Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The spoon thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The spoon thread

I use a 13 gram tablespoon from a set of stamped stainless steel measuring spoons. It works well with my Halulite Minimalist pot. It is small enough to stay in the pot with the lid on, and just long enough to retrieve from two cups of boiled water without scalding my fingers. When I stir up some Ramen, I place it vertically against the wall and let the end stick through the sipping hole in the lid, until the noodles soften. Works good with noodles, oatmeal, and hot chocolate. A little short for Mountain House, but usable.

I can measure two cups of water by a widening near the end of the handle.

This spoon weighs the same as some titanium spoons, but the handle is shorter. That is what I get for going cheap light, not ultra light.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • The spoon thread

stoviewander wrote:

I use a 13 gram tablespoon from a set of stamped stainless steel measuring spoons. It works well with my Halulite Minimalist pot. It is small enough to stay in the pot with the lid on, and just long enough to retrieve from two cups of boiled water without scalding my fingers. When I stir up some Ramen, I place it vertically against the wall and let the end stick through the sipping hole in the lid, until the noodles soften. Works good with noodles, oatmeal, and hot chocolate. A little short for Mountain House, but usable.

This spoon weighs the same as some titanium spoons, but the handle is shorter. That is what I get for going cheap light, not ultra light.

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on doing it all wrong, which is high praise on this site. Good to have more opinions to draw from. gif.004
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • The spoon thread

stoviewander wrote:

All that matters is that it works for you. Good first post. Welcome to the café.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • The spoon thread

I have a sea to summit long handle titanium spoon with a not so smooth finish, I don't like it...So, went out and bought a REI plastic long handle spoon for about 1/4 the price I paid for the heaven titanium one...It works great when there's foods to be et. Not a clue what it weighs.
    • The spoon thread

rocksNsocks wrote:

I have a sea to summit long handle titanium spoon with a not so smooth finish, I don't like it...So, went out and bought a REI plastic long handle spoon for about 1/4 the price I paid for the heaven titanium one...It works great when there's foods to be et. Not a clue what it weighs.

I've got this one for Christmas. Don't know what it cost. It has a smooth finish. Kinda heavy though. It weighs 293.2148 grains.http://www.huntersemporium.com/optimus-8016166-titanium-long-spoon/
    • The spoon thread

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on doing it all wrong, which is high praise on this site. Good to have more opinions to draw from. gif.004

What would a gram weenie (by your own admission) be doing with a spoon :) ? I went without a stove during my yo-yo of the Maryland AT. My pack weighed 12 pounds with a few days of food. I went 26 miles south the first day, and stopped when I ran out of daylight.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • The spoon thread

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I've got this one for Christmas. Don't know what it cost. It has a smooth finish. Kinda heavy though. It weighs 293.2148 grains.http://www.huntersemporium.com/optimus-8016166-titanium-long-spoon/
      oooh, dual purpose, you could comb your hair with that. Now I'd re-think the metal one seeing that. pun...well, you know.

good find
    • The spoon thread

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

What would a gram weenie (by your own admission) be doing with a spoon :) ? I went without a stove during my yo-yo of the Maryland AT. My pack weighed 12 pounds with a few days of food. I went 26 miles south the first day, and stopped when I ran out of daylight.

A true gram weenie scoffs at a spoon. A true gram weenie would just use their bare hand and scoop out the food and smash it into their face like a homeless pickpocket eating gruel in a Charles Dickens novel.
    • The spoon thread

milkman wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

A true gram weenie scoffs at a spoon. A true gram weenie would just use their bare hand and scoop out the food and smash it into their face like a homeless pickpocket eating gruel in a Charles Dickens novel.
      yep, and they'd ditch the TP as well...eat with the right, clean up with the left...beware the dyslexic arm wrasslers.
    • The spoon thread

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

yep, and they'd ditch the TP as well...eat with the right, clean up with the left...beware the dyslexic arm wrasslers.

You guys are making me think that I am not a true gram weenie. STOP IT!!!! 2.gif
    • The spoon thread

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

You guys are making me think that I am not a true gram weenie. STOP IT!!!! 2.gif
      I love the spoon you made...just like Richard Proenneke

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?s_chn=prt_ct5&v_t=comsearch&page=5&q=richard+proenneke&oreq=853be3fc1c1e4caaaa75cbd846036647
    • Re:The spoon thread

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

No... the tape is not touching the scale or spoon. I love homemade stuff... especially when it is better than expensive bought stuff. On a related note I love my knit hat, ditty bags, and survival bracelets.

I feel the need to brag again. :whistle:

Being good is difficult when you keep using weenie and spoon in the same sentence.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

No... the tape is not touching the scale or spoon. I love homemade stuff... especially when it is better than expensive bought stuff. On a related note I love my knit hat, ditty bags, and survival bracelets.

I feel the need to brag again. :whistle:

Being good is difficult when you keep using weenie and spoon in the same sentence.

My hiking partner said he would take my word that I was a gram weenie. I have no pride. My wife loves me and that is all that matters.

Missed the spoon reference the 1st go around. Had to come back and edit it. gif.010 again.

Those of you with long spoons - where do they go in the pack? I sometimes carry a spork from a GSI cook set, because the collapsing handle lets it fit in my Grease Pot. I have various other spoons that I like better but don't seem to have a graceful way to pack them.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Re:Re: Re:The spoon thread

AnotherKevin wrote:

Those of you with long spoons - where do they go in the pack? I sometimes carry a spork from a GSI cook set, because the collapsing handle lets it fit in my Grease Pot. I have various other spoons that I like better but don't seem to have a graceful way to pack them.

I put mine in my coozie envelope that i use for FBC . It goes flat against my back or in the food bag which goes next to my back
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I put mine in my coozie envelope that i use for FBC . It goes flat against my back or in the food bag which goes next to my back

Hmm. I'd have thought that the fork tines or spoon handle might poke holes in the Reflectix, but maybe it's worth a try. Thanks!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Hmm. I'd have thought that the fork tines or spoon handle might poke holes in the Reflectix, but maybe it's worth a try. Thanks!
      my spoon goes in the food bag inside the opsak liner
      its all good

AnotherKevin wrote:

Mine goes in the net pouch on the back of my pack beside my cozy. I also keep my journal, maps, compass, and chair in there. The spoon tucks in nicely and is well protected. Perhaps I will post a picture when at home.

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'm trying one of these:
      http://www.oxo.com/p-1234-wooden-small-spoon.aspx#

8 1/8" long, 0.8 oz

i dunno. it looks high maintenance, says "hand wash only"

I guess that means you just can't lick it and stick it.

I use my pants to clean my spoon
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123