Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

When Kathy and I hiked Vermont we went to the peak of Mt. Killington. The ski lift was running, bringing down hill cyclists and their bikes to the top of the mountain. The cyclists had helmets, shoulder pads, chest protectors and more. Not something I'd want to do.
      Right now I'm killing time at Dunkin Donuts as I'm cycling to work today.
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

When Kathy and I hiked Vermont we went to the peak of Mt. Killington. The ski lift was running, bringing down hill cyclists and their bikes to the top of the mountain. The cyclists had helmets, shoulder pads, chest protectors and more. Not something I'd want to do.
      Sorta like football, if they have to put all those pads and special helmets on you, maybe you really shouldn't be doing it. :S
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Sorta like football, if they have to put all those pads and special helmets on you, maybe you really shouldn't be doing it. :S
      I wish I had a nickel for every article read that says hiking alone is dangerous, yet is oblivious to recreational activities that are an order of magnitude more so.
    • New

Glamping and mountain bike riding with my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and some other friends. We went for a night time ride after a few beers and rode one of the more challenging single tracks backwards- because we could and we knew no one else would be out there at night doing it. Saw a herd of 20+ deer. Great ride. Rode the same trail this morning in the correct direction. Getting my confidence and some air on the jumps.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

When I ride to and from work I wear a high vis orange tee shirt and a high vis yellow vest, with reflective stripes, over the shirt, all in hopes that drivers will see me and avoid hitting me. Yesterday while at work one of our avionics techs was telling me what happened when he was in the Marine Corp. Due to a high accident rate the Marines set a policy that any Marine driving a motorcycle had to wear a high visibility shirt, jacket, pants or vest, in hopes of reducing the number of injured Marines. After 18 months statistics showed that the accident rate went up and more Marines were injured than before they had policy. That kind of makes me wonder if I should just dress to blend into the surroundings. Any opinions?
    • New

my opinion, which most here will disagree with, is that bikes should not be ridden on roads that are used by cars for safety reasons even though they have every legal right to do so.

most automobile drivers are more interested in reading the text they just got on their phone than ensuring your safety. a 20 pound bike is not going to win a battle with a 2 ton car.

i live 3 miles from a paved rails to trails biking/walking trail which is the only place i use my road bike. i don't even ride my bike there from my house -- it's attached to my thule bike rack on the back of my car.
      2,000 miler