Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Winter Layers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Winter Layers

We’ve all hiked enough and should have our cool/cold weather clothing system figured out but this is the time of year that I evaluate what I’m wearing and think about what’s working and what isn’t.

I’ve only added one item in the past few years…a pair of merino wool glove liners, but like to hear about new stuff on the market. One fabric I’ve read about is alpha direct fleece, a polartec fleece that supposedly keeps you warm while active but is terrible in the wind. A particular problem of mine is controlling sweat while hiking so this sounds interesting but the wind factor would require another piece of clothing. It’s expensive so I’ve thought about buying some fabric and doing a diy project.

The past year, one of my favorite layering is a long sleeve tech tee, a basic light or midweight fleece jacket, and my rain jacket. For me, the rain jacket is the secret ingredient to staying warm in shoulder season and I’m thinking about buying one a few sizes too big as I can’t zip my current one when it’s layered.

Where I really need an upgrade is on my lower half. My legs just don’t stay warm enough. I don’t like the restriction of wearing a base layer under pants so I’m looking at fleece-lined leggings but wonder if they will retain too much moisture from sweat.

Admittedly, all of these high tech and high cost fabrics with ridiculous names and claims of superiority do tend to interest me. Maybe I’m gullible…lately it seems they all claim the same thing so it makes one wonder.

Anyway, tips or sharing your favorite cold weather clothes is appreciated. My goal is always to be as lightweight as is comfortable and my gear to be multiuse.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I do not do a lot of winter hiking, so I tend to rely on what I already have in my closet. For my upper clothing I tend to go with a merino long sleeve base and one of my hand knit Irish Wool sweaters. I know, there are not many hikers wearing heavy knit wool sweaters. But it keeps me warm - even when wet - which is huge. That and the T seem to wick away any perspiration. Not very wind resistant thought, so I like to wear a wind jacket as an outer layer.

My wind jacket is water resistant, not water proof. Fine in a drizzle, no problem in a dry snow. If it is in the 30's and raining, I would probably stay home.

Legs I might go with thermals and wind pants. Like you, I hate wearing clothing on my legs that is heavy or constricting. This leaves me a little cold, but it is usually fine as long as I am walking. Clearly I am not trying to hike in alpine conditions like this. When I get to camp I can set up quick and I know my sleeping system will keep me warm.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I do not do a lot of winter hiking, so I tend to rely on what I already have in my closet. For my upper clothing I tend to go with a merino long sleeve base and one of my hand knit Irish Wool sweaters. I know, there are not many hikers wearing heavy knit wool sweaters. But it keeps me warm - even when wet - which is huge. That and the T seem to wick away any perspiration. Not very wind resistant thought, so I like to wear a wind jacket as an outer layer.
      I started off backpacking with a (Swedish? Norwegian?) ragg wool sweater which I found at an outlet store at a great price. I wore on my thru where it did what it was supposed to do. On my thru I saw fleece for the first time that other hikers were using.
      2,000 miler
    • Temps were mid 30’s with a slight breeze on my walk yesterday. I wore a lightweight LS tech shirt, a light, down vest, a fleece pullover as my outer and basic leggings (and hat and gloves). Despite exerting myself on the hills, my arms and legs were cold.

I thought the vest would warm my core and the warmth would spread to my limbs but it didn’t work.

A heavier, midweight LS shirt with merino or other warm fiber would have been better and another layer on my legs. I’m still looking at fleece lined leggings but haven’t decided.
    • You must run cold TJ, that sounds like it should have been comfortable to me.

I have a LS Merino shirt I wear as a base in the winter. It really helps. Most importantly, with wicking away any moisture from my body.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I recently found some good, fleece-lined leggings on clearance for < $30…win! I’m very happy to find such a deal, especially since I was seriously considering Lululemon leggings (but only because I own stock in the company. ;)

They are very warm so will be good for the cold days but the extra thickness make them less flexible. Can’t wait to try them out but I’m not wishing for more cold weather.