Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The AT has been ruined and I'm not the only one who says this

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

Hey Matt,
      Could you please tell us where to find these hiking "RULES" that you are referring to ? Thanks for your help in setting us all straight.
      The "RULES" as you so say, aren't rules and I never said they were. But to answer your question of the "base standard" to how the trail gets done, hiking itself says that through the natural course of progression for a little over 30 years (from the 1970's up to and into the early 2000's). All the safety nets people are using now (Which is the only way they can get through the trail), either didn't exist back then or it was very seldom used, case in point, there was no calling for an Uber, or using Hostel services to get to and from town, getting rides all over the place wasn't happening as the only way to get a ride was to hitch hike, using apps to locate anything didn't exist, people stayed in their tents or whatever type of portable shelter they brought, they endured the trail and it's hardships, no one ran into a hostel just because of a storm they dealt with all that and then some from the 1970's - the early 2000's.
      Sure some people stayed in a hostel or 2 hear and there, but they were far and few in between compared to what's going on now with people staying inside and eating in fine dining and other establishments (Everyone is sight seeing not hiking, which is that's what all anyone is doing now which BTW this NEW method of getting through the trail has only surfaced in the past 6 years.

You can blame the hostel and trail angels for this mess because they saw this generation of babies (They have everything handed to them, and skate through difficult things with ease) and turned it into a for profit business.

Lets talk about the hundred mile wilderness which had no resupply points at all, and those signs which have a warning on them about don't go through here without at least 10 day supply of food and water because there is no resupply points, now has 3 of them thanks to hostel owners thus destroying the entire section of how that was done. Just remove those signs because they have absolutely no point anymore.

The trail before this crap it has turned into was an actual challenge that only a very select few could do, now coddles people. Hell there is talk about trail angels setting up shop in there. What was once a challenge is now a playground at recess where no one has to have any hiking experience at all can do because all they have to do is whip out their credit card or just go to an ATM and pay for whatever they want.

People who understand hiking (actual hiker) are completely disgusted with the shitshow the entire trail has turned into. The babies who want to argue, disagree, make excuses and say get with the times, are the problem. BTW everything I said above about how the trail was being done between the 1970's-the early 2000's has been very thoroughly documented.

Anyone that claims to be a thru-hiker needs to be forced to do the trail how it was back in the 1970's do that and watch what happens.

The fact you even have to ask what you did shows you're either totally clueless or one of those defending this crap. You cannot take the current pay-your-way through method people are using to get through the trail, and wipe out the 30+ year required method as if the brad new method has always been used. That isn't how things work

Anyone not doing the trail the way it was back in the 1970's-the early 2000's isn't hiking the trail.
    • Matt_C wrote:

I admit that I have not hiked the AT and don't know a shelter from a hostel. And don't even start about huts. What are those - just another place to obtain respite while cheesing your way along the AT? But I do know that a thru-hike of the AT means that you need to sleep in your tent every night. That's a fact and anyone who disagrees with me has no place being on the trail. If you don't believe me, then you're mistaken.

It's obvious that almost all of you replying in this thread are the types of people who would do the following:
      You would make YouTube videos based 100% on personal opinions and then insist that the opinions are 100% factual.
      Fixed it for you.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Matt_C wrote:

I admit that I have not hiked the AT and don't know a shelter from a hostel. And don't even start about huts. What are those - just another place to obtain respite while cheesing your way along the AT? But I do know that a thru-hike of the AT means that you need to sleep in your tent every night. That's a fact and anyone who disagrees with me has no place being on the trail. If you don't believe me, then you're mistaken.

It's obvious that almost all of you replying in this thread are the types of people who would do the following:
      You would make YouTube videos based 100% on personal opinions and then insist that the opinions are 100% factual.
      Fixed it for you.
      Aww how cute, an edited reply that has nothing at all to do with the facts. Someone doesn't have to have actually done anything to point out mommy and daddies credit card/trust fund babies use their $$ to cut out all the actual work. Everyone on the face of this planet is fully aware that money can buy anything this includes buying your way through a trail to get out of any and all real work.

Come on people come up with a new counter argument, the whole if you haven't done it you cannot say anything mentality doesn't work or apply here. it's also getting very boring
    • hikerboy wrote:

I'm anxious to see how well you do next year.If I were you, I'd worry about my own hike instead of worrying about everyone else's.
      Unfortunately for you and others I cannot be bullied into submission to not talk a problem you all created with your money and it's about time someone said this to all of your faces.

My hike isn't relevant, what is relevant is how none of you can even last 1 week on the trail without your money, crying about the rain and being cold and running to staying inside in a bed, taking zero days 2-6 days in, slack packing, eating in town, yeah a bunch of trust fund babies or ones that have mommy and daddy's credit card, you all cannot even last a week on the trail, and you have the testicular fortitude to come at me with your nonsense telling me to mind my business when I point that out, get lost. BTW not that I have to justify this to you or anyone else reading this, but I'm actually putting real work into my hike unlike this clown show.

What is relevant is you trust fund babies and money clowns came over trying to buy your way into a place that had meaning and destroying it with your money and when that gets exposed you all get aggressive and start telling everyone to mind their business. You think you all can just invade a space you clearly can't handle for even a week which proves you can't handle it, then people not call you out..That isn't how this works. People who put real work into the trail are sick to death of you money trolls acting like no one has any business saying anything to you about how lazy you are.

And one final thing, people buying their way through is the main cause of why some of you die out on the trail, it's because you all don't know how to handle real situations because you always use your money to buy your way out of any difficulty so you wind up with situations such as Christopher Roma, supposed experienced hikers yet have no clue how to actually deal with real situations because they never endure the trail, another one is Maddie From beer in beautiful places, stayed in Taj Mahal style places for more than 3/4 of her trip, she couldn't handle the rain and had to run inside very chance she could, then when she hit Maine she ran into a serious problem that almost got other people hurt. Furthermore Maddie went on some podcasts and outright lied about she didn't know what was up coming because for 2 months prior to her reaching that point, she was told by me and several other people that if she continued buying her way through the trail, she was going to run into a problem in NH or Maine..so she full well knew.

So quit acting like what I posted isn't an actual problem and no one should be talking about it.

TBH I personally do give one rats ass how anyone goes through the trail take a plane if you want, but when people ignore the problem when it's pointed out, then cry about something happening to someone because they ignored the problem, sorry that's when I refuse to stay silent. This isn't about me this is about the money trolls are going to wreck my experience because of their idiocy.. That's my actual problem. Want to do this then do it after I complete my hike.

StalkingTortoise wrote:

So it is all about money. Got it. That explains a lot.
      It 100% has become all about money and everyone can see it. These trust fund spoiled rich people saw a place that had meaning, wanted a piece of it, realizing they couldn't do it legitimate, and have to buy their way in.
      What's funny is how everyone keeps ignoring the 30+ years that dictates how hiking the AT is done as if that has no relevance. These people cannot even last a week on the trail without having to run inside when the weather gets cold and or rainy, making excuses for slack pack 2-4 days in..you kidding me.

What really gets me is how people actually believe what they're doing is hiking. These are the same ones who use an RV to travel around and then have the audacity to say they're camping.
      The trail used to be something meaningful, now it's just full of wannabe trolls who want to use the name of the AT to garner views and real hikers are sick of all of you ruining things with money

Funny how both of you totally ignored what I said what has happened to the 100 mile wilderness and what is being talked about regarding trail angels going in there as if it's no big deal.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Matt_C ().

• Matt_C,
      Please do yourself a favor and just go hike the AT. It is a wonderful experience that I believe will help you evolve. Once you do it you will gain valuable experience and develop a much more balanced perspective of things.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Matt_C,
      Please do yourself a favor and just go hike the AT. It is a wonderful experience that I believe will help you evolve. Once you do it you will gain valuable experience and develop a much more balanced perspective of things.
      My perspective is just fine. But what people need to get through their head is that If these trust fund babies and people who have mommy and daddy's money keep infiltrating the trail, I won't be able to do my hike the trail has already had 1 forced change so telling me not to talk about this and mind my business isn't going to happen because their behavior is starting to interfere with my hike.
    • You're very angry, for no reason.
      There are plenty of long distance trails you can hike if you want a more pure experience. But the AT is what it is. Hostels have been around for decades, it's not something new. And most thru hikers do NOT hostel hop.When you spend 5 or 6 months in the woods, believe it or not, a hot shower is a good idea once in a while. This whole nonsense about trust fund babies is even funnier. As I've said before, you are absolutely clueless as to what it takes to trhu hike.And thru hikers constitue less than 1% of the people who hike the AT.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

You're very angry, for no reason.
      Angry for no reason? Oh right nvm, you're one of those people!
      You all can say to me what you will, think of me what you will, however all anyone is doing now is just another variant of yellow blazing (Skipping all the real work)

real hikers are able to last for more than a week before doing what normally would take place at least 1000 miles in without making some excuse to run off the trail and go inside, slack pack, get rides all over the place. You all aren't even trying any more at this point. You all want recognition for doing something you aren't actually doing and earning it yet complaining about other people yellow blazing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Matt_C ().

• Why do all of you keep on trying to push the whole when you hike the AT yourself then talk agenda?
      Why are you all acting like people with money haven't already and are continually wrecking the trail?
      Why are you all acting like 30+ years of people roughing it on the trail and embracing the suck never happened?
      Why do all of you try to bully people into silence, and guilt shame them into not talking about the current state of the trail because of people with money, by attempting to do exactly what you're all trying to do to me here in this forum?

I gotta hand it to you all, you are trying to turn a tough trek that had meaning and few people could accomplish, into a sight seeing tourist attraction with no hardships that now any fool can do.

Every complaint listed in this topic is a fact, and thousands of people are sick of it.

You all can't even last a week on the trail before having to slack pack, run inside, whine about it being too cold and rainy, and get rides everywhere, while trying to come at me with irrelevant arguments and failed counter points.

Why are all even bringing anything like a tent since you aren't using them?
    • Why do all of you keep on trying to push the whole when you hike the AT yourself then talk agenda?
      Matt C., because it is evident from your posts that you have a lot to learn. Please don't take that in a negative way, I have a lot still to learn too. But, it seems reasonable to say that the best way to learn about hiking the AT would be to actually hike the AT

Why are you all acting like people with money haven't already and are continually wrecking the trail?
      Here is the thing Matt C., if you didn't come in here all guns a blazing looking to have a reasonable exchange of ideas, I think you would find some areas of agreement with some people on the forum. But people with different ideas than you seem to make you very angry. There is no sense having a conversation with someone in a rage. That is why I also encourage you to go take a hike. I am hopeful that some time alone in the woods will bring you some inner peace. 'Solvitur ambulando!'

Why are you all acting like 30+ years of people roughing it on the trail and embracing the suck never happened?
      The trail is a different place than it was 50 years ago, isn't it. There are more services, hostels, trail angels, apps and everything else that makes the hike just a little easier. And, I suppose the hikers have changed a bit too. I wish I had done a thru-hike when I was young and fit 50 years ago. You are right, it would have been a different experience than today. But, why yell at a cloud? To wish the AT had never changed would be selfish of me. In a way, it is great to see so many people now enjoying the outdoors. Besides, there are still plenty of other long trails out there that can give you a more primitive experience. You should consider one of those.

Why do all of you try to bully people into silence, and guilt shame them into not talking about the current state of the trail because of people with money, by attempting to do exactly what you're all trying to do to me here in this forum?
      Oh my goodness MattC, look in the mirror. Self awareness is a wonderful thing.

I gotta hand it to you all, you are trying to turn a tough trek that had meaning and few people could accomplish, into a sight seeing tourist attraction with no hardships that now any fool can do.
      The trail would have changed with or without anyone here in this forum. Please don't blame us for your disappointment. And yes, maybe until you experience for yourself how easy the trail is, maybe you should not criticize those who have hiked it.

Every complaint listed in this topic is a fact, and thousands of people are sick of it.
      Well, I'm pretty sure the 'trust fund' thing is incorrect, but whatever. When I read hiker trail journals I see some joy, some sorrow, and some complaints along the way, but I have never seen thousands of complaints that the AT has changed from what it was 50 years ago. There are a few, I admit. If you have a source for your claim of thousands, I would love to see it.

You all can't even last a week on the trail before having to slack pack, run inside, whine about it being too cold and rainy, and get rides everywhere, while trying to come at me with irrelevant arguments and
      failed counter points.
      I do fail to understand your obsession with other people's hikes. What do you care what they are doing? You are welcome to make your hike as hard as you choose. You did cause me to look up what the longest was I every went on trail without any kind of resupply. It was 9 days on the John Muir trail. I know that will not meet your expectations for a real hiker, but it was hard for me. There are practical limitations to how much food a person can carry and trust me, a nine day food supply filled my bear canister and then some.

Why are all even bringing anything like a tent since you aren't using them?
      Matt C, you will be happy to know that I do not bring a tent when I hike.

Now a question for you MattC, am I to understand from your previous post that you have given up on your dream to hike the AT? Don't be a quitter Matt, the first step is the hardest step. I firmly believe that 'You've Got This!'
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • This isn't about me and what I have or have not done, how about stop changing the subject and trying to derail the topic.

Why do all of you have such a major problem with someone showing the trail is slowly getting destroyed because of people and their money which does directly affect me My experience is getting screwed up because peopel aren't hiking and buying their way through. yet you all act like you have no clue why I'm commenting on the way others go through this...you kidding me.

Lets take a real good look at what's happening here shall we:

The hundred mile wilderness is exactly what happens when all you trust fund babies and people with mommy and daddy's money use that money to buy your way through. That section of the trail has gone from a real challenge, to a walk in the park now anyone can do and yes people paying their way through caused that to happen, and now people are wanting trail angels to set up in there..The hundred mile wilderness shyt how is what's slowly happening to the entire trail because of you buy your way through you're a bunch of pansy's that just have to destroy everything then attempt to bully people into not talking about it.

What's really disturbing about this whole situation is how all of you here actually believe people paying their way through and them being out there walking around is somehow still hiking and isn't destroying anything (Despite the proof shown by looking at what the hundred mile wilderness has become compared to what it once was. Someone being out there walking around and doing 15 easy days, isn't a counterpoint nor a counter argument.

How someone gets to the end of the AT is what matters but all you people here want to do is just look at someone being at the end without paying any attention as to how they got there..yet you will make the exception for yellow blazing which is interesting because the way people are going through the trail nowadays is just anther form of yellow blazing.

I'm waiting for any of you telling me to go do the trail, for you yourselves to go out and last more than 1 month on the trail without all the bullshyt you're all using now. Go do the trail like people had to do it in the 1970's- early 2000's before telling me to go out there and hike it.

This isn't about me, this is about you all who believe there is nothing wrong with destroying what was once a challenging trail, by people pulling what they're doing buying their way through which removes all hardships and challenges from the trail then acting like you have absolutely no clue to why anyone who is affected by these changes, is complaining about it?

People buying their way through have no right to claim they're hiking the AT and they haven't earned that title either and 30+ years of how people did the trail from the 1970's to the early 2000's says that.

So quit arguing, changing the subject, and defending the current crap.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Matt_C ().

• LIhikers wrote:

Matt
      , you said " ...whine about it being too cold ...." I've slept outside, on the ground without a tent at 34 below zero F. That was in northern Minnesota in middle of winter, so what's your experience with cold weather camping?
      First of all this is about the clowns on the AT who if you go watch any video on youtube right now, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who got further than a week on the trail without them going indoors to a hostel/hotel and also weren't slack packing. As of now the only channel I found that has stayed out so far with no life threatening situations, is called I suck at hiking, but even he is only 4-5 days in however he may do it but who knows every other of the 40 channels I've watched have not lasted a week without going in and or slack packing"

But since you all want to get into experience then fine, to answer your question about my cold weather exp lets see first of all I spent almost all my life in New England, MA to be exact.

There was me going primitive camping every other week with the school I was in throughout the entire winter in various sections of the White mountains, and other parts of upper Northern New Hampshire. We had to strap snow shoes on, trek through sometimes 2-4 feet of snow into the woods, take out a hatchet and clear out a section to pitch tent, gather fire wood, leave camp to go hike in sometimes -10 degree with wind chill at about -25, or my favorite story I love to brag about is one time in boy scouts a number of times where it was -20 below and me and this other people were the only 2 warm and we were forced to leave because everyone else was too cold and it became life threatening...I personally didn't want to go I was enjoying myself. I always say if it's life threatening then be smart and get off the trail.

BTW me and the other person that night only had on T-Shirts at 2am. Oh yeah we didn't have any of the easy gear that exists now, I've gotten Strep throat a few times I had to ride it out with no antibiotics, had my tent flooded more than once with no air mattress. I will say the worst incident I ran into was the freezing rain with 25 MPH winds while it was 10 degrees out and everything I had was soaked this was at en elevation of 3500 feet. I've also been subject to various situations I wouldn't wish on anyone. I also know there are people who have been in worse conditions than me so I count my blessings.

But next time any of you want to come at me, you might want to get information first before trying to talk down to me and trying to turn this into a pissing contest. I'm not here to be pitted against anyone. I'm here to complain about people screwing up the trail which seems that no one here cares if that happens.

As I said if people want to screw up the trail, wait until I'm done my hike maybe you all don't care if the trail gets f'd up, but I do because it directly impacts my hike and I know you all understand that so stop acting mystified as you have no idea why I would be complaining about others doing the trail a specific way

The post was edited 11 times, last by Matt_C ().

• You're very entertaining, but you do need to get out more.When you do, you'll find yourself sharing the trail with not just thru hikers, but section hikers and dayhikers as well. And how they hike really has no influence on your hike except making you angrier. If you want to do a good warm up, do the Benton Mackaye trail. all primitive campsites, no hostels, very few towns. 290 miles, and I've gone 3 to 4 days without seeing a single person.
      I can see you really don't have the mental mindset to thru hike, so a training hike is in order.
      Life's too short. Enjoy it.
      its all good
    • If you're getting most of your information from YouTube vloggers, you're not getting very good information. The vast majority of vloggers fail, most before they've gotten halfway. And the vast majority of thru hikers don't vlog. A few thousand people a year attempt a thru hike, and you've probably watched no more than a handful of vloggers. You should also know that the AT was never designed with thru hiking in mind and that the AMC huts predate the AT itself. Maybe read up on Myron Avery and Benton Mackaye's vision, and how the trail came to be created.
      Oh, also, in the Smokies you can't camp in your tent. You are required to stay in shelters.
      You have so much to learn to prepare, but you'd rather spend your time yelling at clouds.
      Have fun.
      its all good
    • Reminds so much of the Jimmy Buffett line "don't try to describe the ocean if you have never seen it."

While I tried to read and learn as much as I could about the AT, how I really learned was by actually doing it. And you run into so many different types of people, it really is not worth getting mad at them, especially before you even meet them.
    • Matt_C, if you've read some books on hiking the AT, and I mean books that are first person, could you share the titles of the books you've read? There are some great ones. Not the "Woke up, ate, packed....hiked". More the personal growth, or historical areas the AT goes through. There are a few titles from the last 5 decades and I hope you have read a few of those. the book "A Walk In the Woods" (AWITW) doesn't count.

I also can't find my Trust Fund. My dad, a career USAF pilot told me when I was 13, I needed to work and save because there was zero funds for trade school, college or anything. I went to work at 14. I made $1.05 an hour being a "Gate guard" at a Virginia pool ( You had to be 15 to be a life guard and declaring me a Gate Guard let them pay me less and skirt the rules. I was up on the chair watching the pool, until a State Inspector showed up). When I turned 15 that summer, I got a nickle an hour raise and became legal as a life guard. I spent some of the funds getting my VA Pool Operator License and my Senior and Advance Senior Red Cross certifications. They were super happy I got that last one as the pool I was at was by a Virginia lake and we were first responders to any water incident in the lake, until the fire department could get there. By the next summer when I was 16 I was then the youngest pool manager the company had. I was a senior in college before my dad (who'd retired from USAF) could fund a semester of college, allowing me to graduate by that fall instead of working to pay for the next semester. Back in those days, we hiked in the Shenandoah. We climbed Old Rag and back then, spent the night in our tents, just below the summit. I scrimped and saved all my life, as has my wife. Trust fund?

What little knowledge I have of hiking, I've gleaned from forums like this one, books about hiking, books about the AT, going out on shake downs (Even hammock hung at 14 degrees), and very important, gleaned from other people who I've had the privilege of hiking with. We can all learn from one another's success and failures. There is one person I watch on YouTube and that is about Hammocks.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • On my first section hike in 2003, my buddy Receding Hare had pre-cooked prime rib servings (from Omaha Steaks) Fed-Ed's to the Mohican Outdoor Center. We ate like kings. After a hot shower, of course.

I'm going to do the same as often as possible in the 100-Mile Wilderness. Life's too short to live it uncivilized.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

On my first section hike in 2003, my buddy Receding Hare had pre-cooked prime rib servings (from Omaha Steaks) Fed-Ed's to the Mohican Outdoor Center. We ate like kings. After a hot shower, of course.

I'm going to do the same as often as possible in the 100-Mile Wilderness. Life's too short to live it uncivilized.
      I am.planning a HMW hike for this summer. Where are the hot showers that accept FedEx deliveries between Monson and Abol Bridge? Must be at all of those secret hostels.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

@'hikerboy "Is one of those people". I don't know what that means but I fully support the statement.
      He must be referring to how I used my trust fund money to ruin the thru hiking experience for everyone.
      Hey, all I can say is I appreciate you using your "trust fund money" to help Coach Lou slack pack me in NY and then even gave me half your sub when I met you in Harriman. Definitely didn't ruin my hike. Instead some of my favorite memories. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Me and Kathy are thinking of starting one of those hostels, that ruins the trail, here on Long Island. It would require a veeery loooong blue blaze side trail. :D
      No blue blaze necessary. You'll shuttle them to the hostel, and they'll dip into their trust fund money and pay you for the ride
      Great Idea ! We could use Kathy's 1978 VW bus as the shuttle vehicle.
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

you could take the train from Pawling. Is there a "_______ Blazing" for travel by rail?
      Steel-Blazing? Silver-Blazing? Rail-Blazing?
      Silver Streak great classic movie. Love the line where Richard Pryor introduces himself as "I'm a thief". :)
      Great Cast. Gene Wilder, Scatman Crothers stealing scenes, Jill Clayburgh, Patrick McGoohan ultimate sinister ruthless badguy, Ned Beatty as the Vitamin salesman talking about scoring with the ladies, but he's an undercover cop, Clifton James as the sheriff stealing scenes (Don't Shoot!), and Ray Walson NOT playing "Aloha Mr. Hand"....And don't overlook Fred Willard and Richard Kiel.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

you could take the train from Pawling. Is there a "_______ Blazing" for travel by rail?
      Steel-Blazing? Silver-Blazing? Rail-Blazing?
      Silver Streak great classic movie. Love the line where Richard Pryor introduces himself as "I'm a thief". :)
      Great Cast. Gene Wilder, Scatman Crothers stealing scenes, Jill Clayburgh, Patrick McGoohan ultimate sinister ruthless badguy, Ned Beatty as the Vitamin salesman talking about scoring with the ladies, but he's an undercover cop, Clifton James as the sheriff stealing scenes (Don't Shoot!), and Ray Walson NOT playing "Aloha Mr. Hand"....And don't overlook Fred Willard and Richard Kiel.
      I know I may sound like an old man (probably because I am ;) ), but just don't seem to make them like they used to.
    • Since we're jumping into the wayback machine, my wife and I are watching 'Soap' on DVD. Groundbreaking what that show did back in 1977.

Maybe the old man thing to say is:

Movies have been ruined and I'm not the only one who says this!