Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Me and Kathy used our bicycles to fool a bunch of traffic yesterday.
      We went to our nephew's high school graduation yesterday. We knew that the streets and roads around the school would be packed with traffic.
      We were able to ride through the bumper to bumper traffic jams because we were on our bicycles. Now how cool is that?
      Kinda like splitting lanes on a motorcycle, but not exactly the same.
    • No animosity, just complete lack of interest. My youngest kid played four seasons in the local rec league and I went to every game when I wasn't working. Never got the soccer bug. You'd never have known it seeing me in the stands though, cheering for my kid's team.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Always thought soccer was really boring, even when my oldest two children played. Then when my two youngest children played it was a lot more interesting. Youngest once scored 10 goals in 10 minutes.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I wanted my youngest to be a cute ballerina. She hated ballet. The last time I took her, she refused to change and go into the studio. I left crying. I finally asked her what she wanted to do and she said soccer. She played for 10 yrs and was goal keeper for 5. She only quit because she loved band more and didn't have time for both.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Astro wrote:

Always thought soccer was really boring, even when my oldest two children played. Then when my two youngest children played it was a lot more interesting. Youngest once scored 10 goals in 10 minutes.

I love to play all sports but watching any of them is pretty boring, I have been know to turn a baseball game on and lay down on the couch...it's like a sedative, puts me right out.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I came home from work one day and my daughter was laying on the couch with a towel over her head, knew something was up when the wife says "It's not as bad as it looks", she pulled the towel off and it looked like she had two heads...her and one of the boys had a crash, was nothing serious, just a lot of fluid but it looked pretty nasty.
    • TJ good on you for letting her quit when she wanted to. I can't stand parents who force ANY activity on their kids, be it sports or anything else. My oldest son wrestled in high school and there was a kid who had no more business on a wrestling mat than I have running a nuclear power plant. His dad, who you could just tell had been a mediocre wrestler at best, was living vicariously. So sad. You could tell the kid hated every second.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Same story with my son. I wanted him to play soccer. He would stand on the field and not pay attention and got mowed down several times. One time he yelled from the field, "I HATE SOCCER". He wanted to play football so I let him, and he played for 10 years also.

It took a few times for me to learn the lesson.
    • Grinder wrote:

TJ good on you for letting her quit when she wanted to. I can't stand parents who force ANY activity on their kids, be it sports or anything else. My oldest son wrestled in high school and there was a kid who had no more business on a wrestling mat than I have running a nuclear power plant. His dad, who you could just tell had been a mediocre wrestler at best, was living vicariously. So sad. You could tell the kid hated every second.

I've witnesses the same, two sisters my daughter went to high school with were outstanding athletes but the dad drove them so hard one just quit and the other seemed to lose interest. Like TJ, we had our daughter try the ballet thing but didn't take long to find out sports were her thing.
    • I loved baseball but the oldest of my three sons didn't really care about it, never wanted to practice at home, and was really just there for the free snow cone after the game. I told my wife we can buy him a snow cone when we are his brother's games and we let him focus on Scouts and church Youth Group stuff after that.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Le Tour De France starts soon. Does anyone else watch?

I was watching when crash #2 happened, scary stuff.

I used to watch it religiously when I worked at the bike shop for Trek. I got to ride one of Lance's teammates bike that was in the Tour one time. Hardest bike I ever rode in my life. Got it up to 38mph for about 30 seconds and that was it. Super nice bike but a killer to ride.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

He would stand on the field and not pay attention

Hehehe. There was a girl on my son's soccer team who had no more interest in soccer than flying to Jupiter--probably less, actually. Anyway, at one away game the soccer field was bordered by a horse pasture. The horses were over near the fence close to the field, and next thing you know, there went Summer right off the field, over to pet the horses. The coach was hollering to get her attention. Her father was screaming blue bloody murder. Hilarious.
    • Soccer is in all honesty not the most invigorating sport to watch. I just have an extreme appreciation for the stamina, flexibility and athleticism of it all. I could do without the unnecessary diving, bad acting and whining. Those few seconds out of the 90 minutes of boring make it exciting.

I wanted to play football when I was in elementary school and my parents (possibly rightfully so) wouldn't let me because I was a girl and they were afraid of the damage the full contact might do long term. A couple of years later my sister started playing soccer. She still has nerve damage in her shin from being unlucky enough to get cleat spikes under her shin guard. During one game, she got flipped head over heels and landed on her back. I glared at my parents with righteous indignation that day.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hey does tailgating count as a sport? I love tailgating and I've seen some people do some pretty interesting things while tailgating, some of them start like this " Hey ya'll watch this...." lol

Now that's funny. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My youngest son played soccer for about 7 years. He was an excellent goal keeper and a lot of local teams wanted him to play for them. Then 1 year, mid-season, he told me he didn't want to play any more. I said "that's fine" but asked him to finish the season so not to let down his team mates. He agreed and he stopped playing at the end of that season.
    • LIhikers wrote:

My youngest son played soccer for about 7 years. He was an excellent goal keeper and a lot of local teams wanted him to play for them. Then 1 year, mid-season, he told me he didn't want to play any more. I said "that's fine" but asked him to finish the season so not to let down his team mates. He agreed and he stopped playing at the end of that season.

That was always my rule. If they started the season, they finished the season.
    • I had a great bike ride today to celebrate the opening day of the TDF. There were about 400 cyclists and it was a blast.

The three ladies in the middle picture are some of my biking buddies. They are awesome.
      Images
      • image.jpg

1.65 MB, 3,264×1,462, viewed 436 times
      • image.jpg

847.8 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 403 times
      • image.jpg

963.33 kB, 1,602×1,816, viewed 416 times
    • I don't like to ride with crowds.
      Kathy and I rode Bike New York once, I'll never do it again.
      There where so many riders who didn't know what they were doing that there were numerous crashes. So many that there were EMTs, on bikes, mixed into the crowd to help the crashees. (Is that a real word?)
    • On another note, we did get out on our bikes today for about 3 hours.
      We rode over to the next town by a very round about way to have lunch.
      Then rode home. The weather was glorious, sunny, with blue skies, a gentle wind, and an almost perfect temperature.
      It was a day to enjoy, and we did.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I don't like to ride with crowds.
      Kathy and I rode Bike New York once, I'll never do it again.
      There where so many riders who didn't know what they were doing that there were numerous crashes. So many that there were EMTs, on bikes, mixed into the crowd to help the crashees. (Is that a real word?)

Fortunately, the majority of riders were experienced. I rode with my friend and we only encountered one group that scared us. It was a group of six who were all over the road. We had to pass on the right and weave between them. There were different length/route options so the pack thinned out after a mile. It wasn't crowded after that.

The dogs were more dangerous than the other riders. I was riding behind my friend and we passed a dog who didn't bother her but came after me. Right after we passed him, he attacked a man and woman and they collided and crashed. She injured her knee and he got a possible concussion...his helmet was cracked. It was unfortunate for them and the dog. The dog got maced and picked up by animal control.