Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The New Triple Crown

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The New Triple Crown

A new triple crown?
      Reminds me of I believe Eddie Murphy when Will Smith was recording as Fresh Prince. He said does he think the original Prince is old or stale?
      Actually would like to do Mountain To Sea (MTS) someday, especially if they can reduce some of the road walks. :)

backpacker.com/trips/long-trai…ong-trails-north-america/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• What a great article Astro. It is fun to dream :) My thoughts...

Pacific Northwest Trail: The photos that accompany that article are stunning. Certainly a great advertisement for that hike. I would consider it.

Mountains-to-Sea Trail: I actually like trails that include some interspersed town-walks (sorry Matt-C). This trail sounds like fun to me. The way I would want to handle the longer road walks is by bike (although the paddling options sound great too). I did this with a shorter 200 mile trail near me, the Bay Circuit Trail. Because I did it in sections, I could choose to bike some of the longer road walks, hiking the wooded trail sections. It worked out great in combination.

The Great Divide Trail: Wow, that sounds like a dream. Unfortunately, I don't think I any longer have the physical ability to tackle a trail like that. I do hope to visit some of those National Parks someday and least get a taste for the Canadian Rockies.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I've heard great things about all those trails, but are we now just grabbing any three trails we like and calling it the new triple crown? If so I nominate the following as an additional triple crown:

Northville Placid trail
      Cohos Trail
      Bigfoot trail.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I went ahead and bought the FarOut for the Mountain-to-Sea Trail (30% off). Will not be able to get it on my Roadmap until 2027. I figure I could do 1200 miles in May-July, although that might not be the optimal weather window. Also started watching some YouTube videos on it while I am stretching and riding exercise bike in the morning.

When I told my wife I was thinking about doing it in 2027 she was surprised (2024-2026 already planned out). You would think after 32 years she would know me better by now. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General