Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2014 Hiking Plans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2014 Hiking Plans

The Batona Trail
      Hike from beachy bottom to Bear Mountain for that spectacular view I let slip away.
      Probably PA. Lehigh Gap SoBo to Hawk Mountain.
      and NJ from Culvers Gap towards high point then on towards NY

Maybe.....depends if and when I get my inerds put back in place.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Hike NH and take in 26 more 4000' hills (a few Blue Blazes). Hopefully meet some PoHo's during that section. Hike as many finger islands off the coast of Maine that we can get to in 10 or 11 days of sailing. Hike several hills in Acadia (that is a yearly thing and goes without saying). Get the wives up to the Bigelows for an overnighter.

And for my 2000th post and in honor of the nice lady that sent me an email inviting me over here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUc3wd4It8g
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

BirdBrain wrote:

Hike NH and take in 26 more 4000' hills (a few Blue Blazes). Hopefully meet some PoHo's during that section. Hike as many finger islands off the coast of Maine that we can get to in 10 or 11 days of sailing. Hike several hills in Acadia (that is a yearly thing and goes without saying). Get the wives up to the Bigelows for an overnighter.

And for my 2000th post and in honor of the nice lady that sent me an email inviting me over here:
      I never get tired of watching trains crash...whats wrong with me.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

I haven't done any backpacking since 1999, so I've decided to get in shape and I hope to start out with 50+ miles on the PCT, from US-50 to Donner's Summit or beyond. I just bought a new tent but need a pack, although I'm considering resurrecting my really old external frame Kelty. I also need a stove, bear cannister, water filter, and the list goes on!
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.008 gif.008 actly... :silly:
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.008 gif.008 actly... :silly:
      always lookin on the sunny side ma brother. No one can hold a good down gif.008

isn't a little man supposed to crawl out of the egg, hmm prolly just stayed up late postin and is sleepin in.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

My wife is due in early June, hopefully she's au natural and everyone is healthy. But wife and baby will probably be out of commission for most of the summer so-

If I can figure it out, Just Bill and Little Will will be camping and hopefully backpacking.
      Probably dreaming but I have some minor hopes to bring him out and do Maryland this year (he's 3 1/2 this summer)

Gotta make my own pack if that's the case as even SUL gear none of the kid carrier packs are meant for solo parents, they all top out around 45 lbs which includes the pack itself. Pack, Kid, and water means you maxed out the pack before you even carry any gear or food. Might have to pick BB brain or put that lazy lout socks and his fittin skills to work on a frame- that seems to be the trick.

More than likely though we will just do some Bikepacking, I can steal the seat off my wifes bike and use our trailer for gear. I won't have to reinvent the wheel and can bring a cooler and more small stuff for the boy to make him comfy. For all you folks who have that old kid trailer around- consider giving it a shot. We have lots of nice bike trails that are monotonus to hike on, but toss some gear and a cooler in the trailer and it's like car camping meets backpacking- 30 miles by lunch anyone...
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Just Bill wrote:

My wife is due in early June, hopefully she's au natural and everyone is healthy. But wife and baby will probably be out of commission for most of the summer so-

If I can figure it out, Just Bill and Little Will will be camping and hopefully backpacking.
      Probably dreaming but I have some minor hopes to bring him out and do Maryland this year (he's 3 1/2 this summer)

Gotta make my own pack if that's the case as even SUL gear none of the kid carrier packs are meant for solo parents, they all top out around 45 lbs which includes the pack itself. Pack, Kid, and water means you maxed out the pack before you even carry any gear or food. Might have to pick BB brain or put that lazy lout socks and his fittin skills to work on a frame- that seems to be the trick.

More than likely though we will just do some Bikepacking, I can steal the seat off my wifes bike and use our trailer for gear. I won't have to reinvent the wheel and can bring a cooler and more small stuff for the boy to make him comfy. For all you folks who have that old kid trailer around- consider giving it a shot. We have lots of nice bike trails that are monotonus to hike on, but toss some gear and a cooler in the trailer and it's like car camping meets backpacking- 30 miles by lunch anyone...

My sister did some bikepacking last summer and loved it. She used her old bike trailer and went to the local parks.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Just Bill wrote:

them trailer things are friggin' neat. you gots skils, but I'd hep ya any way I can.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Kathy and I expect to get to Maine this summer for another section of the AT.
      We haven't planned anything yet other than we'll start from the first shelter in ME, Carlo Col.
      How far north we get will depend on how long I can get off from work and if I can get myself into any kind of hiking shape.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I expect to get to Maine this summer for another section of the AT.
      We haven't planned anything yet other than we'll start from the first shelter in ME, Carlo Col.
      How far north we get will depend on how long I can get off from work and if I can get myself into any kind of hiking shape.

SoBo from Baxter allows you to get in shape as you go. The Notch and the Arm will have you discouraged if you go NoBo. Just an opinion.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • 2014 Hiking Plans

Already have hiked a portion of the Ocean to Lake Trail on the FNST and plan to thru-hike the AL portion of the PNRT. If that goes well with the knees will look at the GA portion to the BMT and possibly that to the AT at Springer. Pretty happy with the way things are going with the knees right now. Not gonna push it though.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.