Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Took the maiden voyage today...sweet ride, will take some getting used to, I'm accustomed to dodging things instead of running over them, really quick and responsive, started feeling "one with the bike" after about and hour, did only one swan dive over the bars, not sure exactly what happen, had my finger on the brake and my thumb on the dropper post to lower the seat, must have hit rocks...at any rate, hit the front brake with me up high...a minor scratch and injured pride....was a great day!
      Nice. One day I’d like to try one out.
      It's addictive, one ride with a good bike on a good trail and I'm hooked, better than a roller coaster ride, one of those things where you can't wait to get back out, gotta get some practice in before I ride with my son or I'll get killed.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Took the maiden voyage today...sweet ride, will take some getting used to, I'm accustomed to dodging things instead of running over them, really quick and responsive, started feeling "one with the bike" after about and hour, did only one swan dive over the bars, not sure exactly what happen, had my finger on the brake and my thumb on the dropper post to lower the seat, must have hit rocks...at any rate, hit the front brake with me up high...a minor scratch and injured pride....was a great day!
      Every time I read or hear something like that it reinforces my feelings of not having any interest in mountain biking.But I am glad you enjoyed the new bike......pedal on.
      It wasn't a bad dive, I'd give it a score of 6.5....lacking technical merit.
    • Drybones wrote:

I sent an Email to the Fedex CEO with my complaint, got a response from his "helper," would have responded and given feedback to hopefully be helpful had it been from him...as it is ....screw them! BTW, spoke with someone that supposedly provided instructions for the shipment to be delivered after 2:00 today so my wife would be there....pulled up at 11:45 as the truck was leaving after pasting another note on my door...blocked the truck from leaving and got my bike!!!.
      I really wanted my package from King Arthur Flour by tomorrow. It was shipped fed ex and went from Jasper TN to Ellenwood, GA. Purchased last Friday and expected to arrive this Saturday. WTH? Not a happy camper.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I sent an Email to the Fedex CEO with my complaint, got a response from his "helper," would have responded and given feedback to hopefully be helpful had it been from him...as it is ....screw them! BTW, spoke with someone that supposedly provided instructions for the shipment to be delivered after 2:00 today so my wife would be there....pulled up at 11:45 as the truck was leaving after pasting another note on my door...blocked the truck from leaving and got my bike!!!.
      I really wanted my package from King Arthur Flour by tomorrow. It was shipped fed ex and went from Jasper TN to Ellenwood, GA. Purchased last Friday and expected to arrive this Saturday. WTH? Not a happy camper.
      • lol, first drybones new bike goes to kennesaw, which is about 5 miles from where i live -- and i'm there all the time. now TJ's' flour goes to ellenwood, which is about 40 miles from where i live now - but it was where i first moved to after moving from miami.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

• lol, first drybones new bike goes to kennesaw, which is about 5 miles from where i live -- and i'm there all the time. now TJ's' flour goes to ellenwood, which is about 40 miles from where i live now - but it was where i first moved to after moving from miami.

Enjoy your biking and baking, MP. finger.gif

:P
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Hmmm, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.
      I wonder if Max Patch is mixed up in this some how? :D
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I have the Fedex CEO's email address if you want it. What pissed me off so bad was them leaving a sticker on my door with no instructions, then calling a number on the sticker to get an endless blah, blah, blah trying to sell something. That was enough to warrant an email but when I finally got a CS rep on the phone and she told me (with accent) what was happening next I blew a head gasket.
    • max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Must be your magnetic personality. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Didn't realize how soar my butt was from biking last weekend until I had to ride over a curb several times tuning the rear shock today...took several times before I could keep myself from coming up off the seat. Had to ride the bike down the street to find a usable curb and had the opportunity to put it in high gear (I'll never need it in the woods), reminded me of the old '78 F-150 with mud slingers I used to have, kids in the yard could hear me coming a mile away.
    • Having ridden several century rides on the MTB, I find much more energy is expended due to the heavy knobby wider tires compared to the dedicated road bike.

However the MTB is a great climber due to the deeper gears, but on downhills and level ground good riders on road bikes usually pull away as I'm in top gear and they are able to continue up shifting.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Met a guy about to start the trail and try out a new bike same time as I, stopped on the trail to chew the fat with him and a couple of others about 2 hours in, he said he was shot, hills had worn him out, I never broke a sweat.....the 1x12 drive is soooo sweet!
    • Drybones wrote:

Met a guy about to start the trail and try out a new bike same time as I, stopped on the trail to chew the fat with him and a couple of others about 2 hours in, he said he was shot, hills had worn him out, I never broke a sweat.....the 1x12 drive is soooo sweet!
      I can relate, hills wheather riding or walking kill me...got no hams, quads or gluets, my hips grind and my big toe hurts...whutta ya gonna do.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Met a guy about to start the trail and try out a new bike same time as I, stopped on the trail to chew the fat with him and a couple of others about 2 hours in, he said he was shot, hills had worn him out, I never broke a sweat.....the 1x12 drive is soooo sweet!
      I can relate, hills wheather riding or walking kill me...got no hams, quads or gluets, my hips grind and my big toe hurts...whutta ya gonna do.
      Physical Therapy? :/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Took the ride out for the second time today after tuning the suspension a little and reducing tire air pressure from 40 psi to 22, unbelievable difference, especially from the reduced tire pressure, has a nice cushy ride now....did crash into one tree though, no real damage to me or the bike.
    • Drybones wrote:

Took the ride out for the second time today after tuning the suspension a little and reducing tire air pressure from 40 psi to 22, unbelievable difference, especially from the reduced tire pressure, has a nice cushy ride now....did crash into one tree though, no real damage to me or the bike.
      Hey I crashed into a tree today too, cool :thumbup:

But I didn’t get mines backn yet :thumbdown:

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…?postID=124074#post124074
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Ugh! I ordered a zipper 9 days ago. Max Patch, where’s my zipper!?!
      I ordered the 2018 guide book in November. Guess that got sucked into the Max Patch Bermuda Triangle too
      If it is AWOL, I heard (read ) they are shipping next week.
      That is unless Max already has them. :D
      I just got an email saying it shipped, so I guess it'll end up at Max's in a couple of days. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Ugh! I ordered a zipper 9 days ago. Max Patch, where’s my zipper!?!
      I ordered the 2018 guide book in November. Guess that got sucked into the Max Patch Bermuda Triangle too
      If it is AWOL, I heard (read ) they are shipping next week.That is unless Max already has them. :D
      I just got an email saying it shipped, so I guess it'll end up at Max's in a couple of days. :)
      i'm still using my 2014 companion -- i could use the upgrade. thanks, JJ.! :)
      2,000 miler
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Ha! Got it today!

Damn... 11 days and still waiting for a zipper.
      what kind and size do you need? I have a few laying around unattached. :)
      A burgundy one, and 20”. Size matters.
      Hahaha, I think I have a blue one about that long. I can check tomorrow.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Did about 20 mountain biking miles yesterday on the Coldwater Trail system, crashed once on the Bomb Dog Trail, could have been a career ender had it been in the rocks, very sharp hairpin curve with 45* bank on the downhill, don't know exactly what happened it was so fast, but as I came off the bank there was a sharp dip I hadn't counted on, my head was the first thing to hit the ground followed by the bike landing on top of me, I was expecting to be black and blue this morning and very sore but it wasn't that bad. I have concluded I need another biker with me when doing this type riding in case I must be shot or drug out. I watched the Youtube video below to see if I could recognize the crash site...believe it was minute 4:50, possibly 6:40.

• Drybones wrote:

Did about 20 mountain biking miles yesterday on the Coldwater Trail system, crashed once on the Bomb Dog Trail, could have been a career ender had it been in the rocks, very sharp hairpin curve with 45* bank on the downhill, don't know exactly what happened it was so fast, but as I came off the bank there was a sharp dip I hadn't counted on, my head was the first thing to hit the ground followed by the bike landing on top of me, I was expecting to be black and blue this morning and very sore but it wasn't that bad. I have concluded I need another biker with me when doing this type riding in case I must be shot or drug out. I watched the Youtube video below to see if I could recognize the crash site...believe it was minute 4:50, possibly 6:40.

I ride similar routes in the Unitas and Wasatch Mts. Though I usually ride up the trail prior to descending.

Most of riding partners will shuttle to the top and then ride down.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Did about 20 mountain biking miles yesterday on the Coldwater Trail system, crashed once on the Bomb Dog Trail, could have been a career ender had it been in the rocks, very sharp hairpin curve with 45* bank on the downhill, don't know exactly what happened it was so fast, but as I came off the bank there was a sharp dip I hadn't counted on, my head was the first thing to hit the ground followed by the bike landing on top of me, I was expecting to be black and blue this morning and very sore but it wasn't that bad. I have concluded I need another biker with me when doing this type riding in case I must be shot or drug out. I watched the Youtube video below to see if I could recognize the crash site...believe it was minute 4:50, possibly 6:40.

I ride similar routes in the Unitas and Wasatch Mts. Though I usually ride up the trail prior to descending.
      Most of riding partners will shuttle to the top and then ride down.
      A shuttle would have been nice but I had to work hard for this ride.
    • My local bike shop has sample seats for trusted customers.

Though fortunately I have little issue with seats. I've used a Brooks B17 for several years by transferring it to each of my bikes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC