Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wise Shelter - Virginia

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wise Shelter - Virginia

There is an interesting post on whiteblaze that I thought I'd bring up here. Several posters over a long span of time have reported that the local park office in Greyson Highlands has told them Wise Shelter is for thru hikers only.

I haven't hiked that section yet, however after spending more time than I should have searching the internet, I not found any reference to such a rule rule on the Virginia DCR page, the ATC website, or in the ALDHA thru hikers companion. Have any of you heard anything about this? I'm wondering if the park office is giving bad information to the hikers that contact them.

whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/55887-Wise-Shelter
      Images
      • 229A719E-DA1A-4416-ADB1-933D7EEA0EB1.jpeg

164.4 kB, 750×541, viewed 36 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I posted my suggestions on that thread. First, if they tell you you have to be a "thru hiker", just don't ask them what you have to be "thru hiking" I did a thru hike of Main Street of Hanover NH and Big Meadows in SNP. It's a low bar if you are good at crative rule interpretation. The other "out" i suggested is to say that you are doing a flip flop thru hike starting at that shelter. Since their interpretation of a thru hiker is one who INTENDS to hike the trail in on trip (not one who acctually has), then you can say you intend to thru hike, and then if you don't, you will be just like one of the 80% of thru hikers who fail. Finally, if you did actually did a thru hike (say 10 years ago), then you can legitimately say you are a thru hiker.
    • An update:

A scaley reptile just posted:

...While it is not exactly clear that it is official policy, please do not continue to suggest ways to "get around it" that are really just breaking the rules...

Since I am the one most proficient at posting ways to "to get around" the rule, should I post my last good idea to get around the rule as a way to finally get permanent "secret double probation" from TOS?
    • odd man out wrote:

An update:

A scaley reptile just posted:

...While it is not exactly clear that it is official policy, please do not continue to suggest ways to "get around it" that are really just breaking the rules...

Since I am the one most proficient at posting ways to "to get around" the rule, should I post my last good idea to get around the rule as a way to finally get permanent "secret double probation" from TOS?
      Hehe, I saw that. Funny enough, I've never really butted heads with gator and have nothing against him, but what an odd take-away and response for him to have on an otherwise productive thread.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I have to be the 'no-fun guy' on the motorcycle forum that I run. But that is only for postings that would violate copyright laws. As in I don't want to get a letter from a corporate lawyer explaining that I am complicit in the dissemination of copyrighted material owned by the the cycle manufacturer.

But it would be ridiculous for me to shut down conversations (for example) about how to pursue warranty claims when the dealer is being stubborn.

Methinks the Croc-wannabe is overreacting. But we all knew that.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard