Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Hiking & Biking

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

My son is best man......there WILL be scantily clad young ladies. :)

Have fun, but not too much fun. And tip generously!!!!

Always.................................but I live 35 miles from the Hall.

I will go out shortly on my Mtn bike...........it looks like a great day ahead, here in New England.

I'm headed out soon myself, it's 74! Be safe.
      Lost in the right direction.

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

My son is best man......there WILL be scantily clad young ladies. :)

Have fun, but not too much fun. And tip generously!!!!

Always.................................but I live 35 miles from the Hall.

I will go out shortly on my Mtn bike...........it looks like a great day ahead, here in New England.

....stupid Tapatalk :)
    • Hiking & Biking

stoviewander wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Beautiful day here on Long Island and I finally got my bicycle out of the basement for the first ride of the year. I needed to mail some stuff so I rode over to the Post Office, maybe a mile and a half. After that I wandered around this part of town for 6 or 7 miles with one steep hill. It was too steep to ride straight up so I rode back and forth, from side to side as I went up. Kinda like hiking switchbacks instead of going straight up a mountain. I had a lot of fun, but I can tell that I'm gonna be feeling it in my legs tomorrow.

I have not done that since I had a bicycle with 20" wheels and no gears. Let me guess - you have a road bike and no granny gear chain ring. Am I right?

Nope, I'm just THAT out of shape. I was riding my hybrid with triple chain rings and 700C x 32 tires. I don't know the gearing in gear inches but it's kinda low. The hill was about a 1/4 mile long and about a 45 degree angle where I was doing the switchbacks.

LIhikers wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Beautiful day here on Long Island and I finally got my bicycle out of the basement for the first ride of the year. I needed to mail some stuff so I rode over to the Post Office, maybe a mile and a half. After that I wandered around this part of town for 6 or 7 miles with one steep hill. It was too steep to ride straight up so I rode back and forth, from side to side as I went up. Kinda like hiking switchbacks instead of going straight up a mountain. I had a lot of fun, but I can tell that I'm gonna be feeling it in my legs tomorrow.

I have not done that since I had a bicycle with 20" wheels and no gears. Let me guess - you have a road bike and no granny gear chain ring. Am I right?

Nope, I'm just THAT out of shape. I was riding my hybrid with triple chain rings and 700C x 32 tires. I don't know the gearing in gear inches but it's kinda low. The hill was about a 1/4 mile long and about a 45 degree angle where I was doing the switchbacks.

When I have to do the snaking thing, I can't stay in one lane. I'm always afraid I'll get hit by a car coming over the hill.
    • Hiking & Biking

Years ago I used to commute to work by bicycle. On the way to work one morning I got hit by a car and went down hard on the road. The driver casually got out of the car, with morning coffee in one hand, looked down at me, and asked "you OK?" If I hadn't been sprawled out on the road, with my legs tangled in the frame, I would have jumped up and strangled the life out of the guy. He was nice enough to call an ambulance and wait for the police but acted like it was no big deal. While I was sore for a few days I didn't have any real problems. At least I got a new bicycle out of the deal. I figure, having been hit already, statistically the chance of it happening again are pretty low.
    • Hiking & Biking

LIhikers wrote:

Years ago I used to commute to work by bicycle. On the way to work one morning I got hit by a car and went down hard on the road. The driver casually got out of the car, with morning coffee in one hand, looked down at me, and asked "you OK?" If I hadn't been sprawled out on the road, with my legs tangled in the frame, I would have jumped up and strangled the life out of the guy. He was nice enough to call an ambulance and wait for the police but acted like it was no big deal. While I was sore for a few days I didn't have any real problems. At least I got a new bicycle out of the deal. I figure, having been hit already, statistically the chance of it happening again are pretty low.

That's a great story. Hopefully you've paid your dues.
      I passed up an amazing bike ride with friends today because I couldn't get out of bed at 4:30. I decided to ride at 11, went to air my tires, and broke the valve stem on one of my tubes. I've changed many tubes but the bead on this tire is so tight, I can't get it back on the wheel. Today has been a bust. :(
    • Hiking & Biking

The video reminds me of something I once saw. Years ago, while driving on 7 Lakes Drive in Harriman, I witnessed a large deer come bounding out of the woods and run into a slow moving motorcycle. It knocked the motor bike over but the guy and girl, while bloody and bruised, were not seriously hurt. More stunned than anything else. The collision didn't even seem to slow the deer down as it kept going without losing a step.
    • Hiking & Biking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgAMkMmsfg

be safe out there...

1963 Bicycle Safety Film entitled "One Got Fat".
      A group of monkey-masked kids decide to ride their bikes to the park for a picnic. Along the way, one by one, the kids are knocked out of the ride due to careless or unsafe riding.
      Narration by Edward Everett Horton of "Fractured Fairytales" (Old Rocky and Bullwinkle) fame.
      2,000 miler
    • Hiking & Biking

max.patch wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgAMkMmsfg

be safe out there...

1963 Bicycle Safety Film entitled "One Got Fat".
      A group of monkey-masked kids decide to ride their bikes to the park for a picnic. Along the way, one by one, the kids are knocked out of the ride due to careless or unsafe riding.
      Narration by Edward Everett Horton of "Fractured Fairytales" (Old Rocky and Bullwinkle) fame.

Priceless. Where do you come up with this stuff, MP?
    • Hiking & Biking

http://www.bikekatytrail.com/katy-trail-map.aspx

For those in the Midwest, try biking/camping the Katy Trail. It's a 250+ mile rail to trail across central Missouri.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Hiking & Biking

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

For those in the Midwest, try biking/camping the Katy Trail. It's a 250+ mile rail to trail across central Missouri.

One more thing to add to my bucket list. I really want to ride the Erie Canal Path.

So many trails, so little time................

Now that is The Truth.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

One more thing to add to my bucket list. I really want to ride the Erie Canal Path.

Get in touch when you do! I'm not a bikie at the moment... but I live right off the path. My walk to work goes right along it.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Hiking & Biking

I finally busted my bike out for the first time this season, yesterday. I rode a little yesterday and a little today, just around my neighborhood. It was too nice to sit inside and I'm too poor to go anywhere else. Grand total I probably only put in 10 miles but cripes am I out of bicycling shape from taking more than a few months off. :blink:
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Hiking & Biking

Ewok11 wrote:

I finally busted my bike out for the first time this season, yesterday. I rode a little yesterday and a little today, just around my neighborhood. It was too nice to sit inside and I'm too poor to go anywhere else. Grand total I probably only put in 10 miles but cripes am I out of bicycling shape from taking more than a few months off. :blink:

Good job Ewok, it'll come back if you just keep riding. The first ride of the season is the toughest. Only 10 miles? Girl, that's awesome. When I first started riding, I could barely go a mile and had to push my bike up every hill. :lol:
    • Hiking & Biking

TrafficJam wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Good job Ewok, it'll come back if you just keep riding. The first ride of the season is the toughest. Only 10 miles? Girl, that's awesome. When I first started riding, I could barely go a mile and had to push my bike up every hill. :lol:

Yeah, I live with a superhuman species. My husband doesn't understand anything less than exhaustion. My 100% effort is a leisurely pace for him. It's both extremely attractive and maddeningly frustrating. I have to remind him frequently that I'm just a mere mortal.

We have a trainer bike set up inside, so I have put in lots of miles on it but it's still no comparison to being outside.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Hiking & Biking

weather permitting, i'm going to mountain bike wednesday on an easy trail at red top mountain state park. free parking at ga state parks on wednesday.

my road bike now only gets ridden on no cars permitted bike paths. i understand that i have every legal right to ride on the road. i prefer to die from natural causes if at all possible.
      2,000 miler
    • Hiking & Biking

max.patch wrote:

weather permitting, i'm going to mountain bike wednesday on an easy trail at red top mountain state park. free parking at ga state parks on wednesday.

my road bike now only gets ridden on no cars permitted bike paths. i understand that i have every legal right to ride on the road. i prefer to die from natural causes if at all possible.

Have fun on your bike. I'd like to get a mountain bike and do some off-road riding. In Big South Fork State Park, there are some great trails for bikepacking.
    • Hiking & Biking

Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TJ....could you tell by his accent............his is pretty thick!

The voice recognition phone systems don't work for me, all I get is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that"...don't even try any more, just punch in the numbers, same with the Blue Tooth in my truck.

They need to offer a Southern version. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Hiking & Biking

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TJ....could you tell by his accent............his is pretty thick!

The voice recognition phone systems don't work for me, all I get is "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that"...don't even try any more, just punch in the numbers, same with the Blue Tooth in my truck.

They need to offer a Southern version. :)

I thought it already was, hence Blue Tooth, not Teeth.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I was riding to work the other day and noticed something felt odd. I forgot to put my helmet on so had to turn around and go back home. Then I had to pedal my ass off so I wasn't late for work :D .

That reminded me of something my daughter once said...she was 14 or 15. She and I were car camping and were going to ride to the camp store. I said, "We don't need our helmets, we're just going to the store." She said, "OH! I'm wearing mine...I've got a lot of living to do!" From the mouths of babes... :) I've always worn my helmet since.