Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yesterday, after removing the racks and lights from my road bike, I dropped it off at my LBS (Local Bike Shop) for a complete going over.
      I've had it for almost 2 years and figured it's time for some attention by a pro. Also, I asked them to replace the chain and brake pads. The only things I've had to do is clean and lubricate the chain, keep the tires pumped up, and make a few minor adjustments. I want the bike ready so that when the weather warms up I can start commuting on the bike again.

It sounds like JJ is having some good fun with his new mountain bike. That's something I've never had any real interest in but I hope he has lots of miles of smiles this year on 2 wheels.
    • max.patch wrote:

For only $30,000 you can go on a week long bike ride in Spain with Lance Armstrong and 11 other riders.

Seems kinda pricey to pay that much money to ride with someone who never won the Tour de France. :)

tmz.com/2020/01/24/lance-armst…ontent=link&ICID=ref_fark
      Does it come with supplements? :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

For only $30,000 you can go on a week long bike ride in Spain with Lance Armstrong and 11 other riders.

Seems kinda pricey to pay that much money to ride with someone who never won the Tour de France. :)

tmz.com/2020/01/24/lance-armst…ontent=link&ICID=ref_fark
      Does it come with supplements? :D
      The trip actually only costs $2,000. The Extra $28,00 pays for the steroids.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Today is my first bicycle commuting day for 2020.
      37 degrees and a bit breezy. I could have used a wind shirt as the breeze cut right through what I have on. Right now I'm killing time in Dunkin Donuts as it's too early to arrive at work.
      Definitely a nice place to kill time in the morning. My dad was a baker before he became a carpenter and general contractor. Great mememories of his freshly made donuts along with other baked items.
    • LIhikers wrote:

37 degrees and a bit breezy. I could have used a wind shirt as the breeze cut right through what I have on. Right now I'm killing time in Dunkin Donuts as it's too early to arrive at work.
      As you travel through life, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

As you travel through life, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole.
      Nice, I like that. there's a lot of wisdom in just a few words
    • While cycling home from work the other day I got doored. The driver said he didn't see me, I have to think it's because he wasn't looking. When I ride at night I have more lights than a Christmas tree and some of them are flashing.. His car door hit the back of my bike and knocked off the pannier plus pushed me out into traffic. Luckily no damage or harm was done. I was kind of proud of how I reacted, no screaming, cursing, or swarring. We did have a few words but l managed to stay factual and avoided emotional.
    • LIhikers wrote:

While cycling home from work the other day I got doored. The driver said he didn't see me, I have to think it's because he wasn't looking. When I ride at night I have more lights than a Christmas tree and some of them are flashing.. His car door hit the back of my bike and knocked off the pannier plus pushed me out into traffic. Luckily no damage or harm was done. I was kind of proud of how I reacted, no screaming, cursing, or swarring. We did have a few words but l managed to stay factual and avoided emotional.
      Wow! Close one. Glad you were not hurt.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hey anybody out there got an ebike? I think it might be nice to have one to run around town to the store and stuff and maybe take a bike trip on it. Some claim up to 75 miles on a charge.
      My daughter’s mother in law has one and I tried it out once. It was awesome. She’s not a big fan of cycling but this bike lets her participate in cycling with her husband. I’d love to have one for errands.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hey anybody out there got an ebike? I think it might be nice to have one to run around town to the store and stuff and maybe take a bike trip on it. Some claim up to 75 miles on a charge.a
      Around here it seems E-bikes have become the vehicle of choice for people who shouldn't be on the road.
      After all, everybody knows that bicycles can do whatever they want because cars will watch out for them, right? (he says sarcastically)
      Only problem is the E-bike travels much faster and many riders are very unpredictable.
      But I won't condemn the whole idea based on a few bad apples.
      To answer your question, I don't have any useful information.
    • LIhikers wrote:

It was a beautiful day here on Long Island so I did my commuting by bicycle. The one nice thing about New York being shut down is that there wasn't much traffic, gotta look for the bright spot in any situation.
      I was so looking forward to getting layed off......so I can ride my bike alot more, but you need your car to get to the grocer or clinic or you are REAL essential so we are working. We have layed off my Brother, his wife is 2 months into stem cells......he can't be here. I am the only non family member here so that keeps that closed up somewhat.

We were slow, but 4 wrecks have come in this week.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • This past Friday I had one heck of a commute on my bicycle.
      Going to work it was pretty windy making the ride harder than usual. I worked up so much of a sweat that my shirt was soaked, sort of, because of all the layers I had on to stay warm in the 37 degrees that it was. But the forecast that I had seen called for the wind to die down by going home time so that helped me stay positive about riding. But as the day wore on reality set in as I realized that the wind was not decreasing but increasing. The wind sock that I can see from the hangar where I work was standing straight out and indicated a direction that would be almost directly into my face as I ride home. I checked the weather at going home time and it said the wind was 30 gusting to 40. Yikes ;( this was going to be a slow, long ride home. At least it was warmer at 47 but I still had the same layers on as in the morning to help fight the wind chill. The road I usually ride is 3 lanes in each direction with a good sized shoulder on each side, so it's wide and open, allowing the wind to whip across. I decided to change my route and look for more sheltered roads, but no good. The wind was just about as strong on them as the bigger road. I was pedaling in lower gears than usual and even going down the 1 hill on the route, it didn't get any easier. I was traveling at a snails pace and it took me almost twice as long as usual to get home. I was warm enough except for my feet which felt frozen. A long hot shower and something hot to eat and drink and I was feeling better. I just kept telling myself that this could be an entire day on my future cross the country bike ride and what would I do then? Ride!
    • LIhikers wrote:

This past Friday I had one heck of a commute on my bicycle.
      Going to work it was pretty windy making the ride harder than usual. I worked up so much of a sweat that my shirt was soaked, sort of, because of all the layers I had on to stay warm in the 37 degrees that it was. But the forecast that I had seen called for the wind to die down by going home time so that helped me stay positive about riding. But as the day wore on reality set in as I realized that the wind was not decreasing but increasing. The wind sock that I can see from the hangar where I work was standing straight out and indicated a direction that would be almost directly into my face as I ride home. I checked the weather at going home time and it said the wind was 30 gusting to 40. Yikes ;( this was going to be a slow, long ride home. At least it was warmer at 47 but I still had the same layers on as in the morning to help fight the wind chill. The road I usually ride is 3 lanes in each direction with a good sized shoulder on each side, so it's wide and open, allowing the wind to whip across. I decided to change my route and look for more sheltered roads, but no good. The wind was just about as strong on them as the bigger road. I was pedaling in lower gears than usual and even going down the 1 hill on the route, it didn't get any easier. I was traveling at a snails pace and it took me almost twice as long as usual to get home. I was warm enough except for my feet which felt frozen. A long hot shower and something hot to eat and drink and I was feeling better. I just kept telling myself that this could be an entire day on my future cross the country bike ride and what would I do then? Ride!
      Wow, I’m really impressed that you did it! That kind of challenge only makes you stronger.
    • Last summer was difficult for me and my cycling was down probably 60%. Fall was devoted to keeping my house nice while trying to sell it. The house sold and I had to move the week of Christmas, while sick, and got terribly sick again a month later. Multiple visits to the Dr. and several rounds of antibiotics (my first in years), then when I’m finally feeling good, wham! stuck at home. I don’t feel sorry for myself but I’m anxious to get back into cycling and hiking.

I’ve been cycling around the neighborhood nearly every day when not working, trying to build up some strength. There’s some hard hills around here and yesterday I ventured out onto the road and had a good ride.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Wow, I’m really impressed that you did it! That kind of challenge only makes you stronger.
      Kathy said if I wasn't home in another 10 minutes she was going to come look for me with the car. Problem is that I was off my usual route and she probably wouldn't have found me.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy said if I wasn't home in another 10 minutes she was going to come look for me with the car. Problem is that I was off my usual route and she probably wouldn't have found me.
      I probably would have called before I left to see if her coming to pick me up was an option.
      But then you would not have a neat story to share with others. :)
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hey anybody out there got an ebike? I think it might be nice to have one to run around town to the store and stuff and maybe take a bike trip on it. Some claim up to 75 miles on a charge.
      Hey jimmyjam, did you ever look into the E-bike thing? I'm wondering if you made a decision one way or the other or what conclusions you may have come to. I could see one in my future, someday.
    • LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Hey jimmyjam, did you ever look into the E-bike thing? I'm wondering if you made a decision one way or the other or what conclusions you may have come to. I could see one in my future, someday.
      After much research I ordered a Rad Rover 5. It's a fat tired bike with handlebars that have a good rise to them so you have an upright riding position. 5 levels of pedal assist, plus throttle only mode, and 7 speed Shimano free wheel gearing. Sort of a two wheel SUV. Good for street, trail, snow and sand. Delivery in June.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

After much research I ordered a Rad Rover 5. It's a fat tired bike with handlebars that have a good rise to them so you have an upright riding position. 5 levels of pedal assist, plus throttle only mode, and 7 speed Shimano free wheel gearing. Sort of a two wheel SUV. Good for street, trail, snow and sand. Delivery in June.
      Good a use as any for that free stimulus money. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Good a use as any for that free stimulus money. :)
      actually what I did was I took the air fare, car rental and hotel from my cancelled Grand Canyon trip and used that. Got a full refund on everything except my backcountry camping below the rim permit and I think I have two years to use that.
      As I continue to have more trouble with my joints I'm really looking forward to this bike. My rheumatologist says as part of my autoimmune disease I have hypermobility in my joints. Coincidentally he recommends strength training, biking and walking ( which I interpret as hiking).
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rode my bicycle to work today. Every inch of the way I felt like the old man that I am, with some knee pain, a total lack of power in my legs, and who knows what else. I hope the ride home later will be better.
      I am sure the more you do it, the more your body will adjust. And as least you hopefully had a decent day to do it. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rode my bicycle to work today. Every inch of the way I felt like the old man that I am, with some knee pain, a total lack of power in my legs, and who knows what else. I hope the ride home later will be better.
      This is one of the reasons I'm getting that ebike with the pedal assist.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Ok, got the bike this morning and took it around the neighborhood twice before it started raining. Goodness, goodness, oh my gosh this thing is fun!!!! Made my legs feel like they were 12 years old again and I never went higher than pedal assist level 3. Definitely getting a better helmet.
      My buddy Slingshot and another friend or two will be camping in Pocohontas this weekend and I'm going to go down for the day,only a 30 min drive for me. I cannot wait to blast this thing down the fire roads.
      Oh and the orthopedic surgeon called me this morning and said no tear!!!!! He wants me to come in in the morning for another shot in my joints to help calm it down and then I can start therapy on it next week. I'm so relieved. Now if I can just keep from over doing stuff.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Ok, got the bike this morning and took it around the neighborhood twice before it started raining. Goodness, goodness, oh my gosh this thing is fun!!!! Made my legs feel like they were 12 years old again and I never went higher than pedal assist level 3. Definitely getting a better helmet.
      My buddy Slingshot and another friend or two will be camping in Pocohontas this weekend and I'm going to go down for the day,only a 30 min drive for me. I cannot wait to blast this thing down the fire roads.
      Oh and the orthopedic surgeon called me this morning and said no tear!!!!! He wants me to come in in the morning for another shot in my joints to help calm it down and then I can start therapy on it next week. I'm so relieved. Now if I can just keep from over doing stuff.

Awesome! Anyone who says those bikes should be banned have no idea how good they are for people. I want one!
    • If anyone is really interested and decides to buy one from RAD Power Bikes, let me know because they currently have a referral program where you get $50 off and I get a $50 credit. There are more powerful bikes out there, RAD are class 2 ebikes which means the controller is set to max out at 20mph making them street legal just about everywhere. The controller can be reset to allow greater speed but it's at the expense of battery life.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Ok, got the bike this morning and took it around the neighborhood twice before it started raining. Goodness, goodness, oh my gosh this thing is fun!!!! Made my legs feel like they were 12 years old again and I never went higher than pedal assist level 3. Definitely getting a better helmet.

Awesome! Anyone who says those bikes should be banned have no idea how good they are for people. I want one!
      If it gets people outdoors it's a goog thing.

Around here some people ride/drive them like they are on a suicide mission. I almost got T-boned by an E-bike while riding my bicycle.