Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Need AT Out & Back recommendations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Need AT Out & Back recommendations

Hey all! Looking for some out and back recommendations for ~2.5 days of hiking the AT. Was thinking out and back due to parking car and doing this solo. Live in MidTN. Was thinking starting out at Harmon's Den, probably could plan to cover 12-15 mi a day. Really want some isolated trails but also mixed in great views/overlooks. Really appreciate any and all recommendations!
    • My suggestion would be to do Damascus, VA to Massie Gap/Grayson Highlands State Park. It's about 32 miles. Then contact Lone Wolf for a shuttle. You could either park in Damascus, hike to Grayson Highlands then get a shuttle back or park at Grayson Highlands State Park, get a shuttle back to Damascus then hike to your car. I like hiking S > N but you could hike N > S if that's your thing.

I actually hiked from the road near Double Springs Shelter to Damascus. Lone Wolf told me where to park in Damascus then since he was busy, had a friend of his shuttle me down to the trailhead at the road where the trail crosses to go to Double Springs Shelter but that is only a hike of about 23 miles, if memory serves.