Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Asheville,NC

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Asheville,NC

Birdman wrote:

I live in the Catskills of NY state. I will be visiting Asheville,NC sometime this spring. Are there any nice moderate hikes close by? Thanks.

What kind of distance? Quick question to determine what moderate is to you. Is the trail that goes up to the top of Hunter Mountain that isn't the ski resort an easy, moderate or difficult trail?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Birdman wrote:

I live in the Catskills of NY state. I will be visiting Asheville,NC sometime this spring. Are there any nice moderate hikes close by? Thanks.

What kind of distance? Quick question to determine what moderate is to you. Is the trail that goes up to the top of Hunter Mountain that isn't the ski resort an easy, moderate or difficult trail?

OK, I'm confused. You're talking about my home ground here, and I don't know which route you have in mind. As I see it, there are five popular blazed routes up Hunter Mountain. One comes from the ski area, two from the Spruceton trailhead, and two from Stony Clove. In order of diificulty, easiest first:

[ol]
      [li]The Colonel's Chair trail from the ski lifts, then the Spruceton bridle path to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Spruceton bridle path from the Spruceton trailhead.[/li]
      [li]The Devil's Path from the Spruceton trailhead, then the Hunter Mountain trail to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Devil's Path from the campground at Devils' Tombstone, Hunter Mountain trail to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Becker Hollow trail from Route 214.[/li]
      [/ol]

You should be able to find them all at http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test2.html

For what it's worth, my personal assessment of the degree of difficulty:
      Display Spoiler
      [ol]
      [li]So easy it's cheating. Catskill 3500 Club specifically states this route does not count as climbing Hunter.[/li]
      [li]Easy.[/li]
      [li]Easy to moderate.[/li]
      [li]Strenuous.[/li]
      [li]Strenuous.[/li]
      [/ol]
      None reaches the 'difficult' level. (If you want to say that Becker Hollow is difficult, I won't argue.)

Examples of 'difficult' trails in the Cats:
      [ul]
      [li]The eastern Devil's Path over Indian Head, Twin and Sugarloaf.[/li]
      [li]The Burroughs Range trail on the east slopes of Cornell and Slide (The west side of Slide is a cakewalk.)[/li]
      [li]The trail up to Balsam from McKenley Hollow[/li]
      [li]The Escarpment Trail on the north side of Blackhead.[/li]
      [li]The Hurricane Ledges on Kaaterskill High Peak.[/li]
      [/ul]
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Birdman wrote:

OK, I'm confused. You're talking about my home ground here, and I don't know which route you have in mind. As I see it, there are five popular blazed routes up Hunter Mountain. One comes from the ski area, two from the Spruceton trailhead, and two from Stony Clove. In order of diificulty, easiest first:

[ol]
      [li]The Colonel's Chair trail from the ski lifts, then the Spruceton bridle path to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Spruceton bridle path from the Spruceton trailhead.[/li]
      [li]The Devil's Path from the Spruceton trailhead, then the Hunter Mountain trail to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Devil's Path from the campground at Devils' Tombstone, Hunter Mountain trail to the summit.[/li]
      [li]The Becker Hollow trail from Route 214.[/li]
      [/ol]

You should be able to find them all at http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test2.html

For what it's worth, my personal assessment of the degree of difficulty:
      Display Spoiler
      [ol]
      [li]So easy it's cheating. Catskill 3500 Club specifically states this route does not count as climbing Hunter.[/li]
      [li]Easy.[/li]
      [li]Easy to moderate.[/li]
      [li]Strenuous.[/li]
      [li]Strenuous.[/li]
      [/ol]
      None reaches the 'difficult' level. (If you want to say that Becker Hollow is difficult, I won't argue.)

Examples of 'difficult' trails in the Cats:
      [ul]
      [li]The eastern Devil's Path over Indian Head, Twin and Sugarloaf.[/li]
      [li]The Burroughs Range trail on the east slopes of Cornell and Slide (The west side of Slide is a cakewalk.)[/li]
      [li]The trail up to Balsam from McKenley Hollow[/li]
      [li]The Escarpment Trail on the north side of Blackhead.[/li]
      [li]The Hurricane Ledges on Kaaterskill High Peak.[/li]
      [/ul]

Devils Path from the Campground. It's been about 20 years so I could not remember until the moment I saw the map.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I'm wondering, since I'm not familiar with GSMNP myself, how my assessment of trail difficulty compares with people's descriptions of the stuff down South. I'm never sure when I describe a route as 'easy', 'moderate', 'strenuous' or 'difficult' whether I'm being a hard-ass, a namby-pamby or something in between.

I'm thinking of last summer, on Windham High Peak, running into a couple of day-hikers from NJ, with one saying to my daughter and me, "The guidebook said this was an easy three-mile hike!"
      "Yeah, my GPS says it was 3.2."
      "But it was supposed to be easy!"
      Daughter and I looked at each other.
      "Well, there are no fords, the ascent is pretty steady, there wasn't anywhere you had to use your hands to get up, the one really muddy place had bog bridges, the footing is all solid, it seemed pretty easy to me!"
      "What?"
      "This is an easy hike!"
      "You guys are nuts!"

So I'm with you that standards vary.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

TrafficJam wrote:

It's all based on your frame of reference. If I only hike in the Smokies, what I consider difficult isn't going to be the same as someone who hikes in the Adirondacks and the Whites.

I actually find it easier to stay motivated above tree line.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's all based on your frame of reference. If I only hike in the Smokies, what I consider difficult isn't going to be the same as someone who hikes in the Adirondacks and the Whites.

I like trees.

Now we know why God gave us different types of terrain. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Asheville,NC

grayblazer wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Cuz you're not stopping every minute and hugging a tree?

I only hug trees when I've been drinking
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

So... you are saying that your affection for wood is directly proportionate to the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream? :whistle:
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

So... you are saying that your affection for wood is directly proportionate to the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream? :whistle:

I'm not going to respond to that loaded question
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I only ask because I am concerned for my 10" spoon if I was ever in your company and alcohol was present.

Feel free to clean up this aisle if you so desire. I have made my point. gif.014
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I only ask because I am concerned for my 10" spoon if I was ever in your company and alcohol was present.

Feel free to clean up this aisle if you so desire. I have made my point. gif.014

I think I'll leave this one on your permanent record
      Dr. Seuss Cof123