Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thru-Hiking the Appalachian Trail as a Full-Time Remote Software Engineer: Feasible?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thru-Hiking the Appalachian Trail as a Full-Time Remote Software Engineer: Feasible?

Hello fellow hikers and outdoor enthusiasts,

I've been pondering a rather adventurous idea lately and wanted to reach out to this community for some insights and advice. As a full-time software engineer fortunate enough to work remotely, I've been entertaining the thought of embarking on a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

However, before I dive headfirst into planning and logistics, I wanted to gauge the feasibility of such an endeavor given my work commitments. While the allure of spending months trekking through breathtaking landscapes is undeniable, I also recognize the importance of meeting my professional responsibilities, including being available online during typical business hours (9-6pm EST).

My main question is: Is it realistic to maintain a full-time remote job while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail? I understand that this would require careful planning, reliable internet connectivity, and potentially creative solutions to ensure I can fulfill my work obligations while on the trail.

If anyone has personal experience, advice, or know someone who has successfully balanced a similar lifestyle, I would greatly appreciate hearing your insights. Any tips on managing time, staying connected, or navigating the unique challenges of remote work while hiking would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide. I'm excited to hear from this community and explore the possibility of combining my passion for the outdoors with my professional career.
    • It can be done, but thru hiking is challenging enough without the additional logistics of working remotely. That being said I've heard of people doing just that. Keep in mind the AT is also a social trail, and you'll be camping every night with a number of people. Do you really want to be working while others are socializing?
      If possible, maybe plan a 3-4 week section hike and see how that goes first before you commit to 5 or 6 months.
      its all good
    • As someone who started his career as a software developer and completed the AT via several LASH's, I would stongly recommend against it.

There are only 24 hours in a day and that is not enough to do both. Personally it would be miserable for me to be working wishing I was hiking, and then thinking about work when I was hiking.

I would instead recommend going all out at each independently. Work as hard as you can and save up as much money you can. Then hit the trail and totally enjoy it with no distractions. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My hiking partner is an executive for a large IT company. There have been many times on our section hikes where he tried to check in with his teams during the day and couldn't get reception. It wasn't really an issue as his out-of-office message states that he will have no access.

So staying connected is a major challenge. Keeping electronics dry is another major challenge. Keeping electronics charged is another major challenge.

If you find a way to conquer those challenges, then you're left with trying to actually hike the AT. I won't say that it can't be done, but I think you'd end up chasing electricity & connectivity more than memories.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • As already pointed out, the logistical challenges may be insurmountable. A thru hike usually involves hiking 14 miles per day which probably involves about 7 hrs of actually walking plus time for "camp chores" (eating, filtering water, setting up and taking down camp, resting, etc...). So basically it is more than a full-time job. Working another full-time job just doesn't add up.

In addition to some of the other idea posted, one way it might work is to ditch the thru hike idea (i.e. hiking the whole trail) and replace it with a "through" hike (i.e. hike as much as you want and quit when you are "through"). So instead of the thru hike pace of 14-ish mpd, maybe hike 5-ish mpd, perhaps putting in your miles in the early AM, late afternoon, lunch hours, weekends, etc...). You know from the start that this pace won't get you from Springer to Baxter, but on a "through" hike that doesn't matter. Maybe take some zero days in town when you need to be connected and hit the trail when you have work you could do that only requires sporadic connectivity. I haven't a clue what your job requirements are, so you would have to work that out for yourself that may be reasonable. Remember the vast majority of thru hike attempts are unsuccessful, but the only way to fail a "through" hike is to quit when you are still having fun.
    • Hello MNR,

I am going to go with Not realistic. Definitely would not be enjoyable in my mind.

If you need to keep your full time job, I would recommend just enjoying some hiking weekends and vacations for now. Section hiking is great.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I can't imagine you'd have a satisfying experience if you're "on the clock" all day. I'd think you'd likely feel the hiking isn't rewarding enough and your work isn't getting enough attention.

A lot depends on how much of each you want to get done. Also, from software standpoint, a couple of considerations are size & complexity of your dev stack (ie, are you working on a major app with lots of heavy graphics that you'll need to push / pull in coordination with other devs or is it a small solo project you can develop locally for months). If the former, I can't imagine you'd get much done.

Also worth considering the likelihood that your laptop gets ruined by weather and you lose your work because you didn't have a good chance to back it up.