Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

should the atc promote thru hiking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• should the atc promote thru hiking?

this whole passport thing has me scratching my head. with more and more people hitting springer every spring, the campsites are already overcrowded . we've got the walk in the woods movie coming out which will add to the throngs of clueless wanderers, and now this whole passport idea- a nice souvenir perhaps,but apparently many of these stamps need to be collected at locations that are off trail.
      so in promoting thru hiking, the atc is now encouraging getting off the trail as much as possible?
      imo,it encourages this tick list mentality, rather than hike for the hike itself, to hike for the "accomplishment"
      does thru hiking need any more promotion?
      its all good

LoboSolo wrote:

and this passport thing is dumb. you're gonna have a bunch of hikers knockin' on hostel doors to get a stamp with no intention of staying there

Hmm, I thought it was the business's decision whether to be included in the program. I could see some business owners wanting to bring potential customers to their doors. You could be right that it'll bring only non-customers, or entirely the wrong sort of customer.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

I'm a selfish introvert. I wish there was some way to have the trail closed on those occasions that I have the chance to get up there and walk on some of it so that I have it all to myself. I don't want to see the numbers increased! I think fondly of what it must have been like years ago when it was mostly a secret!

CaptNat wrote:

I'm a selfish introvert. I wish there was some way to have the trail closed on those occasions that I have the chance to get up there and walk on some of it so that I have it all to myself. I don't want to see the numbers increased! I think fondly of what it must have been like years ago when it was mostly a secret!
      you can still do that if you go off season, and of course, theres tons of trails to get lost on where you wont see a soul for days. ive blueblazed the whites in nh in august primetime on trails where i didnt see more than one or two people a day.by contrast the 100 mile "wilderness" was so crowded in august i laughed when i originally had thought of the section as "remote"
      thats why i chose the bmt to start my hike this year.
      its all good