Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      grayblazer wrote:

      I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.


      The downhills make the uphills all worth it.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      grayblazer wrote:

      I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.


      Great life lesson in there. If want the joy of riding down hill, at some point you got to do the work to get up the hill.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Hiking & Biking

      Astro wrote:

      grayblazer wrote:

      I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.


      Great life lesson in there. If want the joy of riding down hill, at some point you got to do the work to get up the hill.


      Or get someone to ride you to the top of the hill (Ala; The Creeper). Next time I ride the Creeper, I'm just gonna ride up the hill. It's such a no incline. The swimming/wading spots are great. Crazy Larry sure gets into washing that mud off the female bike riders. I would, too.
    • Hiking & Biking

      grayblazer wrote:

      I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.


      I feel that way with running. I hate trying to run up hill.

      Downhill is awesome. It's probably the closest I will ever feel to flying. Even the part where I really am flying for those few seconds between leaving the bike and hitting the ground. It's still worth it.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      Ewok11 wrote:

      grayblazer wrote:

      I remember the 1st time I started riding my mountain bike in NC. I was riding downhill thinking this is awesome. This is fantastic, this is what I've always wanted to do. As soon as I hit my 1st incline, I remember thinking this is dumb, this is stupid, who would ever want to do this. I was able to ride uphill a little more each day. I am a flat lander although there are some 100' hills around G'ville.


      I feel that way with running. I hate trying to run up hill.

      Downhill is awesome. It's probably the closest I will ever feel to flying. Even the part where I really am flying for those few seconds between leaving the bike and hitting the ground. It's still worth it.


      Lol!
      Going 30 mph downhill is amazing.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      CoachLou wrote:

      Over the last three years I have dumped my old Mtn bike in the weeds @ trail heads and driven up /down the trail, hiked and rode bike back. Day hikes or weekenders. The best part is that your in 'Trail country', so it is usually slow traffic and nice scenery!


      You know Lou, I might just need to try that this summer.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • Hiking & Biking

      I can recommend several loops in the Catskills where that works well. There are a bunch of places were you can do nice weekend loops with only a few miles of roadwalk where stashing a bike would be a great time saver.

      (Usually, I've just yogi'ed a ride at the end. :oops: )
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Hiking & Biking

      I got in a 13.5 mi urban ride and had a blast. I rode the greenway through several city parks and around UT campus. I had to dodge toddlers, runners with earbuds, and those people who know you're there but won't move. As I was riding around a blind curve, this guy on a bike came from the other direction, on my side, and ran me into a bush. I stopped once to watch the ladies crew team for a few minutes. Fun times!


      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I got in a 13.5 mi urban ride and had a blast. I rode the greenway through several city parks and around UT campus. I had to dodge toddlers, runners with earbuds, and those people who know you're there but won't move. As I was riding around a blind curve, this guy on a bike came from the other direction, on my side, and ran me into a bush. I stopped once to watch the ladies crew team for a few minutes. Fun times!




      It's a nice place down by the river, I stayed near there once years ago when I was in town for a computer class.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      jimmyjam wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I got in a 13.5 mi urban ride and had a blast. I rode the greenway through several city parks and around UT campus. I had to dodge toddlers, runners with earbuds, and those people who know you're there but won't move. As I was riding around a blind curve, this guy on a bike came from the other direction, on my side, and ran me into a bush. I stopped once to watch the ladies crew team for a few minutes. Fun times!




      It's a nice place down by the river, I stayed near there once years ago when I was in town for a computer class.


      I kept thinking about Ewok during my ride. That environment is perfect for hybrids and mountain bikes. I wasn't being sarcastic in my post, it really was a fun ride.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I got in a 13.5 mi urban ride and had a blast. I rode the greenway through several city parks and around UT campus. I had to dodge toddlers, runners with earbuds, and those people who know you're there but won't move. As I was riding around a blind curve, this guy on a bike came from the other direction, on my side, and ran me into a bush. I stopped once to watch the ladies crew team for a few minutes. Fun times!





      It's a nice place down by the river, I stayed near there once years ago when I was in town for a computer class.


      I kept thinking about Ewok during my ride. That environment is perfect for hybrids and mountain bikes. I wasn't being sarcastic in my post, it really was a fun ride.




      The weather has been so nice the last couple of days that I've been tempted to ride loops around my neighborhood just to get my bike out and about. We have one trail here that's intended to be a bike trail (commuter, road bike, leisure ride, whatever) but it's turned in to a running, walking, stroller pushing, dog walking, teach your small child to ride a bike trail. All of the above are honorable past times but scare the beejeebus out of me when I go around a blind curve and there's a toddler and/or dog running loose. I'm terrified of hurting a small child or getting tangled in a leash.

      LOTS of those non-mover-out-of-the-wayers here too. "On your left, on your left....HEY!!! I'm coming around you on your left!!!!!!!!"
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      Ewok11 wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I got in a 13.5 mi urban ride and had a blast. I rode the greenway through several city parks and around UT campus. I had to dodge toddlers, runners with earbuds, and those people who know you're there but won't move. As I was riding around a blind curve, this guy on a bike came from the other direction, on my side, and ran me into a bush. I stopped once to watch the ladies crew team for a few minutes. Fun times!





      It's a nice place down by the river, I stayed near there once years ago when I was in town for a computer class.


      I kept thinking about Ewok during my ride. That environment is perfect for hybrids and mountain bikes. I wasn't being sarcastic in my post, it really was a fun ride.




      The weather has been so nice the last couple of days that I've been tempted to ride loops around my neighborhood just to get my bike out and about. We have one trail here that's intended to be a bike trail (commuter, road bike, leisure ride, whatever) but it's turned in to a running, walking, stroller pushing, dog walking, teach your small child to ride a bike trail. All of the above are honorable past times but scare the beejeebus out of me when I go around a blind curve and there's a toddler and/or dog running loose. I'm terrified of hurting a small child or getting tangled in a leash.

      LOTS of those non-mover-out-of-the-wayers here too. "On your left, on your left....HEY!!! I'm coming around you on your left!!!!!!!!"


      There's something about humanity that I just love. I don't know how to describe it. I love seeing the 'baby daddy's' playing with their kids in the park, the homeless guys congregating, the young couple being romantic under the awning (yeah, it's true). I know the local perv by sight. As soon as it gets warm, he sits in his convertible in the park parking lot and watches the women run by...or maybe it's the men? The non-movers-out-of-the way people crack me up. What are they trying to prove? It makes me feel alive!
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      Why is there always a headwind, no matter what direction you're riding? 2.gif

      I rode Old Walland Hwy, thinking I'd bike into the park, but 16 ml was all I could manage. The hardcore cyclists from the local bike shop were out. If you'd seen them pass me, you'd know why I'm called Traffic Jam.

      http://www.tnvacation.com/triptales/a-bicycle-high-on-old-walland-highway/
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      I decided to try off-road cycling today. I packed up my daughter's hybrid and went to a nature area that has paved and unpaved trails. I didn't last long on the unpaved part, I really needed a mountain bike instead. The path wound along the French Broad River with beautiful views of farm land and fields. I ended up riding 9 mi.









      I hope the weather gets better and all you poho's can get out and ride (and hike) soon.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I decided to try off-road cycling today. I packed up my daughter's hybrid and went to a nature area that has paved and unpaved trails. I didn't last long on the unpaved part, I really needed a mountain bike instead. The path wound along the French Broad River with beautiful views of farm land and fields. I ended up riding 9 mi.









      I hope the weather gets better and all you poho's can get out and ride (and hike) soon.


      Is that clover in that field?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      milkman wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:



      Is that clover in that field?

      I think it's Mary Jane.


      I'm pretty sure it's not Mary Jane but wild clover. Of course, I don't know what Mary Jane looks like so I could be wrong. gif.016


      Hike half the AT and odds are you will know what it looks like, what the smoke smells like, and how people burn it. I have to avoid it. I found those who use it to not be very considerate of others who could lose their only source of income if the active ingredient showed up in a routine drug test.

      A Mary Jane Honeycut (spelling?) interviewed me for a job in New Jersey. I can guess what her parents were like.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      milkman wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:



      Is that clover in that field?

      I think it's Mary Jane.


      I'm pretty sure it's not Mary Jane but wild clover. Of course, I don't know what Mary Jane looks like so I could be wrong. gif.016


      Made a nice picture, whichever it is.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hiking & Biking

      grayblazer wrote:

      milkman wrote:

      stoviewander wrote:



      A Mary Jane Honeycut (spelling?) interviewed me for a job in New Jersey. I can guess what her parents were like.

      Coulda been worse. It could have been Moon Unit.


      Gag me with a spoon.

      Coulda been Dynamo Hum.

      I'm wondering how my great niece is gonna do later on. Her name is Chevy Shyanne. My niece and all her friends think it's real cute right now but they're all a bunch of swamp muddin' rednecks.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Hiking & Biking

      milkman wrote:

      grayblazer wrote:

      milkman wrote:

      stoviewander wrote:



      A Mary Jane Honeycut (spelling?) interviewed me for a job in New Jersey. I can guess what her parents were like.

      Coulda been worse. It could have been Moon Unit.


      Gag me with a spoon.

      Coulda been Dynamo Hum.

      I'm wondering how my great niece is gonna do later on. Her name is Chevy Shyanne. My niece and all her friends think it's real cute right now but they're all a bunch of swamp muddin' rednecks.


      I congratulated Corolla at Springer Mountain the day she finished her SOBO thru. Not her real name, so not quite the same.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Hiking & Biking

      milkman wrote:

      grayblazer wrote:

      milkman wrote:

      stoviewander wrote:



      A Mary Jane Honeycut (spelling?) interviewed me for a job in New Jersey. I can guess what her parents were like.

      Coulda been worse. It could have been Moon Unit.


      Gag me with a spoon.

      Coulda been Dynamo Hum.

      I'm wondering how my great niece is gonna do later on. Her name is Chevy Shyanne. My niece and all her friends think it's real cute right now but they're all a bunch of swamp muddin' rednecks.


      Why am I not surprised? :lol:
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking & Biking

      Beautiful day here on Long Island and I finally got my bicycle out of the basement for the first ride of the year. I needed to mail some stuff so I rode over to the Post Office, maybe a mile and a half. After that I wandered around this part of town for 6 or 7 miles with one steep hill. It was too steep to ride straight up so I rode back and forth, from side to side as I went up. Kinda like hiking switchbacks instead of going straight up a mountain. I had a lot of fun, but I can tell that I'm gonna be feeling it in my legs tomorrow.
    • Hiking & Biking

      LIhikers wrote:

      Beautiful day here on Long Island and I finally got my bicycle out of the basement for the first ride of the year. I needed to mail some stuff so I rode over to the Post Office, maybe a mile and a half. After that I wandered around this part of town for 6 or 7 miles with one steep hill. It was too steep to ride straight up so I rode back and forth, from side to side as I went up. Kinda like hiking switchbacks instead of going straight up a mountain. I had a lot of fun, but I can tell that I'm gonna be feeling it in my legs tomorrow.


      I have not done that since I had a bicycle with 20" wheels and no gears. Let me guess - you have a road bike and no granny gear chain ring. Am I right?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      CoachLou wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      I was going to sneak in a short walk near RPH, dump my bike and ride back for Saturday, they say rain, and I have to go to a stag. I will ride Sunday.


      What's a stag?

      What do you call a bachelor party in Tennessee?


      Stag party or bachelor party. I haven't heard just "stag" before.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      TrafficJam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      I was going to sneak in a short walk near RPH, dump my bike and ride back for Saturday, they say rain, and I have to go to a stag. I will ride Sunday.


      What's a stag?

      What do you call a bachelor party in Tennessee?


      Stag party or bachelor party. I haven't heard just "stag" before.


      Lazy Yankee-speech
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Re:Hiking & Biking

      CoachLou wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      I was going to sneak in a short walk near RPH, dump my bike and ride back for Saturday, they say rain, and I have to go to a stag. I will ride Sunday.


      What's a stag?

      What do you call a bachelor party in Tennessee?


      Stag party or bachelor party. I haven't heard just "stag" before.


      Lazy Yankee-speech


      Add a few syllables and it'll be redneck-speech.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis