Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I despise metric so I can never be a gram weenie... maybe I can be an Avoirdupois weenie.

I do not think of myself as a lightweight hiker, but if anything I am moving in the direction of minimalist and I've cut out a lot of gear that I didnt use or redundant items that easily creep in.

I have done things like drop the pump in favor of a Sawyer and started using 20oz Dr Pepper bottles for water. Switched to an alcohol stove as well.

Right now my new pack, hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilt come in at 9lbs 6oz and I'm happy with that. Maybe another 2lbs for everthing else except for any extra clothes, fuel, water and food.

mmmmm 1000gms = 1 kilogram = 1 litre
      16 ounces = 1 pint or is that 20 ounces and is that weight or volume and how many pints in a gallon.....
      Yes I can see metric system is confusing.
      And the yards in a mile is a winner too.

I grew up with imperial units which were similar to your units. Changed just after I left school. No problems adapting.

On another note when will you guys dump the penny, sorry cent, and the 1 dollar bill?

I dont remember saying that I found metric confusing.

I found your initial statement to be levity and not a serious comment on the merits of either system. I was tempted to weigh with my opinion, but did not want to treat your statement as something it was not. But.... since others are now piling on.... I despise the system we use. I believe it only survives because of our collective arrogance here in the USA. I love the metric system and will be glad when we finally come out of the dark ages and embrace a base 10 system.

I use both in my profession. Metric for all nutritional analysis and a mix of metric and English for recipes. They are both easy and effective. Neither is inferior or better.

Much of the opinions and feelings about the systems is based in preference. Preferring one or the other does not make the person superior or inferior. It is just what the person prefers. As a person with OCD, the varying rules and divisions drive me batty. It hurts just measuring things. But, that is because I have an issue with such things.

Then you would really hate watching chefs using their palm as a measuring spoon. Or worse, using a wire whip as a measuring cup for flour.

Beer Batter Recipe:
      Two dips of the whip into the floor bin, a ramekin of baking powder, a palmspoon of salt and about a pint of beer.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I despise metric so I can never be a gram weenie... maybe I can be an Avoirdupois weenie.

I do not think of myself as a lightweight hiker, but if anything I am moving in the direction of minimalist and I've cut out a lot of gear that I didnt use or redundant items that easily creep in.

I have done things like drop the pump in favor of a Sawyer and started using 20oz Dr Pepper bottles for water. Switched to an alcohol stove as well.

Right now my new pack, hammock, tarp, top and bottom quilt come in at 9lbs 6oz and I'm happy with that. Maybe another 2lbs for everthing else except for any extra clothes, fuel, water and food.

16 ounces = 1 pint or is that 20 ounces and is that weight or volume and how many pints in a gallon.....

I grew up with imperial units which were similar to your units. Changed just after I left school. No problems adapting.

On another note when will you guys dump the penny, sorry cent, and the 1 dollar bill?

Sorry.
      Not trying to have a go at you.
      Just remember all the anti metric stuff before we changed.
      It's not as much of a hassle as you might think.
      The human animal is resistant to change.
      The world turns. You have to learn to turn with it.

The only one who really likes change is ...

a wet baby
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I found your initial statement to be levity and not a serious comment on the merits of either system. I was tempted to weigh with my opinion, but did not want to treat your statement as something it was not. But.... since others are now piling on.... I despise the system we use. I believe it only survives because of our collective arrogance here in the USA. I love the metric system and will be glad when we finally come out of the dark ages and embrace a base 10 system.

I use both in my profession. Metric for all nutritional analysis and a mix of metric and English for recipes. They are both easy and effective. Neither is inferior or better.

Much of the opinions and feelings about the systems is based in preference. Preferring one or the other does not make the person superior or inferior. It is just what the person prefers. As a person with OCD, the varying rules and divisions drive me batty. It hurts just measuring things. But, that is because I have an issue with such things.

Then you would really hate watching chefs using their palm as a measuring spoon. Or worse, using a wire whip as a measuring cup for flour.

Beer Batter Recipe:
      Two dips of the whip into the floor bin, a ramekin of baking powder, a palmspoon of salt and about a pint of beer.

Correct. I would suck as a chef. My mother makes the best pie crust on the planet. Ya', I know. Everyone thinks that. But I am being honest. It is not even close. Her pie crust defies physics. You can eat a piece of her chocolate cream pie out of your hand without getting a speck of anything on your hands. When you bite through it, it is like it is not even there. My wife is a good cook. She has tried several times to see what my mother is doing. There is no recipe that can be written down. She measures nothing. It is all in the feel and look of the dough on the day she makes it. The recipe is adjusted by eye depending on how the dough reacts. When my mother dies, the best pie crust on the planet will cease to exist. If you tried it, you would agree. I have never met someone that tried her crust that does not agree.

We all have our abilities. Being a good chef is a gift from above. I don't have that gift.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Beer Batter Recipe:

Correct. I would suck as a chef. My mother makes the best pie crust on the planet. Ya', I know. Everyone thinks that. But I am being honest. It is not even close. Her pie crust defies physics. You can eat a piece of her chocolate cream pie out of your hand without getting a speck of anything on your hands. When you bite through it, it is like it is not even there. My wife is a good cook. She has tried several times to see what my mother is doing. There is no recipe that can be written down. She measures nothing. It is all in the feel and look of the dough on the day she makes it. The recipe is adjusted by eye depending on how the dough reacts. When my mother dies, the best pie crust on the planet will cease to exist. If you tried it, you would agree. I have never met someone that tried her crust that does not agree.

We all have our abilities. Being a good chef is a gift from above. I don't have that gift.

Your mom understood absorption rate with flour is variable. Brand new flour is almost moist compared to six month old flour. The temperature of the flour will also effect the dough. Colder flour with flake with the butter better the warm flour. People say baking is science but there is more to it then that. Science can't teach feel or measure elasticity in a timely fashion. The old saying "A little of this, a little of that" was accurate.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Beer Batter Recipe:

Your mom understood absorption rate with flour is variable. Brand new flour is almost moist compared to six month old flour. The temperature of the flour will also effect the dough. Colder flour with flake with the butter better the warm flour. People say baking is science but there is more to it then that. Science can't teach feel or measure elasticity in a timely fashion. The old saying "A little of this, a little of that" was accurate.

Her crust is worthy of one more rant. She is a good cook. Her food is good. I have tasted many items cooked by others that was better. I would not admit this to her. She is a very good cook, but the best at only one thing. There are very few bests in life. There are very few things that inspire the emotion that this cannot be improved upon. I have seen the Grand Canyon. It is incredible. I will likely see better. It is not possible to make crust better than what my mother does. Honestly, every other crust I have ever tasted is like tree bark in comparison. There are no words to describe how good this stuff is. I swear it comes from the very throne of God. My wife refuses to make pie crust. This is not because of anything I have said. It is because she has tried something that should not exist on this planet. She has tasted absolute perfection. And no... I do not say this because it is my mother. I would say it if your mother had made this.

Sorry. I had to finish the praise.

Well I had no intention start a debate over the merits of the metric system vs the US Customary/traditional English.

Can certainly use both systems, and I can appreciate the history of both systems and how they developed. Neither is superior to the other and both serve the function well.

The metric system was born in Revolutionary France at a time that France had hundreds of thousands of different units of weights and measure. This was France giving birth to its own national system, something to unify the country. A system that was logical and scientific... AND decimalized. Which was all the rage. Remember that France imposed on itself a decimalized clock and a decimalized calendar. It is easy to understand the love of the metric system, its simple, ordered and logical. And it is an example of man's desire to impose himself on nature.

The US system comes to us from our English heritage, born of the Romans and the Saxons. And while metric is man's desire to impose on nature, the US system is nature imposing itself on man. Nature does not divide itself by 10, it devides itself by quarter, halves and thirds.

The mile was born from 1000 paces of Roman infantry. The acre from the area of land that an ox team could plow in a day. The digit, inch, palm, hand, foot, cubit, yard, pace, ell, and fathom are all from the human body and guaged to it.

To me mtric is clinical, ordered, imposed and logical. US customary is natural, beautiful and atrisitc; its what we have because we were so connected to the outside world.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

What is sad though is that we have lost the meanings many things as we move metric. Today Jack and Jill is an innocent childrens rhyme, but traditionally its a rhyme about getting drunk and that a jack is half a cup of alcohol and a jill (gill) is a quarter cup.

Its also fun to watch young archeologists only thinking in metric not understand why post holes are 183 or 366 cm apart, and they have to be reminded that tts 6 and 12 feet.

Tuckahoe wrote:

Well I had no intention start a debate over the merits of the metric system vs the US Customary/traditional English.

Can certainly use both systems, and I can appreciate the history of both systems and how they developed. Neither is superior to the other and both serve the function well.

To me mtric is clinical, ordered, imposed and logical. US customary is natural, beautiful and atrisitc; its what we have because we were so connected to the outside world.

The problem is mixing them. I do a lot of work in a lab that has gear from two competing manufacturers. One manufacturer has a mounting system with M6x1.0 holes on 25 mm centers, and the other has a mounting system with 1/4"-20 holes on 1 inch centers. Hardware for the two systems is nearly identical to the eye and is always getting put back in the wrong bins. It's frustrating to have to go through gauging a pile of bolts because the first three you pulled out of the M6 bin were 1/4-20's in the wrong place.

On the other hand, I still want my beer in an Imperial pint. A US pint or a half-litre leaves me feeling cheated. I'm convinced that Imperial fluid measure started with the pint and scaled up and down from there (from drachm to tun - all approximate powers of two, with the larger measures grossed up to allow for ullage).
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

Another issue is conversion. All warships have been mandated by congress to be build to metric standards. Someone's answer to that was to do "soft metrics" and allow for conversions. I have been debating with these guys for a decade. I have told them repeatedly to stop converting and start thinking in the new system. It is easier to straight face 35 mm than it is to try to think what that means in inches and then straight face that. These guys can't grasp that concept. They assume to average worker can't handle metric. They insult the worker and degrade accuracy.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

The problem is mixing them. I do a lot of work in a lab that has gear from two competing manufacturers. One manufacturer has a mounting system with M6x1.0 holes on 25 mm centers, and the other has a mounting system with 1/4"-20 holes on 1 inch centers. Hardware for the two systems is nearly identical to the eye and is always getting put back in the wrong bins. It's frustrating to have to go through gauging a pile of bolts because the first three you pulled out of the M6 bin were 1/4-20's in the wrong place.

On the other hand, I still want my beer in an Imperial pint. A US pint or a half-litre leaves me feeling cheated. I'm convinced that Imperial fluid measure started with the pint and scaled up and down from there (from drachm to tun - all approximate powers of two, with the larger measures grossed up to allow for ullage).

Oh no AK. Imperial gallon is not the proper gallon for the sale of beer. The IG was imposed in 1824 and was to be the volume of 10lbs of water at 62 degrees. It's roughly 277 cubic inches.

The IG replaced the two standard gallons -- wine (now US gallon) and beer. These were long established in English law and the standard of Winchester. Then in 1707 defined in cubic inch as 231ci for wine and 282ci for beer.

So you see by accepting the IG you're being robbed of that extra 5ci difference. :)

Back to the gram counting.

I use "dollar" type store food coloring bottles for Purell and Dr Bronner's. Red (pink) for Purell and blue for Bronner's. They weigh 13 grams full. The insert comes out easy enough for refill, but hard enough to stay in place. I use unscented Bronner's as peppermint is a smell that attracts many animals. Ask any trapper.

BirdBrain wrote:

Another issue is conversion. All warships have been mandated by congress to be build to metric standards. Someone's answer to that was to do "soft metrics" and allow for conversions. I have been debating with these guys for a decade. I have told them repeatedly to stop converting and start thinking in the new system. It is easier to straight face 35 mm than it is to try to think what that means in inches and then straight face that. These guys can't grasp that concept. They assume to average worker can't handle metric. They insult the worker and degrade accuracy.

It's frustrating to work in an environment where metric is required but live in a society that doesn't understand it. I probably have to convert metric to english a dozen times a day so parents understand what I'm saying. You don't know how often I've heard, "4000 gms, how big is that?" One day I'm going to say, "It means you have a big ass baby!" :lol:
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

It's frustrating to work in an environment where metric is required but live in a society that doesn't understand it. I probably have to convert metric to english a dozen times a day so parents understand what I'm saying. You don't know how often I've heard, "4000 gms, how big is that?" One day I'm going to say, "It means you have a big ass baby!" :lol:

Whatever you do, never pause between those last two words.

TrafficJam wrote:

You're funny BB!

One of my packs has a lot of straps on it I'd like to cut down. Not for gramweeniness but because they get on my nerves. Should I do something with the ends so they don't fray?

Yes. Burn them with a lighter. Have a wet cloth in case you get out of control. I melt the ends and let them ball up a bit. It is fine to use the cloth to stop the process if it is at the point you want.

Ditch the brain off your pack.

I have a continuing dialog with my sister. It goes like this. "But wouldn't it be nice to have (insert heavy object) out there?" I answer, "It would be nicer to be lighter". The brain is one of those objects. Is it a need? Absolutely not. Is it a nice convenience? I am not even sure about that. If I have to take my pack off to get it, I can pull a draw string as easily as a unzipping a zipper. The brain just takes up room and weight. I don't have a bunch of things I need to fill another compartment with anyways. I have one ditty bag and it is a cuban fiber one this year. gif.014 gif.014 gif.014 gif.014
    • Re:Re: Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

BirdBrain wrote:

I have a continuing dialog with my sister. It goes like this. "But wouldn't it be nice to have (insert heavy object) out there?" I answer, "It would be nicer to be lighter". The brain is one of those objects. Is it a need? Absolutely not. Is it a nice convenience? I am not even sure about that. If I have to take my pack off to get it, I can pull a draw string as easily as a unzipping a zipper. The brain just takes up room and weight. I don't have a bunch of things I need to fill another compartment with anyways. I have one ditty bag and it is a cuban fiber one this year. gif.014 gif.014 gif.014 gif.014
      I for one cannot ditch the brain challenging enough being blonde and half polish
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I for one cannot ditch the brain challenging enough being blonde and half polish

Does that mean you have a shiny bald spot?

I am in a mood an should quit before I am too far behind. :silly:
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

I'd mostly be fine without the brain on a typical weekend backpack. I like having it for peak bagging. It lets me stash the pack somewhere and use the brain by itself as a summit pack with just the essentials. I often plan for that when I pack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Does that mean you have a shiny bald spot?

I am in a mood an should quit before I am too far behind. :silly:

From someone who took 'brain' literally, that was really funny. After reading AK's post,now I understand. The blonde thing I guess. :lol:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Musings & Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie

AnotherKevin wrote:

I'd mostly be fine without the brain on a typical weekend backpack. I like having it for peak bagging. It lets me stash the pack somewhere and use the brain by itself as a summit pack with just the essentials. I often plan for that when I pack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On our walk across Maine, we did every side trail to vistas and peaks within reason. We ditched the entire pack and just took water and a camera on many of them.

BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i don't think i can contribute much to this thread, but if anybody is looking for tips on how to carry more weight i'm your man.

Your opinions are as valid as anyone else's and maybe even superioron some points. Its all good.

nah, not when it comes to lightweight backpacking. i carry too much and what i carry weighs too much. but i've seen the light and am changing. i hope. i'm even replacing gear that doesn't need replacing.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i don't think i can contribute much to this thread, but if anybody is looking for tips on how to carry more weight i'm your man.

Your opinions are as valid as anyone else's and maybe even superioron some points. Its all good.

nah, not when it comes to lightweight backpacking. i carry too much and what i carry weighs too much. but i've seen the light and am changing. i hope. i'm even replacing gear that doesn't need replacing.

Max..it just scares me when we are on the same page on something :silly:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

[IMG:http://www.backpackerspantry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/102612-1.jpg]

well, you could carry one of these, but instead you carry the real deal at 10 times (or more) the weight.

i kinda think like that too.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

[IMG:http://www.backpackerspantry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/102612-1.jpg]

well, you could carry one of these, but instead you carry the real deal at 10 times (or more) the weight.

Some things should never be faked
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Toothbrush, floss, and paste.

Some people saw their brush up and drill holes in it. Some people pull floss off a reel and cut the end off as it is used. Some people make toothpaste dots by drying small balls of toothpaste on wax paper. How do I know this? I have done all these things.

This is what I do now:

I take a Colgate wisp and replace it at every resupply. These things weigh 2 grams each. It has a durable pick on the handle end that can be used in lieu of floss (like an interproximal pick). Instead of toothpaste I use baking soda. I wet the wisp brush and dip it into the baking soda. Whatever clings to the brush is enough to do the job. I store the baking soda in a pill sized Ziploc. Some say not to do this because the powder will gum up the zipper. I say be careful. Worked for me across Maine. The whole kit weighs less than an ounce.

BirdBrain wrote:

Some people saw their brush up and drill holes in it. Some people pull floss off a reel and cut the end off as it is used. Some people make toothpaste dots by drying small balls of toothpaste on wax paper. How do I know this? I have done all these things.

This is what I do now:

I take a Colgate wisp and replace it at every resupply. These things weigh 2 grams each. It has a durable pick on the handle end that can be used in lieu of floss (like an interproximal pick). Instead of toothpaste I use baking soda. I wet the wisp brush and dip it into the baking soda. Whatever clings to the brush is enough to do the job. I store the baking soda in a pill sized Ziploc. Some say not to do this because the powder will gum up the zipper. I say be careful. Worked for me across Maine. The whole kit weighs less than an ounce.

My former boss & roomate joked about watching me cutting up my toothbrush then kinda feeling the weight of it & how it worked & cutting more off of it. A small pack doesn't mean less comfort, just better selection of what is needed.

BirdBrain wrote:

This is what I do now:

Baking soda works well for toothpaste. When I was kid I can remember my mom having me use baking soda with a little salt in it to brush my teeth. I also had to wash my mouth out a few times with good ol' Ivory soap, but that's a different story.lol.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

This is what I do now:

Baking soda works well for toothpaste. When I was kid I can remember my mom having me use baking soda with a little salt in it to brush my teeth. I also had to wash my mouth out a few times with good ol' Ivory soap, but that's a different story.lol.

It also avoids the scent issues of many toothpastes. Make no mistake: It is a mistake to bring anything that smells like peppermint on the trail.

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/peppermintoilpintqualitylureandbaitingredient.aspx

The igniter weighs 14 grams. The lighter weighs 12 grams. I carry the heavier item because it is easier, safer and more reliable than the mini bic.

The bic can run out of fuel. The flint can go bad. You can burn yourself trying to light a stove. If you use one, light a piece of dryer lint (or some other small dry object you find on the trail) and light the stove with it.

I dip the igniter in the fuel in the stove, lift a 1/2" or so and ignite. No scrounging for a secondary object. No burn potential. No worries of empty bic.

Totally preference on my part... but my choice.

BirdBrain wrote:

The igniter weighs 14 grams. The lighter weighs 12 grams. I carry the heavier item because it is easier, safer and more reliable than the mini bic.

The bic can run out of fuel. The flint can go bad. You can burn yourself trying to light a stove. If you use one, light a piece of dryer lint (or some other small dry object you find on the trail) and light the stove with it.

I dip the igniter in the fuel in the stove, lift a 1/2" or so and ignite. No scrounging for a secondary object. No burn potential. No worries of empty bic.

Uh OK its your choice, with an all white Bic you can see the fuel level just hold it up to the light. The flint is over engineered for thousands of lights. If you burn yourself shame on you... light a twig then the stove. Lint sucks compared to pure cotton, or milk weed, or Pine nodules. or vertical dried grasses, Cat-tail or a pine fuzz stick with a good knife.

Yes Bic's can light after being soaked....

Why do you think they named me woo in the trail? No drama - just thinking outside the box.. Oh wait how much is a Bic? I have nothing against a Striker, I use one in Car Camp, with the Coleman Stove.

Are we having fun yet?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Coach Your must have passion is now in the bag... wow!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Coach Your must have passion is now in the bag... wow!

im sure it tastes just as good as freeze dried ice cream.
      its all good

WiseOldOwl wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Uh OK its your choice, with an all white Bic you can see the fuel level just hold it up to the light. The flint is over engineered for thousands of lights. If you burn yourself shame on you... light a twig then the stove. Lint sucks compared to pure cotton, or milk weed, or Pine nodules. or vertical dried grasses, Cat-tail or a pine fuzz stick with a good knife.

Why do you think they named me woo in the trail? No drama - just thinking outside the box.. Oh wait how much is a Bic? I have nothing against a Striker, I use one in Car Camp, with the Coleman Stove.

Are we having fun yet?

I fully expect to be in the minority on this one. I just prefer to eliminate variables wherever I can. Dry tinder is a variable. Fuel in bic is a variable. I feel the same way about batteries. There is nothing to run out of in an igniter. Again, I doubt I will convince many. But that is not what this thread is about. I hope to engage people and glean good ideas from them.

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Are we having fun yet?

I fully expect to be in the minority on this one. I just prefer to eliminate variables wherever I can. Dry tinder is a variable. Fuel in bic is a variable. I feel the same way about batteries. There is nothing to run out of in an igniter. Again, I doubt I will convince many. But that is not what this thread is about. I hope to engage people and glean good ideas from them.

as i smoke, i carry a bic lighter anyway, and i have a half dozen stormproof matches if the lighter should fail. the lighter has never failed.i used to carry one of those magnesium blocks, but i found it does a great job of dulling my knife blade and little else.as i use a canister stove(although your recent works of art are making me think twice about alcohol stoves) lighting with a lighter is without hazard.
      its all good

I could start another thread, but think this falls into the spirit of this one. Besides it might not get many responses and therefore would not be worthy of its own thread.

I used 550 paracord for my varmint deterrent food bag hang last year. I was happy with how it performed. It slid on the limbs fine and did not tangle easily. However, I am looking to make that item lighter and more compact this year.

For those that hang their food, what do you use for line and how does it compare to 550 paracord?

BirdBrain wrote:

I could start another thread, but think this falls into the spirit of this one. Besides it might not get many responses and therefore would not be worthy of its own thread.

I used 550 paracord for my varmint deterrent food bag hang last year. I was happy with how it performed. It slid on the limbs fine and did not tangle easily. However, I am looking to make that item lighter and more compact this year.

For those that hang their food, what do you use for line and how does it compare to 550 paracord?

I use the 1.44mm orange dyneema slick cord from Zpacks ..65 oz for 50ft 330 lb test. It slides over branches nicely. It is small and slick and could possibly cut into your hands if a little care is not exercised. I used to use the reflective glow cord but it does not and gets hung up easily. I stuck some 3m reflective tape on my food bag so i can find it on those mornings i start before sunrise .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I use the 1.44mm orange dyneema slick cord from Zpacks ..65 oz for 50ft 330 lb test. It slides over branches nicely. It is small and slick and could possibly cut into your hands if a little care is not exercised. I used to use the reflective glow cord but it does not and gets hung up easily. I stuck some 3m reflective tape on my food bag so i can find it on those mornings i start before sunrise .

Zingit and dynaglide as well as other light weight cordage used for shelter guy lines, or for food bags are also the same lines that arborists are using as throw lines. Good strong and light weight lines.

wesspur.com/throw-line/zing-it-throw-line.html