Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The AT has been ruined and I'm not the only one who says this

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

The sad part is he really isn't willing to listen to what's being suggested to him. For someone who is into investigations, you'd think he could do a better job of navigating to FarOUt's how to page. Instead, it's just one rant after another.
      I think most of us here would be willing to tell him whatever he needs to know, but he takes each suggestion as an attack.
      I agree. I know I have learned so much from you and others here, and I always want to pay it forward when I have the opportunity.
      It is like he found the water source of knowledge and experience, but refuses to drink, and will complain about being thirsty later. ?(
      And faulting everyone else......

On TOS, at least one of his posts has been commented on by the Admin/Moderator and closed.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • One my favorite quotes I created is:

Opinions are a lot like savings accounts,
      nearly everyone has one,
      but some are worth a whole lot more than others

And of course like a savings account, the value of an opinion is based upon what you have invested in it (such as experience in this case). :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, Alligator directed him to the User Agreement and told him to read it carefully.
      It's off the rails on TOS on several threads. One's been closed.
      The person also posted a reply to Alligator that was.....inflammatory?
      There are also what I suspect are quickly typed out responses by the certain person as there are extra words, possibly words missing, and incorrect words. Incinerate was used when I think the OP meant Insinuate.

Get your popcorn!

I'm wondering if a certain person will be banned in the next few days.
    • Saw this in today's paper and immediately thought of the Farout / AWOL rant.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

Saw this in today's paper an immediately thought of the Farout / AWOL rant.

I also incinerated....No....Immediately thought of the poster.

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I'm wondering if a certain person will be banned in the next few days
      of course we all know where TOS exiles go. ;)
      Where? Here? He was here before he was there.....
    • rhjanes wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Saw this in today's paper an immediately thought of the Farout / AWOL rant.

I also incinerated....No....Immediately thought of the poster.

odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

I'm wondering if a certain person will be banned in the next few days
      of course we all know where TOS exiles go. ;)
      Where? Here? He was here before he was there.....
      I guees he decided to take the reverse commute.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I know PETA doesn't condone beating a dead horse, but...

I guess that when you join a forum and insult or aggravate folks that try to offer information, you're not going to make many friends.

Mrs. Tortoise and I had brisket sandwiches on our drive to Asheville on Tuesday, brisket & egg burritos on the drive home Saturday, and then stopped one more time to refuel and grab a pair of brisket sandwiches for Sunday's dinner. I'm Buc-ee'd out. I had forgotten about the relatively new Sevierville Buc-ee's north of Gatlinburg so we passed two each way. Gas was $2.63 / gallon.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

On TOS he asked if anyone has a Kackwa55 pack because he'd had some questions. I decided to reply that I did. No follow up as of yet.
      Yes - the thread where he explained his foolproof gear buying process. "I create a list of my 'must-haves' for a piece of gear. Then I spend weeks researching available options. Then I move some of my 'must-haves' into the 'wants' column. Then I settle for a piece of gear that has 70% of my 'must-haves' and ignore the 30% of the 'must-haves' that are missing."

And we can't forget the sealed Mylar dehydrated food pouches with bear-proof scent-lock technology. So good that Matt_C doesn't need to use a bear canister. Not that he's saying he won't, just that he doesn't need to.

I dunno... maybe all this bravado is an attempt to psyche himself up and create a motivation to avoid quitting once he hits the trail.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

On TOS he asked if anyone has a Kackwa55 pack because he'd had some questions. I decided to reply that I did. No follow up as of yet.
      Yes - the thread where he explained his foolproof gear buying process. "I create a list of my 'must-haves' for a piece of gear. Then I spend weeks researching available options. Then I move some of my 'must-haves' into the 'wants' column. Then I settle for a piece of gear that has 70% of my 'must-haves' and ignore the 30% of the 'must-haves' that are missing."
      And we can't forget the sealed Mylar dehydrated food pouches with bear-proof scent-lock technology. So good that Matt_C doesn't need to use a bear canister. Not that he's saying he won't, just that he doesn't need to.

I dunno... maybe all this bravado is an attempt to psyche himself up and create a motivation to avoid quitting once he hits the trail.
      If he really wants to learn, I'd be happy to help, but so far, his listening skills have not been very impressive.
      its all good
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

He might be on a brief vacation compliments of the Admin. :)
      uh oh, would that mean Matt_C might wind up at the AT Cafe ?
      He hit here first. I think he will enjoy the wider audience at TOS.
    • hikerboy wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Yes - the thread where he explained his foolproof gear buying process. "I create a list of my 'must-haves' for a piece of gear. Then I spend weeks researching available options. Then I move some of my 'must-haves' into the 'wants' column. Then I settle for a piece of gear that has 70% of my 'must-haves' and ignore the 30% of the 'must-haves' that are missing."And we can't forget the sealed Mylar dehydrated food pouches with bear-proof scent-lock technology. So good that Matt_C doesn't need to use a bear canister. Not that he's saying he won't, just that he doesn't need to.

If he really wants to learn, I'd be happy to help, but so far, his listening skills have not been very impressive.
      Very True
      I posted in his postings on TOS about technology, with ideas to NOT use technology. Zero acknowledgement or discussion of other options. I'm forgetting his other posts on TOS where I offered up an alternative. Zero response.

His MO seems to be, 1) Swoop in and post some manifesto using a 12 gauge shotgun with double-0 shot in it. 2) Blast all responses. 3) Name call everyone else.

I'd offer a diagnosis but I only play a doctor on the internet/mess.
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

On TOS, he joined 11/18 and was last online 11/21. A week ago. Admin/Mod closed a thread after posting that Matt-C needed to carefully read the Terms of Use/Service. I'm not sure how to check if he's been banned or what.

I think I missed the pack thread. It would probably make my head hurt.
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

On TOS, he joined 11/18 and was last online 11/21. A week ago. Admin/Mod closed a thread after posting that Matt-C needed to carefully read the Terms of Use/Service. I'm not sure how to check if he's been banned or what.
      I think I missed the pack thread. It would probably make my head hurt.
      The pack thread would make your head hurt. He had questions on his new pack, acknowledged that the manufacturer provided a location to ask questions, but then said he had questions that the manufacturer would not be able to answer. All this without actually asking any specific questions on the pack.

Oh yeah... when asked how he liked the pack, he replied that he couldn't provide a review because he hasn't used it. And that's where his response morphed into the official Matt_C irrefutable gear selection manifesto.

• here is the best paragraph

"You see, I pick gear 100% differently than anyone else. The method I use is unorthodox and people will almost advise against it. Keep in mind that the method I use always works because of the procedure I use to determine what piece of gear I want. The piece of gear I buy, has already been chosen as the piece I'm going to be using. There is no testing phase to find out if it works. If I have a piece of gear that means it's going to work I don't need to test it."
    • odd man out wrote:

here is the best paragraph

"You see, I pick gear 100% differently than anyone else. The method I use is unorthodox and people will almost advise against it. Keep in mind that the method I use always works because of the procedure I use to determine what piece of gear I want. The piece of gear I buy, has already been chosen as the piece I'm going to be using. There is no testing phase to find out if it works. If I have a piece of gear that means it's going to work I don't need to test it."
      Doesn't he also state in a post on TOS, that he has very little hiking experience?
    • Just reading the "pack" thread on TOS.
      I about fell out of my chair laughing at Post number 4 who posted "Why? Did it not come with instructions?"....LOL......LOL..... gif.013.gif Yet so far, that comment seems to have gone right past....
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

here is the best paragraph

Doesn't he also state in a post on TOS, that he has very little hiking experience?
      Yes, I noticed that too...and am amazed at his VERY strong opinion about what a thru-hike is and how he equates going to hostels and hotels the same as "driving up Mount Washington and claiming you climbed it". lol. He even made a video where he specifically called out a through hiker saying "this must stop!" and "thousands of hikers agree with me", yet this tool has never done a thru-hike lol.
    • I keep trying to move on, but then Matt_C draws me back in.

An in depth review copper spur problems

And Ultralight has nothing to do with weight. Episode 1 Survival correction The ultralite lie

• lol, there's 2 comments on his video. One simply says "Karen".

I have a BA tent and the first time I set it up there was something about the guy lines that I didn't totally understand (it's been way too long to remember the details). I I sent an email to BA with my question and I got a reply an hour later. Problem solved.

I would agree with the premise of his complaint that all gear should have instructions on how to properly use the item. I have no idea if the current BA instructions are adequate for a newbie.

I'd hate to be the CSR that takes his call. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• 8 hours to not figure out a line-lok device. OK.
      Maybe I didn't understand one of his points on the BA tent. He seemed to complain that the guy lines were too long? Well, there's this function you will want called adjust-ability. You might set up near some rocks and have to extend past those to get a stake in. Or you might choose to guy out to a nearby tree and wish you had another 2 feet of line.
    • max.patch wrote:

I'd hate to be the CSR that takes his call. :)
      Could be fun.

"Sir, I need you to carefully pack up the tent and everything that came with it. Then send it back to us at our expense."

"Aha! So you're admitting that there's something wrong with it!"

"No sir. You're just too stupid and we don't our products being associated with you."