Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Looking forward to the ESPN series on Lance Armstrong that starts tonight.

He fooled a lotta people. Including me. :(
      He was not unique in his use of performance enhancing drugs in the cycling world but he took the brunt of media scrutiny because he so vehemently denied it. His mistake was not admitting his wrong doing and taking his punishment.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Looking forward to the ESPN series on Lance Armstrong that starts tonight.

He fooled a lotta people. Including me. :(
      He was not unique in his use of performance enhancing drugs in the cycling world but he took the brunt of media scrutiny because he so vehemently denied it. His mistake was not admitting his wrong doing and taking his punishment.
      Dumping his wife and 3 small children did not help his image either.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • ebike update: I'm loving it! Went to Pocohontas State Park Saturday and met up with my hiking buddy Slingshot. Pocohontas has over 70 miles of forest roads and MTB trails. I rode about 25 miles, mostly on the forest roads, and probably never stopped smiling. It was fun passing people uphill on the forest roads and seeing the "what the heck was that?" look.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

ebike update: I'm loving it! Went to Pocohontas State Park Saturday and met up with my hiking buddy Slingshot. Pocohontas has over 70 miles of forest roads and MTB trails. I rode about 25 miles, mostly on the forest roads, and probably never stopped smiling. It was fun passing people uphill on the forest roads and seeing the "what the heck was that?" look.

JJ, were you able to get 25 miles on a single charge?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • jimmyjam wrote:

ebike update: I'm loving it! Went to Pocohontas State Park Saturday and met up with my hiking buddy Slingshot. Pocohontas has over 70 miles of forest roads and MTB trails. I rode about 25 miles, mostly on the forest roads, and probably never stopped smiling. It was fun passing people uphill on the forest roads and seeing the "what the heck was that?" look.

It sounds like you had a good time, and that's what counts. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new bike. I have a feeling that your not so old mountain bike is going to be collecting a lot of dust.
    • IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

JJ, were you able to get 25 miles on a single charge?
      Yes, and I still had over half a tank. I was in PA 1&2 most the time and some 3
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I finished the last 12 or so miles of the Capital Trail on Saturday. I parked at Jamestown and rode west to Charles City. Not much history in this section other than Jamestown itself. Did this section on the ebike and really enjoyed the ride.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

is that a Rail Trail ?
      The Capital Trail? No, it's not. Bikers have pedaled Route 5 from Richmond to Jamestown and Williamsburg for decades. It's a relatively flat two lane road that gently twists thru tree canopy or fields. Many cyclists hit by cars over the years so they decided to build a paved bike trail parallel to the road. It's a fantastic ride.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Rode my daughter’s hybrid today, 12 miles on the greenway. The weather was gorgeous, low 70’s, and I had a lot of fun.

I’ve been riding that bike quite a bit but can’t get used to the dang gears...the levers on the right work the opposite as the levers on the left and my brain can’t get it right, especially when having to make a quick adjustment on a hill. Twice, I screwed it up and had to jump off and walk up the hill. Oh well.

Capped off the beautiful day relaxing in my hammock, knitting and sipping a small glass of bourbon.

:)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Rode my daughter’s hybrid today, 12 miles on the greenway. The weather was gorgeous, low 70’s, and I had a lot of fun.

I’ve been riding that bike quite a bit but can’t get used to the dang gears...the levers on the right work the opposite as the levers on the left and my brain can’t get it right, especially when having to make a quick adjustment on a hill. Twice, I screwed it up and had to jump off and walk up the hill. Oh well.

Capped off the beautiful day relaxing in my hammock, knitting and sipping a small glass of bourbon.

When I learned to drive I had a similar issue. Our riding lawn mower did not have a gas pedal, and you just pushed your right foot down on the brake to stop. Well when learning to drive pushing my right down just accelerated instead of stopping. Had to learn pretty quick to move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake. :S
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Rode my daughter’s hybrid today, 12 miles on the greenway. The weather was gorgeous, low 70’s, and I had a lot of fun.

Luckily, the gears in the rear are the ones you usually operate the most (operated from the right side -- right side is for the rear -- that's how I remember it :D ). I would recommend just concentrating on those first, then you can start using the front gears, but you may want to keep the front gear on the gear just below the largest gear.
    • Drybones wrote:

Did 28 miles on the Cheif Ladiga Trail this weekend, thought it would help the soar calves from the first gym workout in a while...didn't work...looked like an old man getting around today...no comments please!
      When my wife says stuff like that to me. I say actually I am one. But not going to let that stop me from doing what I want. :)
    • Well, it finally happened.
      Friday night, while bicycling home from work, I got a flat tire.
      A nail went through the tire and through both sides of the tube.
      It happened just as the sun was going down, which made it harder to fix than it should have been.
      Even though it was dark I had everything I needed to get the job done, spare tube, tire levers, and a pump.
      I guess it was just a matter of time as the road I ride is busy and so has a lot of debris on the shoulders.
      Of all the things that could happen it really wasn't so bad, I was only about 20 minutes late getting home.
      Hopefully I get a lot more miles, and daily commutes, before I have it happen again.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well, it finally happened.
      Friday night, while bicycling home from work, I got a flat tire.
      A nail went through the tire and through both sides of the tube.
      It happened just as the sun was going down, which made it harder to fix than it should have been.
      Even though it was dark I had everything I needed to get the job done, spare tube, tire levers, and a pump.
      I guess it was just a matter of time as the road I ride is busy and so has a lot of debris on the shoulders.
      Of all the things that could happen it really wasn't so bad, I was only about 20 minutes late getting home.
      Hopefully I get a lot more miles, and daily commutes, before I have it happen again.
      Glad you were prepared for and able to safely resolve it. :thumbup:
    • 22 miles and Bald River Falls...just down the road from the BMT and Green Cove Motel. I love this area!

I’m considering buying a gravel bike but they are in short supply right now, like many leisure items. Next week I’m biking on the New River Trail in VA.
      Images
      • AE6A704A-E2F0-4E8D-BD3E-E62AA017AC82.jpeg

193.81 kB, 483×600, viewed 176 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

22 miles and Bald River Falls...just down the road from the BMT and Green Cove Motel. I love this area!

I’m considering buying a gravel bike but they are in short supply right now, like many leisure items. Next week I’m biking on the New River Trail in VA.
      Now that is a waterfall. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

22 miles and Bald River Falls...just down the road from the BMT and Green Cove Motel. I love this area!

I'm sorry to tell you this Astro, but TJ's waterfall beat your waterfall :) LOL
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I'm sorry to tell you this Astro, but TJ's waterfall beat your waterfall :) LOL
      I totally agree!
      After all the dry ones on Saturday, I was just happy to see some with a little water on Sunday. :)
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I've looked at that on my way back from Damascus/Creeper trail. It looks like fun. Will you be bike camping? Let us know how you like it. It's on my list as it's only a few hours drive for me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I hit the jackpot and found a sweet!! gravel bike in my size, the only one to be found in my area. REI only had three bikes total (none that fit me) and the bike shop’s inventories are down to nothing.

This bike is awesome, much nicer than I deserve, so I plan to find lots of opportunities to ride to justify such a purchase.

I’ve already taken her on the New River Trail and the Mammoth Cave Railroad Trail. The NRT is fabulous for all skill levels, it’s basically flat and the scenery is beautiful. The Mammoth Cave trail is more challenging with some steep areas, loose gravel, and sand. It was a good trail to practice some new skills.

I can’t wait to outfit her with panniers and try some bike packing.
      Images
      • AB6F9C6F-8AB4-4E61-B33B-AB1B995903D2.jpeg

268.73 kB, 800×600, viewed 123 times
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I've looked at that on my way back from Damascus/Creeper trail. It looks like fun. Will you be bike camping? Let us know how you like it. It's on my list as it's only a few hours drive for me.
      Highly recommend the NRT. For me, it’s much more fun that the Creeper Trail.
    • I’m really enjoying my gravel bike. Normally, I don’t ride in the winter but it’s easier to stay warm when riding in the woods than riding on open road.

One of my favorite places to ride is on land owned by the Dept of Energy near Oak Ridge National Labs. The gravel roads are pre-Manhattan project with old cemeteries and quarries. It’s weird seeing street signs when vehicles aren’t allowed on these old roads.

It’s a tough (for me) place to ride but hopefully I will only get better. Don’t let the first pic mislead you, as soon as you turn the corner there’s a steep climb! It was cold that day...my glasses fogged up when I stopped.
      Images
      • CC029DFB-9F62-4BAA-8171-063F989EA363.jpeg

345.86 kB, 800×600, viewed 105 times
      • 1DCE8E97-2918-4DFE-AF1E-92C2CFCD75D2.jpeg

270.21 kB, 795×600, viewed 111 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Found another pic of this area from November. This particular route had 12-14% grades so I had to walk my bike several times...ugh. Hill climbing is so hard for me.
      This is why I bought the ebike. The pedal assist with optional throttle lets me stay in the saddle without straining.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference