Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

As a driver, I too wish bikers would own the turn lanes. It doesn't really slow down traffic much as a bike can accelerate off the light nearly as fast as a car. It's better than when the bikers pretend to be pedestrians. I also wish they would use hand signals to indicate turning.
      I'm big on hand signals. Left turn, right turn and then there's that very special one finger one that I use when someone in a car gets too close or almost backs over me coming out their driveway.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

As a driver, I too wish bikers would own the turn lanes. It doesn't really slow down traffic much as a bike can accelerate off the light nearly as fast as a car. It's better than when the bikers pretend to be pedestrians. I also wish they would use hand signals to indicate turning.
      I'm big on hand signals. Left turn, right turn and then there's that very special one finger one that I use when someone in a car gets too close or almost backs over me coming out their driveway.
      finger.gif
    • For clarification, I don't think the majority of drivers in Southeastern Idaho are jerks and I detest some of my fellow cyclists. I think most people are legitimately ignorant to the rules of the road and a good many are distracted. It happens when I'm on foot and in my car too.

I almost hit a guy on a bike because he darted out in to the crosswalk as I was turning and he didn't have right of way. I was almost squished while on foot when I was in the middle of a crosswalk where I did have right of way because a lady was turning and didn't look up. By the time she did I was level with her door and a few inches from her car. She panic braked and her hands fles to her mouth as I gestured in an annoyed fashion for her to move since she was blocking all traffic at that point and I was still in the road.

I have almost been doored and almost doored people. I've been on a city bus when the driver pulled right out in front of a bike that was keeping up with traffic so doing at least 25-30 mph and the bus driver never saw her.

I hope that in time the greenbelt project here will be finished as that would alleviate some of the issues. However, that's a whole other set of issues with private property owners, in most cases rightly so not wanting to give up land for a trail system.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

...I almost hit a guy on a bike because he darted out in to the crosswalk as I was turning and he didn't have right of way....
      My daughter got pulled over by a cop about 30 seconds into her first session of driving with a learner's permit. He said she failed to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The "pedestrian" was a cyclist who was riding on the sidewalk and was half a block up the street when my daughter started her turn. The cyclist was going fast enough that he had to slow down slightly as he crossed the street to avoid hitting the side of our car. I asked the officer if cyclists were to be treated the same was cars. He said that every time there is a collision between cars, he needs to determine who was at fault. I asked if a car was driving down the sidewalk and collided with us, who would get the ticket. The officer didn't answer. I then asked if a cyclist is considered a pedestrian (I didn't get into the Latin origin of the word "pedestrian"). At this point the officer let us go with a "warning".
    • Ewok11. All of what you’ve described has happened to me...except I’ve never ‘almost doored’ anyone. I was 8 when riding in the street as the town had a strict policy on riding on the sidewalk when someone threw open a car door. My bike was totaled but it broke his car window. He moved the bike to the roadside, checked me for injury, and drove away. The police didn’t bother to report my family if he was charged.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

at stone mountain park in atlanta the speed limit is 25 mph. there are a couple good sized hills in the park. if ya speed ya get ticketed -- and that includes bicyclists. that's the only place i've personally seen a bicyclist ticketed for speeding.
      Bringing back memories of Breaking Away.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

at stone mountain park in atlanta the speed limit is 25 mph. there are a couple good sized hills in the park. if ya speed ya get ticketed -- and that includes bicyclists. that's the only place i've personally seen a bicyclist ticketed for speeding.
      I think I would be too afraid to ride a bike at Stone Mountain. The last time I was there, the people I was with were just sure they knew a back way to get there faster. They didn't. We ended up having to park in Stone Mountain Village and walk aaaaalllll the way to the park and then all the way to the hill. There are indeed some serious hills there. I have a friend who goes SUPing at the lake/pond all the time.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • While the bike shop rebuilds the rear wheel of my new bike, the Surly Disc Trucker, I've been using my Trek hybrid to commute on. It's a totally different ride, more up-right seating and so I think drivers can see me a little better. It's also a little slower, but going to work I leave myself plenty of time and coming home time isn't critical.

Soon I'll be changing the brake pads on Kathy's bike.
      I've never dealt with hydraulic, disc brakes on a bicycle.
      I've got new pads, with springs, and the proper bleeding kit so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
      Right now I'm not sure what I'll have to do to get the back wheel off as it has a NuVinci hub which has more than 1 cable going to it that will have to be disconnected
    • chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Does one have to bleed a hydraulic disk system when changing pads?
      nope, unless you screw up and open the pressure side. just think of them as tiny car brakes. there are about 8000 videos on youtube where a multitude of prissy bike mechanics tell us how to do it.
      Who knows, if you look hard enough you might even find one with a masculine mechanic. :D
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

nope, unless you screw up and open the pressure side. just think of them as tiny car brakes. there are about 8000 videos on youtube where a multitude of prissy bike mechanics tell us how to do it.
      Who knows, if you look hard enough you might even find one with a masculine mechanic. :D
      I did see one, trying way too hard to look macho. Alas he failed! His tiny little screw driver gave it away.
    • chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

A rhetorical question as a bleeding kit was mentioned.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

damn, I must have missed the inflection in you voice.
    • Dan76 wrote:

chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I got the bleeding kit just in case I screw up and do something stupid.
      I've been known to do that from time to time.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I got the bleeding kit just in case I screw up and do something stupid.I've been known to do that from time to time.
      But since you got it, I am sure everything will go fine. ;)
    • Now that day time temps are in the 90s it's making bike commuting tough.
      The morning isn't much of a problem as I'm leaving home earlier to ride in lower temperatures.
      After a full day of work with temperatures in the 90s it's tough to throw my leg over the bike and ride home in the high 80s or the 90s.
    • Since the heat of summer has set in, commuting by bicycle has become a real love hate thing.
      In the morning, going to work, isn't bad because it's not too hot yet. This morning it was 67 when I left the house.
      Riding home, with temps in the high 80s, low 90s , it's no fun, after doing physical work all day in the heat.
      I'll keep it up, doing 2 days a week.
    • I went for a 26 mile ride this morning with the local bicycle club.
      I had no problem keeping up with the slow group that they have.
      The turn around point was at a bakery a couple of towns over, where we took a break.
      It was hard, but all I bought was a cup of coffee.
      I think I might join them a couple times a month.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I went for a 26 mile ride this morning with the local bicycle club.
      The turn around point was at a bakery a couple of towns over, where we took a break.
      Denying myself fresh bread and pastries, now that would be hard. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Denying myself fresh bread and pastries, now that would be hard. :)
      It was hard.
      I think I was the only one who didn't get something to much on.
      But I can tell you that their coffee was excellent and cheaper than Dunkin Donuts
      Too bad the bakery isn't in a place that my usual routines take me.
    • When we were in Glacier NP earlier this month we saw a lot of biking groups. There was one company in particular that had lots of vans with roof racks full of bikes shuttling riders to one place or another for the day's ride. We passed a lot of them on the roads. Driving up do Logan Pass on the Going To The Sun Road would be a real kick in the butt, but I guess that's what bikers do.
    • odd man out wrote:

When we were in Glacier NP earlier this month we saw a lot of biking groups. There was one company in particular that had lots of vans with roof racks full of bikes shuttling riders to one place or another for the day's ride. We passed a lot of them on the roads. Driving up do Logan Pass on the Going To The Sun Road would be a real kick in the butt, but I guess that's what bikers do.
      Yeah, but I'm sure the downhils are a thrill. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

That’s awesome. It’s difficult for me to find a group I can hang with. Here, everyone who rides on the roads are fast(er). I’m considered very slow. The slowest groups are 15-17 mph, I’m 13-14.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That’s awesome. It’s difficult for me to find a group I can hang with. Here, everyone who rides on the roads are fast(er). I’m considered very slow. The slowest groups are 15-17 mph, I’m 13-14.
      Hey that is still 13-14 mph faster than some of us. :)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I think my speed is about 10 mph avg on my comfort/hybrid bike.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

The Huntington Bicycle club has A, B, C and EZ groups.
      I rode with the EZ as I haven't ridden with the club in something like 30 years.
      We Averaged 13 even though C is supposed to be 11-12. EZ should be less than that.
      Next time maybe I'll try C since they don't often have EZ. It'll depend on the distances.
    • During yesterday's ride home from work I really noticed how it's getting dark earlier.
      By the time I got home I had 3 of my 4 bicycle lights turned on.
      The headlight was set to flash, as was one taillight. Another taillight was set for steady illumination. The third taillight was off but it also is a reflector as well as a light.
    • max.patch wrote:

today i learned...on a good day i might be considered a slow biker. maybe.
      I can relate. I will probably be sticking to the stationary bike. I guess the downside is that the scenery doesn't change, unless you count the TV screen. The upside is that you don't have to worry about someone running you over.
    • Yesterday on Long Island it was clear blue sky, warm but not hot, kind of day,
      In the afternoon I went out on the new bicycle and did the longest ride to date.
      While I don't have a bike computer, or smart phone, to actually measure distance I'm estimating the ride to have have been in the neighborhood of 25 miles. It was mostly on roads with a low traffic count so I actually got to enjoy the ride. It's not hiking, but at least I got to enjoy the outdoors.
    • I rode my bicycle to work yesterday for the first time in a month.
      I had hurt my leg at work and had to wait for it to heal, so I wasn't riding.
      It was 36 degrees when I left the house but I was spot on with how I dressed.
      The only part of me that was cold were my ear lobes.
      During the ride home I had a verbal altercation with a young car driver who was sure I should be riding on the side walk.
      The exchange involved a lot of him sounding his car horn, yelling out his window, and him cursing and swearing at me, while I tried to explain the Department of Motor Vehicle code for bicycles, in an equally loud and obnoxious manner.
      He just doesn't know how much he doesn't know.!