Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

the Socks thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• the Socks thread

all things "Socks"

...we all buy em, use em...and somewhere there always on sale.
      See a good deal...post a link here....our feet will thank you. :)

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smartwool-micro-toe-socks-merino-wool-for-men-and-women~p~4661k/?filterString=mens-socks~d~150%2F&colorFamily=03
    • the Socks thread

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Can we talk about gaiters here?
      not since i was banned

Ha Ha...seriously, I got questions, always the endless questions.
      Well, it is under the foot wear forum, socks is just a sub forum...go for it...laces too, all things footie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTQHJpzu7qA
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • I've switched to Cabela's socks. Lifetime guarantee, same wool as Darn Tough, but made for your righ foot and left foot with reinforced areas. Darn Toughs seem to get too tight across the top of my foot for some reason.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've switched to Cabela's socks. Lifetime guarantee, same wool as Darn Tough, but made for your righ foot and left foot with reinforced areas. Darn Toughs seem to get too tight across the top of my foot for some reason.
      For me, it seems darn toughs get tighter after a few washes . So I switched to Wright socks, which I really like. I need another pair or two, but spent my Christmas money on fishing and kayak gear.
    • i'll weigh in since wright socks are mentioned.

on my thru i got zero blisters. i used a liner and thick socks (first wool rag and then thorlos) with my boots. i also stopped at the first notice of a hot spot and tended to it. i also took my boots and socks off at lunch and mid afternoon and let my feet dry off. i attribute this as much as the type of sock i wore to having no blisters, but of course i'll never know for sure. hiking in a dry year also played a big part in this.

when i switched to trail runners i switched to thin running socks as there is not enough volume in the shoe to handle the thicker socks.

i used wright socks for a long time and liked them. when the online store i used stopped selling them, i used a different brand of sock. not double layered, but a very tough yarn, and they lasted a long time. eventually they became discontinued.

so i've gone back to wright socks which i get from rei. i've used them again for about a year -- and they now wear out much faster than before. i'm wearing a different shoe which may or may not be the reason. in any event, when these finally wear out i'm moving on to something different.
      2,000 miler
    • I am a darn tough person, the kind that go about an inch above your ankle. My only complaint is that they eventually get loose at the top. Considering going with the ones that are normal sock height (crew?) this summer. Same as I wear in cooler weather. Probably a small weight penalty for the extras in my pack. Upside probably keep the bottom of my legs cleaner. Also probably go from golfers to old man tan line. But hey as my kids would say, I am old. :)

Any thoughts from anyone else's experience?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I am a darn tough person, the kind that go about an inch above your ankle. My only complaint is that they eventually get loose at the top. Considering going with the ones that are normal sock height (crew?) this summer. Same as I wear in cooler weather. Probably a small weight penalty for the extras in my pack. Upside probably keep the bottom of my legs cleaner. Also probably go from golfers to old man tan line. But hey as my kids would say, I am old. :)

I use the DT micro crew. Have not had a problem with them sagging. I don't like the crew (too tall) or ankle length (too short).
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I bought Yaktrax cabin socks at Dick's Sporting Goods, buy a pair, get a pair free. No wool, synthetic with acrylic, thick, padded, and warm. I'll let y'all know how they hold up to 120 miles of C&O between Cumberland and Harpers Ferry.
      bring a headlamp for the paw paw tunnel. It's really pretty amazing, as are the cuts that aren't tunnels in that section where the river meanders but the canal doesn't.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

I am a darn tough person, the kind that go about an inch above your ankle. My only complaint is that they eventually get loose at the top. Considering going with the ones that are normal sock height (crew?) this summer. Same as I wear in cooler weather. Probably a small weight penalty for the extras in my pack. Upside probably keep the bottom of my legs cleaner. Also probably go from golfers to old man tan line. But hey as my kids would say, I am old. :)

I use the DT micro crew. Have not had a problem with them sagging. I don't like the crew (too tall) or ankle length (too short).
      Thanks, micro crew is actually what I use during the cooler months now.
    • max.patch wrote:

i used wright socks for a long time and liked them. when the online store i used stopped selling them, i used a different brand of sock. not double layered, but a very tough yarn, and they lasted a long time. eventually they became discontinued.

so i've gone back to wright socks which i get from rei. i've used them again for about a year -- and they now wear out much faster than before. i'm wearing a different shoe which may or may not be the reason. in any event, when these finally wear out i'm moving on to something different.
      The Wright socks I ordered from REI arrived today and I was reminded of this post from 2016. I ordered 3 pairs, and one sock arrived with a huge hole in the outer layer and another sock from a different pair arrived a very small hole in the outer layer. I know I said these things are wearing out sooner but this is ridiculous. :) Looks like I can "return" via mail but they don't "replace" via mail -- that's another transaction.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm wearing Thorlo socks that are years and years old. I wear them to work as well as around the house and for hiking. They just won't wear out ! I don't even know if Thorlo still exists....guess I'll check the internet.
      Hate to think they went out of business because their product was so good that their customers never needed to buy anymore. ;)
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm wearing Thorlo socks that are years and years old. I wear them to work as well as around the house and for hiking. They just won't wear out ! I don't even know if Thorlo still exists....guess I'll check the internet.
      I started wearing Thorlos midway thru my thru when my wool rag socks wore out and I continued to wear them as long as I wore boots. (When I switched to trail runners I needed something with less bulk.) I remember the styles -- "Trekker" and "Hiker" (or maybe that second one was "Backpacker" -- been a long time.)

And way back then...at some point the cardboard sleeve that they came in included a celebrity endoresement -- a picture of Wingfoot and a few words. He supposedly helped design them, but I don't know to what extent (if any).

Edit to add: I still have a couple pairs in my cold weather clothes box that I probably havent worn in 10 years. I think the last time I wore them was on a skiing trip.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().