Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

Last year I was camped with a group of about 13 at Dick's Creek. There was a hammock hanger set up at the far back on the edge of the clearing that slopes steeply down to the creek. In the middle of the night, while he was asleep, his hammock split in two and he rolled down the bank almost into the creek.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Not on the trail but heard a good one today from a couple of Bostonians up at the pool. One says to the other how long does it stay light here? Her response was till it gets darrrk. No 46.gif Not 3 hours ago.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

Not on the trail but heard a good one today from a couple of Bostonians up at the pool. One says to the other how long does it stay light here? Her response was till it gets darrrk. No 46.gif Not 3 hours ago.

husband gets text from wife "windows frozen."
      he texts back: "try pouring hot water on it."
      wife texts back "computer now fried."
      its all good
    • Re:What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I got told I was doing it all wrong by some asshat at the grand prix hotel in Gatlinburg because I was section hiking instead of through hiking

what is this "through hiking" you speak of?

I am through hiking when I stop for the night.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

While hiking the Mahosucs on my thru I ran into a couple I hadn't seen since VA. on Goose eye. As we caught up with each other an outward bound group departed the summit. When we caught up with them on the next peak it was hyserical. One person tried to slide down the granite, schreding his jeans. One was crawling down backwards as we walked by. The best was one girl that looked down the slope. Took her pack off & heaved it down. When it stopped bouncing she walked down to it & thre it again! :dry:

That night as dusk was setting in we became concerned about the group since they planned on camping at the end of the notch. Just as someone mentioned it a boy came running up the hill sans pack & past the shelter & down the side trail to the spring. As we looked at each other thinking WTF a female instructor came up the hill & was kinda hopping around looking in different directions. We all pointed towards where the boy ran & she was off. Rest of the group showed up & started camping. The kid had freaked out, wanted no longer to be a part of the group, dropped his pack & bailed. After dinner I helped look for him. Found him along with several of the kids from the group & talked him into returning to the group.

A lot of you have probably heard these two already, but here are my favorites from the last few years:

1) I caught up to my hiking buddy's pack on the side of the trail, but he wasn't with it. I looked around and spotted him about 50 feet into the woods with his pants around his ankles (I soon learned that some minor stomach bug had left him without control of his bowels).
      When I shouted to ask if he was alright he replied "Dave, I think I left a trace."

2) I crossed paths with an older backpacker in Georgia back in October. When he walked by he stopped to say good morning. I replied "Good morning, how are you?" and he said, "Well the ground is under my boots and not over my head, so it's a good day."
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Re:Re: What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

A lot of you have probably heard these two already, but here are my favorites from the last few years:

1) I caught up to my hiking buddy's pack on the side of the trail, but he wasn't with it. I looked around and spotted him about 50 feet into the woods with his pants around his ankles (I soon learned that some minor stomach bug had left him without control of his bowels).
      When I shouted to ask if he was alright he replied "Dave, I think I left a trace."

2) I crossed paths with an older backpacker in Georgia back in October. When he walked by he stopped to say good morning. I replied "Good morning, how are you?" and he said, "Well the ground is under my boots and not over my head, so it's a good day."

Good one. Both of them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

Rasty wrote:

I got told I was doing it all wrong by some asshat at the grand prix hotel in Gatlinburg because I was section hiking instead of through hiking

I hate ass hats.....

[IMG:http://www.wallyconger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/asshat.jpg]

And Sarcasm - you continue to make my day!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re:Re: Re:What's the funniest thing you've seen or heard?

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Vegetarians lead healthy lives.... ?

I've never met a vegan that didn't look anemic....

They don't even look good enough to eat

We had a zero day in Delaware Water Gap at the same time as some other thruhikers, one of whom was a vegetarian. She declined my request for a side by side photo with her wearing her "no meat athlete" t shirt and me wearing my Cabelas "Hey vegetarians, my food poops on your food!" one.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

We had a zero day in Delaware Water Gap at the same time as some other thruhikers, one of whom was a vegetarian. She declined my request for a side by side photo with her wearing her "no meat athlete" t shirt and me wearing my Cabelas "Hey vegetarians, my food poops on your food!" one.

I would say that she has poor taste.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I like veggies okay, but in both of these cases they don't sound tasty to me.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.