Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D
      ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
      Don’t forget Georgia.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
      Don’t forget Georgia.
      The thing will be high mileage before I get it if it takes that route...lol
      My son recently ordered some transistors from a company in New York City, 35 miles to our west.
      The package was shipped USPS and went from NYC to a town in upstate New York, to Chicago, to MN, back to Chicago, east to a different place in up-state NY then to Long Island, then to our town and finally almost 2 weeks later to our house. Then when he opened the small package the company had shipped the wrong kind of transistors. ;(
    • Bo Peep wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
      Don’t forget Georgia.
      I wish the hell it would fall on Washington DC.....while in session.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
      Don’t forget Georgia.
      I wish the hell it would fall on Washington DC.....while in session.
      LIHikers bike? ?(

      I think you got your threads mixed up.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Today I stopped by my local bike shop to see what's going on with my new bicycle.
      It turns out that while it's been ordered it hasn't left a distribution site in Minneapolis yet.
      The shipping is backed up because when we've had good weather they've had winter storms and when they've had good weather we've had snow storms with another due tonight into Tuesday. The bike shop owner hopes it'll ship by the end of this week.
      not to worry, it still has to go the Texas, Vermont, back to Texas a few times before it arrives :D ‘R sumthin’ like cat.
      Don’t forget Georgia.
      I wish the hell it would fall on Washington DC.....while in session.
      LIHikers bike? ?(
      I think you got your threads mixed up.
      That was good for a laugh....thanks.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      If I thought it would help anything I'd say go ahead and drop the bicycle on DC.
      They would just pass more laws to protect themselves and leave the rest of us out
      This is another day of being pissed at politicians for me, found out that any money allocated for prisoner food that is not spent goes into the sheriff's pocket....$750,000...the son of a biatch just bought a beach house at Orange Beach with my tax dollars...talk about ways to encourage corruption...and it's legal...WTF are our politicians doing.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      If I thought it would help anything I'd say go ahead and drop the bicycle on DC.
      They would just pass more laws to protect themselves and leave the rest of us out
      This is another day of being pissed at politicians for me, found out that any money allocated for prisoner food that is not spent goes into the sheriff's pocket....$750,000...the son of a biatch just bought a beach house at Orange Beach with my tax dollars...talk about ways to encourage corruption...and it's legal...WTF are our politicians doing.
      excuse my language, but that's total phukking bullschitt. i saw the headline of the story a day or two ago but didn't read the details -- i ASSUMED the SOB was caught embezzling and was going to be fired, tried, and punished.

      lets hope the voters in alabama don't return this SOB to office.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      If I thought it would help anything I'd say go ahead and drop the bicycle on DC.
      They would just pass more laws to protect themselves and leave the rest of us out
      This is another day of being pissed at politicians for me, found out that any money allocated for prisoner food that is not spent goes into the sheriff's pocket....$750,000...the son of a biatch just bought a beach house at Orange Beach with my tax dollars...talk about ways to encourage corruption...and it's legal...WTF are our politicians doing.
      excuse my language, but that's total phukking bullschitt. i saw the headline of the story a day or two ago but didn't read the details -- i ASSUMED the SOB was caught embezzling and was going to be fired, tried, and punished.
      lets hope the voters in alabama don't return this SOB to office.
      Unfortunately, the next person elected will do the same thing unless laws are changed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      If I thought it would help anything I'd say go ahead and drop the bicycle on DC.
      They would just pass more laws to protect themselves and leave the rest of us out
      This is another day of being pissed at politicians for me, found out that any money allocated for prisoner food that is not spent goes into the sheriff's pocket....$750,000...the son of a biatch just bought a beach house at Orange Beach with my tax dollars...talk about ways to encourage corruption...and it's legal...WTF are our politicians doing.
      excuse my language, but that's total phukking bullschitt. i saw the headline of the story a day or two ago but didn't read the details -- i ASSUMED the SOB was caught embezzling and was going to be fired, tried, and punished.
      lets hope the voters in alabama don't return this SOB to office.
      almost seems like some of you think this is something new. back in the day sheriffs were paid hardly anything so they were allowed a few perks like keeping excess food money. it's up to whomever supplies the food money to not give the sheriffs too much. these days they are paid decent wages and they have the perks. why do you think people come out of the woodwork to run for sheriff? complain to your legislature.

      in my county (Baldwin) the sheriff turns over excess funds to the county. don't know whether it's voluntary or not, but I seem to remember our previous sheriff got called out for keeping the money and was not reelected.
    • Drybones wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      If I thought it would help anything I'd say go ahead and drop the bicycle on DC.
      They would just pass more laws to protect themselves and leave the rest of us out
      This is another day of being pissed at politicians for me, found out that any money allocated for prisoner food that is not spent goes into the sheriff's pocket....$750,000...the son of a biatch just bought a beach house at Orange Beach with my tax dollars...talk about ways to encourage corruption...and it's legal...WTF are our politicians doing.
      I once lived in a county whereby the elected sheriff did much the same thing. Apparently he had been doing this for years prior to being exposed. Additionally he received kickbacks from the food vender. Sadly he was allowed to retire with a pension and did not face prosecution. And folks wonder why law enforcement officers receive little respect.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro wrote:

      The solution is transparency and knowledgeable voters.
      I continue to be amazed...perhaps saddened by the politicians the Utah electorate continually re-elect. One of my acquaintances (overall a good guy) continually complains about the local, state, and national politicians representing Utah, all but one are incumbents many times over. However he sheepishly admitted to voting a straight R ticket.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • After day 1 of the new job I went over to my LBS and became acquainted with my new bicycle, the Surly Disc trucker.
      The frame is painted gray and it's ready to ride except for the lack of pedals.
      I'll go over Saturday morning with pedals with toe clips that I plan to use and ride the bike home.
      First order will be to get the saddle and handle bar adjusted so they are comfortable.
      Then I'll figure out what accessoriesat to equip the bicycle with. I'm planning on a frame pump, rear view mirror, fenders, racks front and rear, lights front and rear, reflectors front and rear, and a bell. Then I'll have to decide if the panniers and handle bar bags I have will be good enough or if I'll need new. I'll also have to figure out what to do about a tent, I think I want have one that's freestanding.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      After day 1 of the new job I went over to my LBS and became acquainted with my new bicycle, the Surly Disc trucker.
      The frame is painted gray and it's ready to ride except for the lack of pedals.
      I'll go over Saturday morning with pedals with toe clips that I plan to use and ride the bike home.
      First order will be to get the saddle and handle bar adjusted so they are comfortable.
      Then I'll figure out what accessoriesat to equip the bicycle with. I'm planning on a frame pump, rear view mirror, fenders, racks front and rear, lights front and rear, reflectors front and rear, and a bell. Then I'll have to decide if the panniers and handle bar bags I have will be good enough or if I'll need new. I'll also have to figure out what to do about a tent, I think I want have one that's freestanding.
      I’m not sure, but I think you mentioned you haven’t used toe clips before?

      You might want to practice in a deserted parking lot with one sneaker and one bike shoe. That way, if you can’t get unclipped fast enough when stopping, you can put your other foot down and not fall over, ending up with bruises from thigh to ankle. Switch out your shoes and practice each foot.

      Also, clip in one foot while standing still. Push off with the other foot. If it takes you a bit to clip in the unclipoed foot, remember to do a one legged pedal with your other foot, keeping your pedals rotating so you don’t fall over.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      After day 1 of the new job I went over to my LBS and became acquainted with my new bicycle, the Surly Disc trucker.
      The frame is painted gray and it's ready to ride except for the lack of pedals.
      I'll go over Saturday morning with pedals with toe clips that I plan to use and ride the bike home.
      First order will be to get the saddle and handle bar adjusted so they are comfortable.
      Then I'll figure out what accessoriesat to equip the bicycle with. I'm planning on a frame pump, rear view mirror, fenders, racks front and rear, lights front and rear, reflectors front and rear, and a bell. Then I'll have to decide if the panniers and handle bar bags I have will be good enough or if I'll need new. I'll also have to figure out what to do about a tent, I think I want have one that's freestanding.
      I’m not sure, but I think you mentioned you haven’t used toe clips before?..............................................
      Toe clips with straps I have plenty of experience with.
      It's clipless pedals I've never used.
      Either way, thanks for thinking of my well being, I really appreciate it! :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      After day 1 of the new job I went over to my LBS and became acquainted with my new bicycle, the Surly Disc trucker.
      The frame is painted gray and it's ready to ride except for the lack of pedals.
      I'll go over Saturday morning with pedals with toe clips that I plan to use and ride the bike home.
      First order will be to get the saddle and handle bar adjusted so they are comfortable.
      Then I'll figure out what accessoriesat to equip the bicycle with. I'm planning on a frame pump, rear view mirror, fenders, racks front and rear, lights front and rear, reflectors front and rear, and a bell. Then I'll have to decide if the panniers and handle bar bags I have will be good enough or if I'll need new. I'll also have to figure out what to do about a tent, I think I want have one that's freestanding.
      I’m not sure, but I think you mentioned you haven’t used toe clips before?..............................................
      Toe clips with straps I have plenty of experience with.It's clipless pedals I've never used.
      Either way, thanks for thinking of my well being, I really appreciate it! :)
      Ah, yes..I always seem to hear ‘toe clip’ but think ‘clipless’. I was a little worried about you riding your new bike home and using clipless pedals for the first time.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • It's a beautiful day here and I just rode my new bicycle, a Surly Disc Trucker, home the 10 or so miles from my Local Bike Shop.
      My first impression is that I think I made a good choice surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker
      For a bike with a long wheel base, and made to carry heavy loads the thing felt pretty agile.
      I might want a little shorter stem but I won't change anything until I've ridden it long enough to know for sure.
    • Yesterday early AM biked to DD in a slight drizzle, ate too many donuts cancelling the exercise benefit, waited for friends whom did not show as snow was falling at their location, and when riding back encountered the aforementioned snow.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

      Yesterday early AM biked to DD in a slight drizzle, ate too many donuts cancelling the exercise benefit, waited for friends whom did not show as snow was falling at their location, and when riding back encountered the aforementioned snow.
      I love running when it's snowing but doubt I'd care for biking in it, but I would like to see how the 2.6" mud slingers on my mtb would be in the snow.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Fortunately on the MTB with new tires so encountered little difficulty. Changing vectors and braking are the challenges in snow with the occasional idiot motorist.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • chief wrote:

      Dan76 wrote:

      Fortunately on the MTB with new tires so encountered little difficulty. Changing vectors and braking are the challenges in snow with the occasional idiot motorist.
      idiot motorists? what about the dumbass riding a bike in the snow.
      I've been known to do that. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Spending the weekend at Brevard, NC and biking the Dupont Forest trails, supposed to be the best bike trails east of the Rockies, camping at Davidson River Campground with my son and his better half, I'm sure I'll bust my a$$ several times trying to keep up with them...one thing for sure with them....it'll be fun.
      Images
      • Messages _resized.jpg

        50.52 kB, 520×600, viewed 12 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Still not well, but not as bad as I was.
      Today I went to my local hardware store and picked up a 5x0.8mm tape to clean the powder coating from the eyelets on my new bicycle.
      I bought a set of fenders from my LBS to install but the powder coating on the eyelet threads wouldn't let the hardware screw in so I'll clean out the coating. If I'm not well enough to ride I might as well work on the thing. Monday I'll bring one of my tap handles home from work and do the job.