Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I could write a short book about my bike-hikes. Covered lots of the AT in New England that way. Really it comes down to using a bicycle instead of a shuttle. Being unemployed (semi retired??) at the moment, I've been getting lots of bike miles in. Typical daily ride is about 15 miles.
    • rafe wrote:

I could write a short book about my bike-hikes. Covered lots of the AT in New England that way. Really it comes down to using a bicycle instead of a shuttle. Being unemployed (semi retired??) at the moment, I've been getting lots of bike miles in. Typical daily ride is about 15 miles.

Write your book here, I want to read all about it. I love talking about cycling!
      I don't bike hike...I have a racing bike...but sometimes I bike from Walland, TN to the Smokies. Otherwise, I bike in the countryside all around East Tennessee.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Write your book here, I want to read all about it. I love talking about cycling!
      I don't bike hike...I have a racing bike...but sometimes I bike from Walland, TN to the Smokies. Otherwise, I bike in the countryside all around East Tennessee.

I'd have to use a lot of big fancy words to make a book out of it. I'm pretty lame as a bicyclist, the bike I ride is a 15 year old Novarra hybrid, but it's been utterly reliable.

The bike-hike thing began for me in the late 1990s as a way to hike the Maine AT in sections, without a shuttle service or a second car or hitch-hiking. As of this date I've used it for about eight or ten short sections (typically 12-35 miles) on the AT and LT. About 200 miles total trail-distance covered this way.

The basic idea is: bicycle over roads in one direction (between two trailheads) and hike back in the other direction. You can do the bike part before the hike, or after. So typically it goes like this -- let's say for a bike hike between Gorham and Grafton Notch:

1. Drive to Gorham and drop the pack off in the woods near the trailhead.
      2. Continue by car to Grafton Notch. Park at the trailhead.
      3. Ride bicycle back to Gorham trailhead. Stash the bike in the woods, maybe locked to a tree.
      4. Hike back to the car. However long it takes.
      5. Remember to pick up the bike (now parked in Gorham!) on the way home.

Minor complications... a small day pack to wear during the bike ride, for a bit of food, water, maybe some rain gear. The day-pack, along with helmet, bike gloves (etc.) will be stashed next to the bike, or in the bike rack.

I've worried a bit about "abandoning" the main pack in the woods for the duration of steps 2 and 3, but that's usually just a few hours. It hasn't been an issue, maybe I've just been lucky.

Variations... you could drop off the bike first, then hike back to the bike, then bike back to the car. (And don't forget to pick up the pack on the way home.)

Sometimes I lock up the bike (step 3) and sometimes I don't bother -- I just walk it into the woods and find a spot to to hide it, out of view from the trail. Just remember where you put it.

It helps if you know a bit about the road terrain beforehand -- you might want to choose the direction of the bike ride so as to minimize climbing. Eg. in this case, biking from Gorham to Grafton Notch would have been a PITA -- the last 12 miles or so being all uphill.

Since I'm biking on country roads, there may (or may not) be places to stop for refreshment. I've only had to resort to logging roads on one occasion, between Lyme and Glencliff NH. Obviously a good road map is useful on the bike ride, but you've probably already covered that ground in step 2.

I average about 13 mph on a bike. Road distance is usually comparable to trail distance. The Gorham-Grafton Notch hike is about 35 miles, and the biking distance is about the same. Given my 13 mph rate, I allowed about 3 hours. That still left a decent chunk of the day for hiking.
    • I finally got back on my bike a few weeks ago and I'm doing about 12 miles at a time several days a week. I'm glad I found this thread ... what a great way to get some hiking miles in by "shuttling" myself!!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • I guess I should write a report or post here or in 'Short walks......'

Last Friday i ran down to RPH shelter, Crashed in the Fish car. I locked my mtn. bike to a tree and then drove down to Dennytown Road, and started walking north. Nice rolling trail. I stopped at the Grill at Fahnestock State Park, really didn't need the fried chicken patty, but the fries were good, and I had an ice cream sandwich. Another rest at the Flag on Shenandoah Mtn. and then cruise into RPH. I thru the hooch up and made the freezer bag stew. Mint/chocolate coffee and a fine Cohiba. Life is indeed good............until morning.
      Before I started walking I reconned a route back to the car by bike. The shortway of course, did not pan out. Hortontown Road (from RPH) does not cross The Taconic Parkway, it is divided by it. So I discovery Miller Hill road. That is that northbound hill as you leave RPH. The trail passes under the Taconic Prkwy, and climbs Hosner Mtn. Miller hill continues up the road, at that same pitch, for about .8. You bikers know cycling is cadence and breathing...............not at 0730........fresh out of the rack! I being the wise old outdoorsman that I am....walked my bike up the hill. And wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way down about 2 miles to route 301. Awesome, except at mile 3 it started to pour......not rain........pour! Folks were waving at the goofy old guy standing under a small tree in the rain. It finally slowed enough to ride again and I made it back to the fish car and then back to my pack which was half under the rafters and half not. so it was half wet. All and all another nice short walk with Lou. i have done this about a dozen times and it is cool and i only have to rely on me. I plan to do the remainder of Ny/ Nj this way. pics are in my gallery.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I finally got back on my bike a few weeks ago and I'm doing about 12 miles at a time several days a week. I'm glad I found this thread ... what a great way to get some hiking miles in by "shuttling" myself!!

thats great! I remember you saying you had a new bike and didn't know how to change gears.

I finally just went out and played around with the gears. Some of the members of the women's hiking group I belong to told me to keep the left in 2nd gear and play around with the right. It worked :)
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I know a few people who use this app but I was turned off by the competitive aspect so have never tried it. Using it for urban planning is pretty cool but it also seems big brotherish.

That is the thing with technology, is value neutral, but is can be used for for neat stuff, or it can be misused by the wrong people for the wrong thing also.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

commute to work in the rain...i think this is right up TJ's alley...

dryve.ch/

[IMG:http://www.dryve.ch/bundles/allnewwebsite/img/headers/header3.jpg]

That's pretty neat, bet there's a lot of drag tho, I'd settle for having fenders on mine to keep the tires from slinging water and mud in my face and on my back.

Too fiddly for me :). I only see this working in drizzly weather, not a windy downpour.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Does anyone bicycle through the winter? Last year I stopped commuting on Halloween because I wrecked and had to have my bike repaired. This year I hope to make it through November. I'm good down to 35* or so.

I ride year round. I've been known to ride while it's snowing. I just can't stay inside all winter. I day hike in the SNP all winter too, it makes for some cool pictures when the springs and creeks freeze.
      Images
      • Dec 25 2013 007.jpg

1.35 MB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 397 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Does anyone bicycle through the winter? Last year I stopped commuting on Halloween because I wrecked and had to have my bike repaired. This year I hope to make it through November. I'm good down to 35* or so.

I ride year round. I've been known to ride while it's snowing. I just can't stay inside all winter. I day hike in the SNP all winter too, it makes for some cool pictures when the springs and creeks freeze.

I try to ride year round most of which on the Va. Creeper trail between Abingdon, Damascus, and whitetop, I will offer a word of caution, beware of wooden bridges during the wintertime =O Past winter crossing the first bridge, hit Ice, bent rim, handlebars, chainrail,...and pride :) It was not pretty...
    • July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I try to ride year round most of which on the Va. Creeper trail between Abingdon, Damascus, and whitetop, I will offer a word of caution, beware of wooden bridges during the wintertime =O Past winter crossing the first bridge, hit Ice, bent rim, handlebars, chainrail,...and pride :) It was not pretty...

I was really glad no one saw me wreck last year. :)
      JJ, I hiked all last winter and was surprised at how fun it was. As long as I kept moving, I didn't get cold...in fact I had to be careful to not overheat. I could probably ride through winter if I invested in warmer clothes...I'll have to work on that. A long time ago a German friend said, "There is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing." For the most part she was right.
    • July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Beware of wooden bridges if your hiking...busted my a** going down the steps of a suspension bridge on the Foothills Trail, they were like ice, bent a hiking pole, I just bounced down them one step at a time on my a**, hurt more than my pride.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JJ, I hiked all last winter and was surprised at how fun it was. As long as I kept moving, I didn't get cold...in fact I had to be careful to not overheat. I could probably ride through winter if I invested in warmer clothes...I'll have to work on that. A long time ago a German friend said, "There is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing." For the most part she was right.

I used to be that way, now, if I'm going to suffer I hope someone at least sees it to get a laugh, hopefully get a photo so I can laugh at it when the pain stops.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I used to be that way, now, if I'm going to suffer I hope someone at least sees it to get a laugh, hopefully get a photo so I can laugh at it when the pain stops.

Thats right Drybones, was riding thru town bout a year ago, going through a main intersection with traffic lined up in all directions. My front tire caught the rolled edge of a sidewalk and, PRESTO, I was on the ground in a split second. As I picked myself up, all eyes were on me :) , so I shook it out, slight bow, and mounted back up. I think we all had a good laugh :D
    • July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sliding on the ice on a bike sucks. The rear tire tries to catch up to the front tire.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sliding on the ice on a bike sucks. The rear tire tries to catch up to the front tire.

After being on the trail for awhile and coming into a town/hostel with bicycles, I feel like I am ridin' a sportscar, hair in the wind... and covering ground fast :D
    • My wife generally rides her bike to work, and home, for her afternoon runs (she drives a school bus).
      Usually when there's snow on the ground she walks afternoon as well as morning. We've been talking about her having a set of wheels with studded snow tires for use when there's snow and ice on the ground. Schwalbe is a maker of quality bicycle tires and they have ones with the snow studs. What's really needed is micro-spikes for bikes. The idea isn't as crazy as it sounds, I may have to do some thinking on that.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I prefer road rash. You gotta have something to show for the pain and humiliation of wrecking your bike.
    • LIhikers wrote:

My wife generally rides her bike to work, and home, for her afternoon runs (she drives a school bus).
      Usually when there's snow on the ground she walks afternoon as well as morning. We've been talking about her having a set of wheels with studded snow tires for use when there's snow and ice on the ground. Schwalbe is a maker of quality bicycle tires and they have ones with the snow studs. What's really needed is micro-spikes for bikes. The idea isn't as crazy as it sounds, I may have to do some thinking on that.

I'm going to start looking for a used hybrid or mountain bike to use for winter biking and bikepacking. Do ya'll have a way to track commuting miles? I use Smart Trips. It calculates calories burned, money saved on gas, etc. After so many commutes, you earn gift cards, etc.
    • July wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Thats right Drybones, was riding thru town bout a year ago, going through a main intersection with traffic lined up in all directions. My front tire caught the rolled edge of a sidewalk and, PRESTO, I was on the ground in a split second. As I picked myself up, all eyes were on me :) , so I shook it out, slight bow, and mounted back up. I think we all had a good laugh :D

The wife and I were riding in the mts in NY, I was going downhill and approaching a shallow stream with about a 10-12 inch drop into the water, slowed down and let the front wheel drop into the water, rear wheel came up and for what must have been 10 seconds I was balancing on the front wheel trying not to go over...didn't work...took a swim...wish I had a video, we still laugh at that one.