Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

Did the first commute to work today.
      I must have been the first one to ever ride a bicycle to this place cause they couldn't believe that anyone would ride 10 miles on a bicycle.
      Traffic was pretty much what I expected, heavy.
      I'm thinkin to try it again Friday if the forecast is good.
      thats great! Dont you feel great when you get to work? Alive and ready to face the world?

I’m so sad that i can’t commute to work anymore. Instead, i get to sit in traffic on the interstate from the damn, perpetual road work.

#idratherbeonabike :)

One of my stupid theories is that when i consistently ride (rode) to work, the regulars get used to seeing me so they're expecting me and are more careful.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Did the first commute to work today.
      I must have been the first one to ever ride a bicycle to this place cause they couldn't believe that anyone would ride 10 miles on a bicycle.
      Traffic was pretty much what I expected, heavy.
      I'm thinkin to try it again Friday if the forecast is good.
      thats great! Dont you feel great when you get to work? Alive and ready to face the world?
      I’m so sad that i can’t commute to work anymore. Instead, i get to sit in traffic on the interstate from the damn, perpetual road work.

#idratherbeonabike :)

One of my stupid theories is that when i consistently ride (rode) to work, the regulars get used to seeing me so they're expecting me and are more careful.
      That's not a stupid theory, I've found that to be true too.
      3 jobs ago I used to ride to work a lot and there were a few drivers who wanted me off the road at first.
      As the years went by we'd yell or wave hello to each other on friendly terms.

Seems your stupid theories carry a lot of weight.
      I"ve got to check the library for "The World According To Bo Peep"
      I'd love to hear all your stupid theories.
    • if gonna ride a bike to work -- ride one that the people in cars are gonna notice!

of our 2 ride to work members -- who's gonna ride this -- TJ or LIhikers?

although i think i'm votin for Jake.

edit to add: just remembered that coach is "working" on his bike. i can see him on something like this...

[IMG:https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33193264_10215111338070688_4630245869193527296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e3fb9160fcb202d2882c2ef4e252e23d&oe=5BC3A8A4]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 3 times, last by max.patch ().

• Think I'll pass on the pink flamingo
      Yesterday I went out and did a leisurely 15 or so miles
      And yes there was a stop at a Dunkin Donuts where I ordered my usual medium sized coffee with just milk.
      This shop has some outdoor tables so that where I sat while I enjoyed my cup of joe.
      The on my way home something funny happened, as I'm riding along the side of the road I hear a cat whistle and some woman yells "nice legs" out the window of her car. I had to laugh, I'm just a fat, old guy on a bike with nothing to look at.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Think I'll pass on the pink flamingo
      Yesterday I went out and did a leisurely 15 or so miles
      And yes there was a stop at a Dunkin Donuts where I ordered my usual medium sized coffee with just milk.
      This shop has some outdoor tables so that where I sat while I enjoyed my cup of joe.
      The on my way home something funny happened, as I'm riding along the side of the road I hear a cat whistle and some woman yells "nice legs" out the window of her car. I had to laugh, I'm just a fat, old guy on a bike with nothing to look at.
      Doesn’t mean you don’t have nice legs. :)
    • I had a 5-6 week interruption in cycling which has really impacted my cycling fitness. I rode 20 miles on Saturday and was the slowest I’ve been in a year or two..had to stop and rest three times.

It’s disappointing.

BUT, on the plus side, I’ve been hiking more than ever and feel pretty strong.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

I had a 5-6 week interruption in cycling which has really impacted my cycling fitness. I rode 20 miles on Saturday and was the slowest I’ve been in a year or two..had to stop and rest three times.

It’s disappointing.

It's too bad that cycling and hiking don't use all the same muscles in the same way.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I had a 5-6 week interruption in cycling which has really impacted my cycling fitness. I rode 20 miles on Saturday and was the slowest I’ve been in a year or two..had to stop and rest three times.

It’s disappointing.

It's too bad that cycling and hiking don't use all the same muscles in the same way.
      a few days after my thru i met some friends for a 5 mile run around stone mountain. to my surprise i had to stop and rest a couple times during the run. lotta difference between walking 2 mph and running 7.5 mph.
      2,000 miler
    • Yesterday was another day of bicycle commuting to work
      I was surprised to see 2 other people that I'm pretty sure we commuting on their bicycle
      We waved and yelled hello to each other, as they were going in different directions
      I'm happy with my lighting that I run during the day time to make me more visible.
      In the front I use this light set on daytime flashing mode
      In the rear I have 3 lights. Mounted on the lower edge of the rear fender is this it can be set to blink or run without blinking. On the back of the rack is a generic red light that can either blink or not, and on the seat post is one of these which has a bright day time flash mode. And in an effort to be visible to drivers I wear a bright orange T shirt, the same as construction workers often wear
    • Got up early and rode into the Smokies with a friend, 34 mi.

Early morning riding is great as we beat the heat. I led most of the way, thinking i needed to be mindful of speed so she didnt wear out...she is older than me with less cycling experience. Lol! She got ahead of me the last 8 miles and took off. I was tuckered out but she was fresh as a daisy. It was great for me cuz i got to draft off her back wheel at the end and finished strong instead of limping into the finish. We were much faster the last 8 miles than the other 26!
    • Yesterday I rode my bicycle to work and home with no problems.
      Today as I'm wheeling it across a parking lot, on my way to my local bike shop I see the rear wheel has quite a wobble.
      The plan was to replace the stem with an adjustable one, to raise the bars a little, but now the rear wheel needs to be trued, or possibly replaced because it's that bad. I don't remember hitting any big holes or bumps, it's a mystery to me.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Yesterday I rode my bicycle to work and home with no problems.
      Today as I'm wheeling it across a parking lot, on my way to my local bike shop I see the rear wheel has quite a wobble.
      The plan was to replace the stem with an adjustable one, to raise the bars a little, but now the rear wheel needs to be trued, or possibly replaced because it's that bad. I don't remember hitting any big holes or bumps, it's a mystery to me.
      On your new bike? That doesn’t sound right. They should replace the wheel for free.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

On your new bike? That doesn’t sound right. They should replace the wheel for free.
      I had the bike on the car bike rack. It turns out that as I pulled away from the house the rear wheel of the bicycle kissed a telephone pole. Or at least that's what Kathy tells me. So it seems I'm the culprit. I didn't get told until tonight so I didn't know that when I posted earlier today. I sure hope they can straighten out my mistake. :(
    • I haven't been by here in what feels like forever. New job of three months and I think I'm finally over the jetlag portion of adjusting to the hours. I decided since my commute each direction is only 3.23 miles from door to door that I would start biking or walking most days. I tried biking twice and after way too many people almost running over me and one situation where I had to hastily ditch my bike, I've gone to just walking.

The problem here isn't even that they can't see me. They can. There is just a massive rift between those who bike and those who drive in this area. Many of those who drive, resent sharing the road with those who bike, so they either pretend they aren't there or intentionally cause them to fall off/wreck or otherwise impede their progress. It's sad too because there are a lot of people here who bike.

I'll have to stick to the mountains for my biking. At least when I'm on foot and people still almost run over me, I can get out of the way faster.

One month in to my decision to not drive and I've lost nine pounds, so that's something!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • i agree with ewok. while bicyclists have every legal right to ride on the road, it is simply not safe to do so. and with so many people driving with one eye on the road and the other eye on their cell matters have just gotten worse.

i live 3 miles from the silver comet rail to trail -- and i put my bike in it's rack and drive there. i also have a mountain bike which i use on some of the easier trails around here. but as far as riding on the road -- ain't gonna happen ever again.
      2,000 miler
    • Ewok11 wrote:

...........The problem here isn't even that they can't see me. They can. There is just a massive rift between those who bike and those who drive in this area. Many of those who drive, resent sharing the road with those who bike, so they either pretend they aren't there or intentionally cause them to fall off/wreck or otherwise impede their progress. It's sad too because there are a lot of people here who bike..........
      It's the same thing here on Long Island, most drivers don't know we have a right to use the roadway.
      On Friday I had someone yell at me "get off the road"
      Most people never think about bicycling or if they do it's in the context of it's a toy for kids
      Most people I know are amazed at the idea of me riding 10 whole miles to work.
      It's sad really, why pay to go to a gym if you can exercise for free, unless you need a specific work-out
    • LIhikers wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

...........The problem here isn't even that they can't see me. They can. There is just a massive rift between those who bike and those who drive in this area. Many of those who drive, resent sharing the road with those who bike, so they either pretend they aren't there or intentionally cause them to fall off/wreck or otherwise impede their progress. It's sad too because there are a lot of people here who bike..........
      It's the same thing here on Long Island, most drivers don't know we have a right to use the roadway.On Friday I had someone yell at me "get off the road"
      Most people never think about bicycling or if they do it's in the context of it's a toy for kids
      It's sad really, why pay to go to a gym if you can exercise for free, unless you need a specific work-out
      We built this cyber cycling place- I can't believe that people drive to this place to ride stationary bikes in front of a big TV screen so that it looks like they are riding outside. It's retarded!!!!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

It's the same thing here on Long Island, most drivers don't know we have a right to use the roadway.On Friday I had someone yell at me "get off the road"Most people never think about bicycling or if they do it's in the context of it's a toy for kids
      We built this cyber cycling place- I can't believe that people drive to this place to ride stationary bikes in front of a big TV screen so that it looks like they are riding outside. It's retarded!!!!!!
      But it's probably air conditioned so they don't have to sweat...lol
    • I don't begrudge anyone whatever kind of exercise they're getting, indoor or outdoor.

I'm in Idaho where the whole concept of the "Idaho Stop" started, in a town with bike lanes and still people don't get it.

I tried zigzagging through neighborhoods but man oh man, I always seem to hit trash day. So, regular traffic, plus trashcans, plus street-side parking and it just isn't worth the stress level. I applaud the people who make it work. I also think the city I live in doesn't do a very good job of educating drivers and cyclist alike about the rules of the road.

With walking I get to take the time to enjoy the scenery and I've made several dog friends on my route, which is totally worth it.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I'm still a daredevil riding the roads but only where the speed limit is 25 mph. Sitting here at Dunkin about a mile from my house by car but a 3 or 4 mile bike ride because I zigzag thru neighborhoods and parking lots.
      The extra distance biked potentially negates the donut.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I don't begrudge anyone whatever kind of exercise they're getting, indoor or outdoor.

I'm in Idaho where the whole concept of the "Idaho Stop" started, in a town with bike lanes and still people don't get it.

I tried zigzagging through neighborhoods but man oh man, I always seem to hit trash day. So, regular traffic, plus trashcans, plus street-side parking and it just isn't worth the stress level. I applaud the people who make it work. I also think the city I live in doesn't do a very good job of educating drivers and cyclist alike about the rules of the road.

With walking I get to take the time to enjoy the scenery and I've made several dog friends on my route, which is totally worth it.
      The Utah Legislature has considered this concept (Idaho Stop) for two years but not yet enacted. The issue is ‘safety’ but won’t consider banning phone usage while driving.

Went on an interesting ride today. The SLC library has conducted for several years a ‘Ride the Branches’ bike ride during summer months. One of the goals is to acquaint folks with the various library neighborhood branches. Rode to three branches today, none of which I’ve visited previously. Lots of families, new riders, and experienced folks made the effort.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I had to look up Idaho Stop, I'd never heard of it before.
      Many independent cyclists do that as a matter of course.
      The local bicycle club encourages full stops and waiting for the traffic light.
      When I'm riding to or from work I always stop for the full time of traffic lights, I don't want to piss of any of these drivers as I'll be on the road with these same people every time.

My biggest problem is when the shoulder of the road turns into a right turn lane.
      If I go next to the curb I'm on the wrong side of the right turners for me to go straight.
      If I go into the straight through lane then I'm sandwiched between cars going straight and making a right turn.
      I'm OK with that but I'm sure many of the drivers aren't, they don't expect to see a bicycle out in the road and in the mix of traffic, which is heavy
    • Suggest ‘owning’ the right turn lane by positioning oneself in the center of the lane. Prior to routinely doing this, I would be squeezed into the curb by an vehicle mirror or by a trailer pulled by a right turning vehicle. I didn’t do this a while back and was brushed by the mirror of a police pickup truck. As the driver clearly violated the state law requiring 3’ of clearance for pedestrians and bicyclists, the officer and I exchanged viewpoints on the matter. The discussion ended when I called for her supervisor and she received a verbal admonishment, but no ticket.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

that's crazy!
      i look at the purty girls!
      Cof124
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I haven't been by here in what feels like forever. New job of three months and I think I'm finally over the jetlag portion of adjusting to the hours. I decided since my commute each direction is only 3.23 miles from door to door that I would start biking or walking most days. I tried biking twice and after way too many people almost running over me and one situation where I had to hastily ditch my bike, I've gone to just walking.

The problem here isn't even that they can't see me. They can. There is just a massive rift between those who bike and those who drive in this area. Many of those who drive, resent sharing the road with those who bike, so they either pretend they aren't there or intentionally cause them to fall off/wreck or otherwise impede their progress. It's sad too because there are a lot of people here who bike.

I'll have to stick to the mountains for my biking. At least when I'm on foot and people still almost run over me, I can get out of the way faster.

One month in to my decision to not drive and I've lost nine pounds, so that's something!
      Ewok, I was going to ask where you lived that people would be so jerky as to purposely squeeze bikers, but I see that it is Idaho.

I consider Boston a pretty friendly bike town. Lots of people who live in/ close to the city bike to work since it is much faster than sitting in rush hour traffic. Many roads have bike lanes. Even so, there are a few tragic car/bike accidents every year that I read about.

One of the dangers is called 'dooring.' People who throw open their parked car door into the bicycle lane. I have to admit I once 'doored' someone. Luckily his injuries were bruises and scrapes. I had to pay to replace the front end of his bike.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Dan76 wrote:

Suggest ‘owning’ the right turn lane by positioning oneself in the center of the lane. Prior to routinely doing this, I would be squeezed into the curb by an vehicle mirror or by a trailer pulled by a right turning vehicle. I didn’t do this a while back and was brushed by the mirror of a police pickup truck. As the driver clearly violated the state law requiring 3’ of clearance for pedestrians and bicyclists, the officer and I exchanged viewpoints on the matter. The discussion ended when I called for her supervisor and she received a verbal admonishment, but no ticket.
      I've considered doing that, riding the middle of the turn lane, but silly as it sounds, I feel bad about slowing people down.
      As for state law, I've considered printing it out and carrying it with me on the bicycle.

Went to my LBS yesterday to get brake parts for my wife's bike. They told me the rear wheel on my new bike is toast. Now they're going to figure out if it would be cheaper for them to build me a new wheel or to buy a new one. The saga continues. I think I'll have them take the pedals off the Surly so I can use them on my hybrid and commute on that.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Suggest ‘owning’ the right turn lane by positioning oneself in the center of the lane. Prior to routinely doing this, I would be squeezed into the curb by an vehicle mirror or by a trailer pulled by a right turning vehicle. I didn’t do this a while back and was brushed by the mirror of a police pickup truck. As the driver clearly violated the state law requiring 3’ of clearance for pedestrians and bicyclists, the officer and I exchanged viewpoints on the matter. The discussion ended when I called for her supervisor and she received a verbal admonishment, but no ticket.
      I've considered doing that, riding the middle of the turn lane, but silly as it sounds, I feel bad about slowing people down.As for state law, I've considered printing it out and carrying it with me on the bicycle.

Went to my LBS yesterday to get brake parts for my wife's bike. They told me the rear wheel on my new bike is toast. Now they're going to figure out if it would be cheaper for them to build me a new wheel or to buy a new one. The saga continues. I think I'll have them take the pedals off the Surly so I can use them on my hybrid and commute on that.
      Well that just flat out sucks. Sorry about your misfortune.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I've considered doing that, riding the middle of the turn lane, but silly as it sounds, I feel bad about slowing people down.As for state law, I've considered printing it out and carrying it with me on the bicycle.
      Well that just flat out sucks. Sorry about your misfortune.
      In the over-all big picture, called life, it's really nothing at all................kinda