Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Starting to consider/plan a LASH on the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Starting to consider/plan a LASH on the AT

Hi, I’m new here. I have been backpacking for several years but a couple hundred mile thru hikes is the longest I have done. I have dreamed of hiking the AT for several years now but never really had the opportunity. I am just wanting to do about a 500 mile trip right now. I have a few health issues and will not be a fast hiker. Probably 10-15 miles a day tops. I am thinking start at the beginning at springer and walking 500 miles. I am considering this for 2025. When would be the best time to start. I don’t want to be in the big crowds as they start but I want to start at a decent time for weather/temps as well. Where I hike it is very solitary and I’d really like to avoid big crowds of hikers as much as possible. Any suggestions on best time and possibly even doing another 500 mile section. I do not live close to the AT at all so I know very little about the weather on the trail and logistics but trying to research and learn.
    • Poca2525, Welome to the Cafe!

I hiked the AT over 10 years NoBo (Nov 2010 to July 2021). Usually 2-4 weeks a year, but one was less than a week, another nearly 7 weeks. And of course nothing in 2020.

I would recommend starting at Springer NoBo (skip Approach Trail) at beginning of May. 500 miles is a good target, but I would plan finishing around public transportation (preferably train stations, busses are the next best). Significant cost and time savings by planning appropriate begin/end of sections based on logistics.

Advice start slow and build up. If you want to average 10-15. Start out 7-10, and after a month you could be doing 15-20.

Other advice:
      • Research and buy lite weight gear (investment that pays dividends every mile you walk)
      • Get in the best shape you can before you start
      • Do as many multiday practice hikes that you can with your gear
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Poca, In terms of start times for a NOBO from Springer I know I would shoot for March - April. Sooner likely will be too cold and wet, later likely will be too hot and dry. Of course March and April could be and probably will be at times all of those things too.

Of course the problem with March and April is that is peak NOBO season. Rather than trying to totally avoid the crowds, I would adapt to deal with the crowds. The best way to do that is not to rely on shelters. Even when hiking on high-use trails, I can usually manage to walk most of the day alone and camp alone by staying out of synch with the crowd. I like to hammock so that makes it a lot easier for me. All I need is two trees and I have a camp site. Tenters will be more limited as to where they can pitch for the night. But you will still have options.

Having said that, you may find with time that you look forward to seeing other hikers. That familiar face that you have been hopscotching along the trail. I know I do. I often like to have dinner at a shelter or near a campsite so I can socialize a bit and get to know some hikers along the way, and then I move on so I can have the evening to myself a few miles down the trail. It is not that hard to find solitude when you want it, even on the AT.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The Appalachian Trail is one of the most hiked trails in the world. I was always a solo hiker for many years, and tended to avoid crowds and people in general. One of the benefits of section hiking is the ability to pick your spots at different times of year to avoid the bubble. But unless you're able to hike in the winter, any 500 mile stretch in spring or summer, you'll be bound to be seeing people most days and nights. Embrace it. In 2013 I hiked from Springer to Damascus, starting March 20. I had tended to avoid the southern AT because of the bubble and too many people, but I really ended up enjoying myself and enjoying the company, people from all over the world with different stories to tell, and I've seen many an introvert warm up to the company of people with a common goal. I'm still in touch with many of the people I hiked with that year.
      Just let your hike develop as it will, you can find yourself hiking alone most or all of the day, and you can camp away from others in most states if you choose.
      I agree with Astro's suggestion to start in May, as the bubble has been starting earlier each year, and most of the Nobos will be ahead of you.
      its all good
    • You mentioned you are not close to the AT. You can fly into Atlanta and get a shuttle to Springer. We can give you suggestions if this is what you want to do. If you drive to Georgia you can also park in the long term parking area at Amicalola State Park during your hike for (last time I checked) $50. The 8 mile approach trail starts here.

If I was going to do a 500 mile or so hike I'd make it Springer to Damascus (470 miles). Damascus is a hiker friendly town, and while there is no public transportation there are plenty of shuttlers who can get you to where there is.

I'd start mid April. You'll have plenty of company, but as IMScotty pointed out there are ways to deal with this.
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I'm amused by the people who for some reason think January 1 is a great time to start a thru.
      Their amusement typically ends by January 2nd.
      And January 10th as they hole up paying to stay out of the higher elevations while the blizzard is going on. And January 21 as they once again hole up for another week. And February 9 as they got sick, literally, from 8 days of 40 degree days and rain. And February 17 as they hole up for another major snow in the mountains. And....well by February 22 they have spent 50% of their hostel budget and decide to go home, regroup, and decide if they have funds and desire to come back in late March or April.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Poca2525 wrote:

Astro wrote:

• Curious what the other couple hundred mile thru hikes you have done are? If some are the same as I have done, I could provide some relative perspective based on my experience.

I have thru hiked the Ozark highland trail a couple times and I plan to thru hike the ouachita trail in 2024.
      I have done both of these. You will be well prepared for the southern half of the AT. You will find the AT much easier to resupply. Water will be easier than some parts of the Ouachita Trail.

The rocks of northern PA will be the first drastic difference.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General