Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i think i'll be doing a lot more biking this year than in recent years.

right now the longest i've been able to hike is 3 miles; and that knocks me out out of commission for a few days. i need to keep it at 2 miles if i plan on hiking on consecutive days.

i've been able to bike for an hour with no ill effects.

but biking is sooo boring; at least to me.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i think i'll be doing a lot more biking this year than in recent years.

right now the longest i've been able to hike is 3 miles; and that knocks me out out of commission for a few days. i need to keep it at 2 miles if i plan on hiking on consecutive days.

Have you tried a spin class? Or a greenway so you can bike outside? (Assuming you’re talking about a stationary bike or one on a trainer.)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Have you tried a spin class? Or a greenway so you can bike outside? (Assuming you’re talking about a stationary bike or one on a trainer.)
      i'm riding my road bike on the silver comet trail. i'm not comfortable taking my mountain bike into the woods yet.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'm riding my road bike on the silver comet trail. i'm not comfortable taking my mountain bike into the woods yet.
      why? Is it worry of it being stolen?
    • Jake Ace wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

max.patch wrote:

no...i'm afraid i'll be in the middle of the woods and my back will go out. and when it goes -- man o man it hurts. :(
      2,000 miler
    • Here's the bike I'm ichin to get for a ride across the USA
      Imagine it with racks front and rear as well as fenders, lights, rear view mirror and a bell.
      Then I could load it with panniers, a handle bar bag, clothes, tent and sleeping bag and everything else I'd need to spend months on the road crossing the USA

[IMG:https://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/surly-disc-trucker-18-BK3115-sv-930x390.jpg]
    • Don’t know your planned routing, but months? I’ve estimated the southern route will take 40-45 days with the northern route upwards to 50 days dependent on weather issues.

Most likely a ride across America will occur prior to completing the AT.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

max.patch wrote:

no...i'm afraid i'll be in the middle of the woods and my back will go out. and when it goes -- man o man it hurts. :(
      ah gotcha, yup, not good.
    • Drybones wrote:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new trail bike, has everything I wanted except 29" wheels, which I'm not sure I should want in the first place.

canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spectral/2018/spectral-al-6-0

I went with the stealth grey instead of hellfire red.
      I like the 27.5 tires. 26” tires, rims, and tubes are down to minimum stocking in most bike shops. My LBS owner riding buddy says he’ll always have access to 26” product line but at a lower price point. Not a problem for me as I can build 26” rims, but premium tires are getting scarce. But I do have a rather nice 26” MTB which cannot be retro fitted to 27.5.

Interesting gearing...1X12. But I find myself primarily in middle range unless I need a serious climbing ratio so it makes sense.

The depicted trail appears to be as rugged as some of the trails I’ve helped construct within the Wasatch Range. However most of my riding partners truck pool to the trailhead, ride down, and return via pickup for a second run. I’m usually with one or two others riding uphill to the trailhead which is a problem. Uphill riders have the right-of-way but most downhillers ride kamikaze style and expect folks to bail upon their approach. I’ve witnessed some heated discussions on the subject.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Don’t know your planned routing, but months? I’ve estimated the southern route will take 40-45 days with the northern route upwards to 50 days dependent on weather issues.

Most likely a ride across America will occur prior to completing the AT.
      Yep, months.
      I want to start in the Pacific North West and ride east on the northern route.
      Then I'd turn south until I got to my wife's sister who lives just a little south of Denver.
      Then I'd ride south until hitting the southern route where I'd head east to Austin, Texas where I'd visit with the wife's brother.
      Then I'd go east until I turn north on the Underground Railroad route and take that to my son's place in Ohio.
      From there it would be homeward bound, going east toward New York City and continuing onto Long Island

I'm sure I'd want to stop at some of the National Parks along the way too.
      I haven't estimated mileage but it will be considerably more than just a cross country ride.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new trail bike, has everything I wanted except 29" wheels, which I'm not sure I should want in the first place.

I like the 27.5 tires. 26” tires, rims, and tubes are down to minimum stocking in most bike shops. My LBS owner riding buddy says he’ll always have access to 26” product line but at a lower price point. Not a problem for me as I can build 26” rims, but premium tires are getting scarce. But I do have a rather nice 26” MTB which cannot be retro fitted to 27.5.
      Interesting gearing...1X12. But I find myself primarily in middle range unless I need a serious climbing ratio so it makes sense.

The depicted trail appears to be as rugged as some of the trails I’ve helped construct within the Wasatch Range. However most of my riding partners truck pool to the trailhead, ride down, and return via pickup for a second run. I’m usually with one or two others riding uphill to the trailhead which is a problem. Uphill riders have the right-of-way but most downhillers ride kamikaze style and expect folks to bail upon their approach. I’ve witnessed some heated discussions on the subject.
      I believe I'll really like the 1x12....32/50 low gear should be able to climb a tree and the 32/10 high gear should get me down the road pretty well.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I like the 27.5 tires. 26” tires, rims, and tubes are down to minimum stocking in most bike shops. My LBS owner riding buddy says he’ll always have access to 26” product line but at a lower price point. Not a problem for me as I can build 26” rims, but premium tires are getting scarce. But I do have a rather nice 26” MTB which cannot be retro fitted to 27.5.Interesting gearing...1X12. But I find myself primarily in middle range unless I need a serious climbing ratio so it makes sense.

I believe I'll really like the 1x12....32/50 low gear should be able to climb a tree and the 32/10 high gear should get me down the road pretty well.
      A 50 tooth cog? really?
      That's gotta be one looooong rear derailleur, I would think it would be a problem on a mountain bike
    • Since reading this post, I talked with my LBS owner buddy. He says no problem with the derailleur on a 1x12 cassette as long as folks clean and lube properly. Of course when the cable stretches, he’ll clean, lube, and adjust at no cost the 1st time.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

The rare times I use a bike trainer, a MP3 loaded with a book allows me to endure the activity.
      i've tried to listen to books when hiking and i just can't do it -- i start daydreaming and realize i haven't paid attention to the book for awhile -- so i have to "rewind" (what do we call "rewind" when it's digital?) and start over. it was tough for me to get thru the 3 books i had when i tried out audible. i can do podcasts -- cuz when i miss something -- no big deal! if i was a kid i'd probably be diagnosed with ADD.
      2,000 miler
    • Boy did I get in a bad mood when I got home today....I was expecting a new bike, Fedex left a sticker on the door, nothing checked or directions given, no explanation, called the number on the sticker and got a bullshit auto for ten minutes, threw the phone down and cursed for ten minutes, finally got a live person, she told me they would come by each day for 3 more days and leave the same fuc******sticker on my door, then tell me I had to drive 40 miles to pick the package up...talk about the perfect business model to piss off a customer who has been working all day and in need of a drink....I will never again use or buy a product shipped Fedex.....never had a problem with UPS.
    • Drybones wrote:

Boy did I get in a bad mood when I got home today....I was expecting a new bike, Fedex left a sticker on the door, nothing checked or directions given, no explanation, called the number on the sticker and got a bullshit auto for ten minutes, threw the phone down and cursed for ten minutes, finally got a live person, she told me they would come by each day for 3 more days and leave the same fuc******sticker on my door, then tell me I had to drive 40 miles to pick the package up...talk about the perfect business model to piss off a customer who has been working all day and in need of a drink....I will never again use or buy a product shipped Fedex.....never had a problem with UPS.
      I used to work for one of the large shipping companies.
      Trust me when I say they all have their problems.
      Buy enough stuff and eventually you'll have trouble with them all.
    • I sent an Email to the Fedex CEO with my complaint, got a response from his "helper," would have responded and given feedback to hopefully be helpful had it been from him...as it is ....screw them! BTW, spoke with someone that supposedly provided instructions for the shipment to be delivered after 2:00 today so my wife would be there....pulled up at 11:45 as the truck was leaving after pasting another note on my door...blocked the truck from leaving and got my bike!!!.
    • Drybones wrote:

I sent an Email to the Fedex CEO with my complaint, got a response from his "helper," would have responded and given feedback to hopefully be helpful had it been from him...as it is ....screw them! BTW, spoke with someone that supposedly provided instructions for the shipment to be delivered after 2:00 today so my wife would be there....pulled up at 11:45 as the truck was leaving after pasting another note on my door...blocked the truck from leaving and got my bike!!!.
      Pictures of the new bike?

It might be warm enough to ride on Sunday. :thumbsup:
    • Drybones wrote:

I sent an Email to the Fedex CEO with my complaint, got a response from his "helper," would have responded and given feedback to hopefully be helpful had it been from him...as it is ....screw them! BTW, spoke with someone that supposedly provided instructions for the shipment to be delivered after 2:00 today so my wife would be there....pulled up at 11:45 as the truck was leaving after pasting another note on my door...blocked the truck from leaving and got my bike!!!.
      Hey, I hope you have miles of smiles on the new bike.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Hey, if it is a brand new bike, probably a much higher initial tolerance for cold. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I brought the new baby home from the shop today, tomorrow we take the maiden voyage. This is the trail I will ride first. I plan to gradually slide into this with the unrealistic hope I will not totally bust my a$$ and be laid up for a month. This is like a drivers ed student being given Jeff Gordon's #24 to learn on.

• Took the maiden voyage today...sweet ride, will take some getting used to, I'm accustomed to dodging things instead of running over them, really quick and responsive, started feeling "one with the bike" after about and hour, did only one swan dive over the bars, not sure exactly what happen, had my finger on the brake and my thumb on the dropper post to lower the seat, must have hit rocks...at any rate, hit the front brake with me up high...a minor scratch and injured pride....was a great day!
      Images
      • 20180121_123219.jpg

277.54 kB, 800×450, viewed 278 times
    • Drybones wrote:

Took the maiden voyage today...sweet ride, will take some getting used to, I'm accustomed to dodging things instead of running over them, really quick and responsive, started feeling "one with the bike" after about and hour, did only one swan dive over the bars, not sure exactly what happen, had my finger on the brake and my thumb on the dropper post to lower the seat, must have hit rocks...at any rate, hit the front brake with me up high...a minor scratch and injured pride....was a great day!
      Nice. One day I’d like to try one out.
    • Drybones wrote:

Took the maiden voyage today...sweet ride, will take some getting used to, I'm accustomed to dodging things instead of running over them, really quick and responsive, started feeling "one with the bike" after about and hour, did only one swan dive over the bars, not sure exactly what happen, had my finger on the brake and my thumb on the dropper post to lower the seat, must have hit rocks...at any rate, hit the front brake with me up high...a minor scratch and injured pride....was a great day!
      Every time I read or hear something like that it reinforces my feelings of not having any interest in mountain biking.
      But I am glad you enjoyed the new bike......pedal on.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Every time I read or hear something like that it reinforces my feelings of not having any interest in mountain biking.But I am glad you enjoyed the new bike......pedal on.
      lol, when i got my last mountain bike the guy at rei looked at me and said "you're not going to be jumping over creeks are you?". those days are done. there are plenty of trails where you're not going "balls to the wall". my mountain biking these days is -- at most -- one step above riding on forest service roads.
      2,000 miler