Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

6 Amazing Short Trails (if not time for AT)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 6 Amazing Short Trails (if not time for AT)

Article actually has 5, with 6th a section of AT.

Done 2, Foothills and redid Shenandoah National Park of AT. Hope to eventually do some of the others.

outdoors.com/6-amazing-long-hi…or-the-appalachian-trail/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• I've hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail and liked it. The trail is actually a PA state park and costs a few dollars to camp at the predetermined sites. For the fee you get a shelter with chimney, firewood, water and toilet. And rangers do. Sometimes check. We hiked it on spring and loved it. Tons of wild flowers bloomed while we hiked that trail.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail and liked it. The trail is actually a PA state park and costs a few dollars to camp at the predetermined sites. For the fee you get a shelter with chimney, firewood, water and toilet. And rangers do. Sometimes check. We hiked it on spring and loved it. Tons of wild flowers bloomed while we hiked that trail.
      That is one I would like to do in a few years. Thanks for sharing your experience with it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've hiked the Laurel Highlands Trail and liked it. The trail is actually a PA state park and costs a few dollars to camp at the predetermined sites. For the fee you get a shelter with chimney, firewood, water and toilet. And rangers do. Sometimes check. We hiked it on spring and loved it. Tons of wild flowers bloomed while we hiked that trail.
      Yes. this looks like a nice trail to check out. I was looking at their web site. I was wondering about camping. It says you must reserve shelters in advance and that dispersed camping in the state park is not allowed. However the map suggests some of the trail goes through state forest and game areas where dispersed camping is allowed. But elsewhere it says the entire trail is in the State Park. Do you know if dispersed camping is allowed in the State Forest or State Game areas along the trail?

Plus I see the southern trail head is only 4 miles from Fallingwater, the most famous of Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

And it's only 500 miles from home. Closer than a lot of the other trails I am considering (like Sweden). And I get to drive across the Ohio and PA turnpikes. Oh Goody.