Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking & Biking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

3 people hiked 11 miles on the BMT yesterday and ended up with 30 ticks between the 3 of them.

might just be a good year miss the BMT...
      I did get out for a few days in Slickrock wilderness last weekend. The BMT was overgrown but nothing above my waist. The side trails were another story and I had to wade through brush like you might through a cornfield, lol. Not a single tick...they don't like me . <knocking on wood>
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

3 people hiked 11 miles on the BMT yesterday and ended up with 30 ticks between the 3 of them.

I was pleasingly surprised, we hiked two days in the Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock area this week end, part of it on the BMT, and didn''t see a tick, even though wading though a lot of grass.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Due to personal circumstances, this year is a bad hiking year for me. It's highly doubtful that I'll complete the BMT. Admittedly, this circumstance gets me really down so I'm trying to focus on the things I can do, like biking and running.

I'm signed up for a 50 mi ride in a few weeks. It's not the first time riding that distance but has been a few years. My comfort zone is under 40. Anything after that really wears me out.

The problem isn't necessarily the distance, it's the hill climbing, and this route has a lot of hills. Add in July heat and humidity and I'm getting worried. I don't want it to be a miserable experience...last time I stopped and cried a mile from the finish (and I don't cry very often).
      The BMT will still be there next year for you. :) I wish you well on your bike ride, and here is to hoping the last 10 miles are downhill, or at least flat.
      With a tailwind.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I was pleasingly surprised, we hiked two days in the Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock area this week end, part of it on the BMT, and didn''t see a tick, even though wading though a lot of grass.
      Cool! I must have just missed you. What route did you do? What did you think of the area?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Cool! I must have just missed you. What route did you do? What did you think of the area?
      Azaleas in full bloom on Stratton bald, Rhoda????? just beginning to open, did lots of water crossing the first day, had a great group to sip bourbon with at night...don't get much better than that.
      Images
      • 600_462077232.jpeg

92.56 kB, 600×338, viewed 334 times
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Azaleas in full bloom on Stratton bald, Rhoda????? just beginning to open, did lots of water crossing the first day, had a great group to sip bourbon with at night...don't get much better than that.
      I camped on Stratton bald...was the only one there. Sipped bourbon alone. Beautiful sunset.
      Images
      • IMG_6382.JPG

131.17 kB, 800×600, viewed 333 times
      • IMG_6347.JPG

361.82 kB, 800×600, viewed 334 times
      • IMG_6343.JPG

191.75 kB, 800×600, viewed 325 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I camped on Stratton bald...was the only one there. Sipped bourbon alone. Beautiful sunset.
      We set up a base camp on FS81 at the "shelter" and day hiked from there, did a 13+ mile loop hike on Snowbird Trail the first day, went to the bald, Hangover, and made a loop hike in that area the second day...BTW, did you leave a pot on the bald, large pot with a stick laying on top as if someone left it for future use.
      Images
      • 600_462077225.jpeg

57.71 kB, 600×338, viewed 325 times
      • 600_462077228.jpeg

69.21 kB, 600×338, viewed 308 times
      • 600_462077235.jpeg

96.35 kB, 600×338, viewed 326 times
      • 600_462077615.jpeg

61.74 kB, 600×338, viewed 329 times
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

We set up a base camp on FS81 at the "shelter" and day hiked from there, did a 13+ mile loop hike on Snowbird Trail the first day, went to the bald, Hangover, and made a loop hike in that area the second day...BTW, did you leave a pot on the bald, large pot with a stick laying on top as if someone left it for future use.
      Sounds fun. The pot did not belong to me.
    • Did another BC of D ride. Got in 40 miles although it was relatively flat. Rode from Walland TN, halfway up to Cade's Cove, down to Tremont Institute, back to Walland.

It started off foggy and I nearly turned back in Townsend but then I wiped my glasses off . The fog was burned off by the time I hit the Smokies.

My legs and neck were sore and tired by the end. Still undecided about the 50 miler. It's not a matter of whether I can do it, but the degree of misery I'm willing to undertake.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't carry bourbon when I hike??????
      In winter time I'll carry blackberry brandy to warm up with, but not in the warm weather.
    • LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't carry bourbon when I hike??????In winter time I'll carry blackberry brandy to warm up with, but not in the warm weather.
      Is that a rhetorical question? :D
    • NoAngel wrote:

wow what a ride. I don't think my butt could take a 40 miler unless I stood up the last 20.
      Same here, my legs don't get tired, but my butt wears out after about 30 miles, biked with a friend two week ends ago, he said he'd bring a seat...or a saddle as he corrected me...for me to try next ride, I told him I paid $300 for the bike, the saddle he's bringing cost $360...he has a $500 one, I asked what kind of padding expecting something exotic, he said it had none, just carbon fiber, we're talking about doing the Katy trail in MO when the weather cools, lots of towns along the way...JJ might like this ride...I'm thinking bar to bar ride.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

A few more pics.
      Images
      • 600_462077216.jpeg

81.43 kB, 600×337, viewed 318 times
      • highres_462077233.jpeg

147.3 kB, 800×450, viewed 319 times
      • highres_462077234.jpeg

150.13 kB, 800×450, viewed 318 times
      • highres_462077236.jpeg

163.77 kB, 800×450, viewed 323 times
      • highres_462077618.jpeg

89.67 kB, 800×450, viewed 304 times
    • Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

wow what a ride. I don't think my butt could take a 40 miler unless I stood up the last 20.
      Same here, my legs don't get tired, but my butt wears out after about 30 miles, biked with a friend two week ends ago, he said he'd bring a seat...or a saddle as he corrected me...for me to try next ride, I told him I paid $300 for the bike, the saddle he's bringing cost $360...he has a $500 one, I asked what kind of padding expecting something exotic, he said it had none, just carbon fiber, we're talking about doing the Katy trail in MO when the weather cools, lots of towns along the way...JJ might like this ride...I'm thinking bar to bar ride.
      I've used a Brooks saddle on several bikes and can report once broken in yields great comfort and is far less than $300.

The Katy Trail is a goood for all capabilities. About a 2% grade across MO with frequent places to overnight. A couple of years ago a legislator attempted legislation to open the Katy to motorized vehicles. I wrote a letter detailing how much my group spent on our 5day ride on the Katy and explained not one of us would return if bicyclists had to contend with such traffic due to the attendant dust, concern for our safety, and noise. As I did not hear from him, don.'t know if his effort succeeded.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Hey coach, what size tires have you got on that bike?
      I don't think I'd do the C+O with tires less than 28mm.
      Some of it has a kinda rough surface with rocks and roots and holes and mud and.............

On the other hand the Great Allegheny Passage, which the C+O runs into in Cumberland Maryland, has a much nicer surface.
    • I took my new Nashbar Flatbar for a maiden ride today, a friend and I did 48 miles on the Cheif Ladiga Trail, road from Piedmont,AL to Cedartown,GA, had lunch at a great little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, had a great meal... chicken and dressing, turnip greens, mash potatoes & gravy, and cornbread...only down side was no beer. The bike my friend was riding is the same bike the Trek pro team rides, the last 10 miles coming back he put it in high gear and was a spot in the distance in no time, I was going 17/18 MPH and he left me in his dust.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Retro bikes are the In Thing among the college crowd/hipsters/huppies right now. Which one are you Coach?
      hipster
      I thought I made up that huppie word. I was thinkin' a cross between a hippie and a yuppie but apparently someone thought of it before me. It's impossible to be original these days.
      just be yourself. I'm quite sure you're an original.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • NoAngel wrote:

Pedaling over to Dunkin for my iced coffee and donut fix. Gotta have a dunkin. :)
      Upon arrival to Utah, I met a group of night owls whom would either snowshoe or bicycle across the campus during the late evening hours. We'd then gather at the Starbucks to swap stories. However SB shifted pm closing from midnight to 7:30 and we had no place to go. However later on a Dunkin opened down the block and we'd meet there. Just recently DD changed closing time from 11:30 to 7.:30 so once again we are on the street.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My sexy new bike, kinda fits my personality, I once paid an extra $100 to get the same truck without the fake mud splashes they charge extra for and wouldn't buy a Maxima until they took the pin strips off, guess I'm what you'd call a bland person...$300 for the bike, aluminum frame, disc brakes, rides well...which reminds me of a story...sister-in-law was buying a dog and was concerned about the drive home with the dog and asked if he road well...owners reply....he's sired three litters.
      Images
      • IMG_2401.JPG

163.94 kB, 800×600, viewed 251 times
    • I'm beginning to understand the significance of seat design, my buddy that did the 48 mile ride with me weighs 313 lbs and was sitting on a banana with no padding, my butt was sore and he said he could go 100 miles and would be fine, I'll try something different next time out.
    • Drybones wrote:

I'm beginning to understand the significance of seat design, my buddy that did the 48 mile ride with me weighs 313 lbs and was sitting on a banana with no padding, my butt was sore and he said he could go 100 miles and would be fine, I'll try something different next time out.
      A good saddle is important. People can have all kinds of problems including permanent numbness in their genitals, sexual dysfunction, etc. I replaced my stock saddle with a better one and can ride with minimal to no padding.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm beginning to understand the significance of seat design, my buddy that did the 48 mile ride with me weighs 313 lbs and was sitting on a banana with no padding, my butt was sore and he said he could go 100 miles and would be fine, I'll try something different next time out.
      A good saddle is important. People can have all kinds of problems including permanent numbness in their genitals, sexual dysfunction, etc. I replaced my stock saddle with a better one and can ride with minimal to no padding.
      Yikes!!!!!!!! Don't won't no numbness down under.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference