing. Your feet are going to get wet (unless you wear tall waterproof things and I ain't doing that).

Having said all this, I am interested in your findings. Seems to me they would not last. I also thought that about spandex ones. I love my Dirty Girls. I only wear gaiters to keep debris out of my shoes. The lighter the better.

Tent pegs:

Some gram weenies spend big bucks on titanium tent pegs. Cheep gram weenies like me look for a less expensive option. I typically carry only 6 pegs with me. The ones that came with my tent are shown below. They are 7" aluminum hooks.

The next set are gutter nails. They are 7" hollow aluminum spikes that cost $4.99 for a set of 10 (if you can find them). These babies are a lot tougher than the titanium hooks. No rock or root is going to bend them. And they save 20 grams. And they are cheap (if you can find them).

BirdBrain wrote:

Tent pegs:

Some gram weenies spend big bucks on titanium tent pegs. Cheep gram weenies like me look for a less expensive option. I typically carry only 6 pegs with me. The ones that came with my tent are shown below. They are 7" aluminum hooks.

The next set are gutter nails. They are 7" hollow aluminum spikes that cost $4.99 for a set of 10 (if you can find them). These babies are a lot tougher than the titanium hooks. No rock or root is going to bend them. And they save 20 grams. And they are cheap (if you can find them).

Sweet!!

I use the same gutter nails for my tarp. Tougher and cheaper than the "ti" pin. Hard to beat a tent peg at $0.49 a piece. Probably not cool enough for the cool kids, nevermind that some of the dont know what a hardware store is.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Tuckahoe wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tent pegs:

Sweet!!

I use the same gutter nails for my tarp. Tougher and cheaper than the "ti" pin. Hard to beat a tent peg at $0.49 a piece. Probably not cool enough for the cool kids, nevermind that some of the dont know what a hardware store is.

they do know what a software store is though
      its all good

Tuckahoe wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tent pegs:

Sweet!!

From your post, I am sure you understand what these are. They are not gutter screws and they are not galvanized and they are hollow. It is easy to find the screws. Occasionally you can find the galvanized spikes. The hollow aluminum gutter nails have become very rare.
    • Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

way back when, when wingfoot ran trailplace and whiteblaze first started, the use of gutter nails was recommended ad naseum. then all of a sudden stopped. this is the first time i have read about gutter nails in years. i wonder why gutter nails fell off the radar?
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

way back when, when wingfoot ran trailplace and whiteblaze first started, the use of gutter nails was recommended ad naseum. then all of a sudden stopped. this is the first time i have read about gutter nails in years. i wonder why gutter nails fell off the radar?
      they're not considered cool.titanium is cool. if they made titanium paracord, someone would buy it.
      titanium socks-not so good
      its all good

I've got some gutter spikes that I was using as stakes. I drilled holes under the head and put a little loop of cord thru to make it easy to pull them out. They really do work good.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I've got some gutter spikes that I was using as stakes. I drilled holes under the head and put a little loop of cord thru to make it easy to pull them out. They really do work good.

I was gonna ask about that, because that why I like my stock aluminum v-shaped pegs.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I was gonna ask about that, because that why I like my stock aluminum v-shaped pegs.

I'll try and post a pic of them tomorrow.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Ok so I was bored today as it was raining and nothing to do. So I decided to make something to lighten my load just a little. I taped together a few cuben scraps and made a new bag to carry my cook kit. The old one weighed 40 g this one is 6 g. I know it's a sickness and I need to get out and hike.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

How much does each stake weigh?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Here's my gutter spike tent stakes:

I wonder how light you could make that thing. That would be a worthy item.

Which thing are you referring to?

The storage container. It looks heavy to me. I have never seen one that allows for individual storage. You would know instantly if one was missing.

On another note, I am considering anodizing my nails rather than painting them. I ponder all kinds of things.

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/gear/340-musings-tinkerings-of-a-birdbrained-gram-weenie.html?start=80#21939

79 grams for 6

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/gear/340-musings-tinkerings-of-a-birdbrained-gram-weenie.html?start=80#21939

79 grams for 6

Not Bad
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Here's my gutter spike tent stakes:

I wonder how light you could make that thing. That would be a worthy item.

Which thing are you referring to?

The storage container. It looks heavy to me. I have never seen one that allows for individual storage. You would know instantly if one was missing.

On another note, I am considering anodizing my nails rather than painting them. I ponder all kinds of things.

I'm not sure what it weighs, I made it in my pre-gram weenie days. The individual pockets are just made with a line of stitching. I'll throw it on the scale and let you know. I modeled it after a crescent wrench wrap.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

mine with the cord weigh 13 grams each and the carry case weighs 12 grams.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The biggest misconception I find in being a gram weenie is that you have to sacrifice comfort or safety to be a gram weenie. For me, counting grams is about comfort. It is more comfortable to carry a light pack. It is not comfortable to wipe your butt with things you find on the trail. If you are sacrificing comfort or safety in the name of saving weight, you miss the point of being a gram weenie.

You would not carry a 6 man tent on the trail. You carry something lighter that works for you. If you can understand that concept, you understand the basis of being a gram weenie. I seek to take the lightest functional alternative to any and all needed items. If it does not function right, it is not an option. If it is needed, I take it. If it is not needed, I don't take it.

BirdBrain wrote:

The biggest misconception I find in being a gram weenie is that you have to sacrifice comfort or safety to be a gram weenie. For me, counting grams is about comfort. It is more comfortable to carry a light pack. It is not comfortable to wipe your butt with things you find on the trail. If you are sacrificing comfort or safety in the name of saving weight, you miss the point of being a gram weenie.

You would not carry a 6 man tent on the trail. You carry something lighter that works for you. If you can understand that concept, you understand the basis of being a gram weenie. I seek to take the lightest functional alternative to any and all needed items. If it does not function right, it is not an option. If it is needed, I take it. If it is not needed, I don't take it.

Well said my fellow gram weenie .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.nuun.com/products

My lightweight way of replenishing things lost because of the physical demands of the trail.

I like those too. Sometimes i use the gatoraid powder but at about half strength . Some people make their own with sugar, salt and favoring.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.nuun.com/products

My lightweight way of replenishing things lost because of the physical demands of the trail.

I like those too. Sometimes i use the gatoraid powder but at about half strength . Some people make their own with sugar, salt and favoring.

I only drink it when it's hot and humid. Otherwise, I stick to water.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

I don't seem to be tipping you heavy weights over yet. I obviously am not trying hard enough. Perhaps this will draw some ire. This is a way to save 5 grams. There is no need to have a pull cord for each gutter nail. One endless loop will suffice. The loop can be made with a square knot. I made mine with 2 slip knots. If a nail is stubborn, use this loop as shown.