Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

May Sections

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• May Sections

Let's suppose I wanted to do a ~3 week AT section in May. Something like:
      • Springer to Standing Bear
      • Standing Bear to Damascus
      • Damascus to Stony Creek
      • Four Pine to Big Meadows
      • Compton Gap to Duncannon
      These are in the 200 to 250 mile range and selected to connect with previous sections i have done, but other suggestion appreciated. What would be your advice?

As a bonus, picking a section where both trailheads could be accessed by public transport/shuttle would be nice. Otherwise I could drive to the destination and shuttle to the start point.
    • odd man out wrote:

Let's suppose I wanted to do a ~3 week AT section in May. Something like:
      • Springer to Standing Bear
      • Standing Bear to Damascus
      • Damascus to Stony Creek
      • Four Pine to Big Meadows
      • Compton Gap to Duncannon
      These are in the 200 to 250 mile range and selected to connect with previous sections i have done, but other suggestion appreciated. What would be your advice?

As a bonus, picking a section where both trailheads could be accessed by public transport/shuttle would be nice. Otherwise I could drive to the destination and shuttle to the start point.
      I can help out with Damascus to Stony creek section. I am still working at Angel's Rest Hiker Haven in Pearisburg, VA. Pick up via Greyhound, Smart or Megabus in Blacksburg, VA : Amtrack & airport in Roanoke. Just be awre bubble is here in May!
    • I would recommend Springer to Standing Bear. Can fly in to Atlanta. Get shuttle out of Standing Bear.

Opportunity to hike with thru-hikers from the beginning. Others might hike with thru hikers, but they will already have their legs, and probably will not able to keep up. Plus just a logical start to an eventual section hike of entire AT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I would recommend Springer to Standing Bear. Can fly in to Atlanta. Get shuttle out of Standing Bear.

Opportunity to hike with thru-hikers from the beginning. Others might hike with thru hikers, but they will already have their legs, and probably will not able to keep up. Plus just a logical start to an eventual section hike of entire AT.
      I was thinking starting at Springer in May would be behind most of the thru hikers. True that the other sections would more crowded.

Where would a shuttle from Standing Bear go to connect to public transportation?
    • Behind most, but not all. Mid-March to April is probably most popular now, but May provides better weather. Nice to be around some hikers. Although warning: will make you want to eventually do entire trail.

Pushing on to Hot Springs would get you close to Ashville. Just a few more days and better logistics (bus, airport) and an interesting town to visit (SF or Austin of NC). Also set up decent logistics for next hike. And now that you have your trail legs those few extra days should be fun. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Behind most, but not all. Mid-March to April is probably most popular now, but May provides better weather. Nice to be around some hikers. Although warning: will make you want to eventually do entire trail.

Pushing on to Hot Springs would get you close to Ashville. Just a few more days and better logistics (bus, airport) and an interesting town to visit (SF or Austin of NC). Also set up decent logistics for next hike. And now that you have your trail legs those few extra days should be fun. :)
      Good ideas. As for doing the entire trail, it will be a major accomplishment to my wife to be happy with me being away for a few weeks. One thing in my favor is one of her friend's husband did a thru hike when he retired. I am all in on peer pressure.

We've been to Asheville a couple times. It's a good stopover between home and daughter/grandchildren in Raleigh. We always eat at Bouchon on Lexington Ave.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• I'll throw a plug in for the Compton Gap to Duncannon section in May. A nice time to hike in southern PA and well ahead of the bubble. No worries about dry water sources either.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

... And now that you have your trail legs those few extra days should be fun. :)
      Having done only short sections, I've never gotten to the point of having trail legs. I've wondered how many days/miles it may take to notice a difference.
      Roughly two weeks. But your ymmv.

Favorite hike was nearly 7 weeks from James River Bridge, VA to Pawling, NY. Despite doing 6 weeks of it with torn rotar cuff. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Roughly two weeks. But your ymmv.
      Favorite hike was nearly 7 weeks from James River Bridge, VA to Pawling, NY. Despite doing 6 weeks of it with torn rotar cuff. :)
      I limped into the road crossing south of Dragons Tooth with one functional knee and saw a 60-something thru hiker cruise by at 4 mph having hiked 20+ miles that day. That was demoralizing.