Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whats in the bowl bitch

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whats in the bowl bitch

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

So what kinda foods will your families be having on Christmas morning (on the trail or off)

I like bagels with Lox, bout the only time I get Lox anymore, love em!

Maybe WOO can find some freeze dried lasagna...................................... :sick:

I still haven't made that Camp Cheesecake yet!
      I've had it before, it's not bad after a long day hiking...though your already spoiled what with the real stuff you get at home. I's definitely way better than freeze dried ice cream.

rocksNsocks wrote:

So what kinda foods will your families be having on Christmas morning (on the trail or off)

I like to make a blueberry brunch cake for Christmas morning. Although first we have breakfast burritos with filling of scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, tomatoes, green onion and avocado.

Now you've made me very hungry. :P

rocksNsocks wrote:

I wonder how many of us associate bagels and lox with Christmas. I know I do - because the Jewish bakery in my neighbourhood was the only place open on Christmas! (Heaven forbid Christmas should fall on a Saturday, we'd have to bake stuff at home, which then got in the way of having stuff in the oven early for Christmas dinner and wound up starting a fight among the aunties.)

And - what's in the bitch's bowl is probably dogfood. I haven't checked. I have cats nowadays.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

The kids have offered me and the other half a free week in the Caymans but I'll have to stay home and care for the dogs while the old lady baskes in the sun. I'll be having sardines, bologna, tuna fish, cheese, Raiman noodles.....it'll be like I'm on the trail.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Trillium wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I like to make a blueberry brunch cake for Christmas morning. Although first we have breakfast burritos with filling of scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, tomatoes, green onion and avocado.

Now you've made me very hungry. :P
      I went and had breakfast after reading your post

rocksNsocks wrote:
      Kevin wrote
      I wonder how many of us associate bagels and lox with Christmas. I know I do - because the Jewish bakery in my neighbourhood was the only place open on Christmas! (Heaven forbid Christmas should fall on a Saturday, we'd have to bake stuff at home, which then got in the way of having stuff in the oven early for Christmas dinner and wound up starting a fight among the aunties.)

And - what's in the bitch's bowl is probably dogfood. I haven't checked. I have cats nowadays.

socks wrote I'm not jewish, but grew up in aa neighborhood that was about 90% jewish, needless to say I attended many Passovers, Hanukkahs, mitzfvah's, and found lots of Matzo..Lox was a staple in many homes, and we never had any trouble gettin up a ball game.

Tasty Christmas breakfast, southern style!

Shrimp and Grits

1 box House Autry Creole Style Dinner Grits
      1 12-oz pkg frozen pre-cooked, deveined, tail-off shrimp (about 100 shrimp to a pkg)
      1 pkg bacon (pre-cooked or regular type), cut into 1" pieces
      1 each - red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper - sliced into long pieces
      1 pkg pre-cooked andoille sausage
      1 small yellow or white onion

Cook bacon separately (unless you bought the pre-cooked kind), chop into 1" pieces, and set aside. In large open skillet, prepare dinner grits per instructions on box. Add in frozen shrimp after grits come to rolling boil. (If you really, really like shrimp, use an additional package). Add in bacon and andoille sausage a couple minutes after frozen shrimp. Continue stirring, making sure grits don't stick to bottom of skillet. Add in the peppers and onions during the last five minutes of cooking time.

Ladle into bowls and serve. Some people like to add salt to their helping, but taste it first. The grits mix and the sausage add quite a bit of seasoning by themselves.

TrainWreck wrote:

Shrimp and Grits

1 12-oz pkg frozen pre-cooked, deveined, tail-off shrimp (about 100 shrimp to a pkg)

Cook bacon separately (unless you bought the pre-cooked kind), chop into 1" pieces, and set aside. In large open skillet, prepare dinner grits per instructions on box. Add in frozen shrimp after grits come to rolling boil. (If you really, really like shrimp, use an additional package). Add in bacon and andoille sausage a couple minutes after frozen shrimp. Continue stirring, making sure grits don't stick to bottom of skillet. Add in the peppers and onions during the last five minutes of cooking time.

Ladle into bowls and serve. Some people like to add salt to their helping, but taste it first. The grits mix and the sausage add quite a bit of seasoning by themselves.

I can personally attest to the deliciousness of this dish. Rasty - enjoy.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Shrimp and Grits

Actually, it's a lot better than what you had in March. I overcooked everything that time but people were too nice to comment!! 2.gif

TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Shrimp and Grits

Actually, it's a lot better than what you had in March. I overcooked everything that time but people were too nice to comment!! 2.gif

Them were Yankees and Aussies. They only took one bite. I ate half the pan.

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Shrimp and Grits

Them were Yankees and Aussies. They only took one bite. I ate half the pan.

Hiker hunger has no discretion! The recipe above is actually pretty foolproof. Just don't burn your grits!

TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Shrimp and Grits

with good company, everything tastes great!!
      its all good

TrainWreck wrote:

Grits are just one of those foods you either like or don't. I can't stand oatmeal and have never been able to force myself to eat a whole serving no matter how hard I try. It's like warm wallpaper paste!

What's wrong with wallpaper paste. Little milk and sugar. Chase it with a shot of moonshine and a long neck.

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Grits are just one of those foods you either like or don't. I can't stand oatmeal and have never been able to force myself to eat a whole serving no matter how hard I try. It's like warm wallpaper paste!

What's wrong with wallpaper paste. Little milk and sugar. Chase it with a shot of moonshine and a long neck.
      just add a little microwave bacon and nido
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

and...............................FRITOS!

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

That's gross!
      But not as gross as the grayish purple sludge you get when you make instant blueberry oatmeal.

Like many foods, I learned to like grits on the trail.. Love cheese grits with lots off black pepper and eggs. I also learned to appreciate sardines while backpacking. I agree with Train W oatmeal is hard to get excited about. I learned to like it by making it very thin and adding lots of peanutbutter while its hot

pipsissewa wrote:

Like many foods, I learned to like grits on the trail.. Love cheese grits with lots off black pepper and eggs. I also learned to appreciate sardines while backpacking. I agree with Train W oatmeal is hard to get excited about. I learned to like it by making it very thin and adding lots of peanutbutter while its hot

I think all of the ingredients above mixed together would make a good meal.

I'm going to give these a try.

Energy Cookies

2c brown sugar
      2½c rolled oats
      4c all purpose flour
      1Tbs baking soda
      1tsp baking powder
      1tsp salt
      2tsp cinnamon
      1/3c canola oil
      3/4c plum/prune pastry filling (½ can)
      2Tbs water
      3/4c egg whites (found in refrigerated section)
      2tsp vanilla
      3/4c raisins
      ½c walnuts or pecans or ¼c each
      ½c chopped dried apricots
      ½c sunflower seeds (no husks and don't leave them on the trail - burn them with your pop tart wrappers)

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray cool cookie sheets with canola oil spray. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Blend in oats. Make a well in the center and pour in oil, prune puree, water, egg whites and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Mixture will be very stiff. Stir in raisins, walnuts, sunflower seeds and apricots. Scoop dough with large spoon into golf ball size. Place cookies 2" apart onto the cookie sheet and flatten to ½" tall with wet fingers. Bake 8 min. for chewy cookies and 10 min. for dry cookies. Do not over bake, cookies will not get crisp. Remove from cookie sheet to cool. Wrap individually to freeze.

Hey BB - we need that breakfast drink of yours. The one with butterscotch pudding. I'll bet it would go good with these cookies and just get you zoomin'.

Should I report the Title to the moderator..... naaa

Lasagne dried is just not what I want to do....

How about Egg's Benedict cut the Canadian bacon and slide in some smoked salmon? Side of Corned beef hash to boot... that's what I am talking about!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

A little late to the party today...

We had:

Warm Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting at oh, let's say, 8:00 to open stockings with the little ones.

Then it was on to

Cheese Souffle with home cured bacon, kitchy mini sausage links from the store (ok, I admit it, I love those little things), and home roasted coffee.

If I could convince my family, I would totally go with the shrimp and grits. Delicious! And yes, I've made them myself, even cooked down the shrimp shells for stock. It made the whole house smell like yummy shrimp. 49.gif
      You're doing it ALL wrong!!!

Drybones wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Agree....the wall paper paste has a better flavor and sticks to your ribs better.

I'm sure it sticks to every internal organ it comes in contact with! :sick: