Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Phone App

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A friend told me about the app he uses for walking. It's called Caynax, and it's free. I'm using it on an Android phone and it seems to work good. It gives you all the info you could want like distance, speed, pace, altitude change, calories burned and more, that I don't remember right now. Oh, and of course it maps out your walk. Also you can save the individual workouts. It's also useful for running and cycling.
      What do you use to track your walk/hiking.
    • LIhikers wrote:

A friend told me about the app he uses for walking. It's called Caynax, and it's free. I'm using it on an Android phone and it seems to work good. It gives you all the info you could want like distance, speed, pace, altitude change, calories burned and more, that I don't remember right now. Oh, and of course it maps out your walk. Also you can save the individual workouts. It's also useful for running and cycling.
      What do you use to track your walk/hiking.
      Just synching my Fitbit, but all I am interested in steps/miles. I know it can do more, but that is what I really focus on the most.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I need to track steps for discounts on my health insurance so I use a Garmin Venu. The phone app tracks lots of info but it doesn't map my walks.

As far as hiking, it's not entirely useful. While using hiking poles, it under counts my steps since my arms aren't swinging a full arc. The elevation gain is a little more accurate and is a decent reference since the watch vibrates with every multiple of 10 flights. Ten buzzes is pretty close to 1000 feet of elevation gain.

The Garmin bike computer does track the route with amazing accuracy.

Edit: I usually don't carry my phone for daily walks and it's in airplane mode inside my pack when hiking. So no real tracking going on. But I do activate tracking on my inReach when hiking.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• I use Mapy.cz (from the Czech Republic). It is a basic navigation app. It has a tracker, but I haven't used it much so I'm not sure it gives you more than distance and elevation change. But is allows free downloading of maps for every country in the world for offline use. Maps have great detail and most hiking trails are shown.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• Fitbit because it's already on my wrist (I wear it 24/7) and just a couple clicks and its ready to go. All I really want to know is how far I went so I can record it in my log.

I also have the AllTrails app on my phone because I got the advanced version for an incredibly silly price. I used it for about a week when my Fitbit died and I waited for the company to send my replacement. I use the app to search for new places to hike; primarily for when I'm in Arizona.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().